Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2025567 - 07/07/15 02:37 PM Individual DBA as LLC
TTFN Offline
New Poster
Missouri
A signature card was brought to my attention by bookkeeping - it is a joint account in personal names....DBA XXX, LLC. My first question is why would individuals open a DBA as an LLC? Are they still protected under the LLC rules? Second question... should this be coded as a Business Account? and if so ....Third question....they have a Pay-on-Death listed - can they do that?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2025571 - 07/07/15 02:42 PM Re: Individual DBA as LLC TTFN
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would call up the customer service representative that opened this account and ask them what planet are they from?? This is the worst example of someone doing something because it is what the customer said they wanted to do that I have seen in a long time. It simply is not a valid account and someone needs to start over. You need to provide your new account representatives with some serious training.

And Welcome to BOL smile

Return to Top
#2025573 - 07/07/15 02:45 PM Re: Individual DBA as LLC TTFN
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There are several questions that could be asked and an array of possible responses, but the summary response is: No, a business entity and an individual cannot open a joint account.

Check to see if your state bankers association offers training on opening new accounts or account administration and make certain the employee who opened this account attends.

Return to Top
#2025609 - 07/07/15 04:00 PM Re: Individual DBA as LLC TTFN
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Here's my guess: The two individuals wanted to open a business account for their LLC, but the LLC doesn't have its own EIN for some reason, so the new accounter decided to set it up using a DBA style so the SSN of one of the individuals could be used.

Wrong choices there, and as noted above, there could be other reasons for this mashup of account styling. Whatever it is, it isn't kosher.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2025766 - 07/07/15 08:56 PM Re: Individual DBA as LLC TTFN
TTFN Offline
New Poster
Missouri
Thanks guys! Exactly what I thought - but couldn't find anything in "black and white" to verify.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett