Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2026107 - 07/08/15 10:25 PM Access Device Being Sent to the Institution
Lil'Belle Offline
100 Club
Lil'Belle
Texas, United States
Hi. I hope someone can please direct me. I looked under Reg E but can not locate the following...
When our new accounts department orders an access device for a customer, they are having it mailed to the FI. I want to say that I remember having a compliance exam many moons ago and I was asked by the examiner: "Access devices are being mailed to the customers, correct?"
There is a liability to the bank when the access device is mailed directly to the FI.

Can someone direct me to where I could be wrong about the device mailing?

Thank you so much!!!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2026111 - 07/08/15 10:44 PM Re: Access Device Being Sent to the Institution Lil'Belle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is not a regulatory issue per se, it is a control issue. What happens to the devices when they get the branch, are they maintained under strict dual control, what keeps a branch employee from ordering a device on an inactive account and draining it. It is just not a good process from a security standpoint. Why would they not be mailed directly to the customer??

Return to Top
#2026143 - 07/09/15 01:12 PM Re: Access Device Being Sent to the Institution Lil'Belle
Lil'Belle Offline
100 Club
Lil'Belle
Texas, United States
Very good points, definitely eye opening. Thank you for that and thank you for your reply.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett