Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2026371 - 07/09/15 08:39 PM Trust Account for Company Retirement Plan
BSA Aficionado Offline
The owner of an insurance agency is seeking to establish his main operating account with us. In addition, he would like to open a general savings account for a trust that was established for their profit sharing/401(k) retirement plan. They have approximately three employees. The purpose of the general savings account is to collect employee retirement account transfers, deposit employee salary deferrals, deposit employer contributions, and to make disbursements based on employee investment directions or requested transfers. Checks deposited will be payable to "ABC Retirment Plan FBO employee." Are there any BSA/AML considerations for this type of account?
Last edited by BSA Aficionado; 07/09/15 08:40 PM.
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2026380 - 07/09/15 09:26 PM Re: Trust Account for Company Retirement Plan BSA Aficionado
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Who is the current custodian of the 401K plan for this company and why would these funds go in and out of an unrelated account that the company controls from a fiduciary standpoint?

Return to Top
#2026393 - 07/09/15 09:50 PM Re: Trust Account for Company Retirement Plan BSA Aficionado
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
I don't know about BSA/AML but I would absolutely have a written agreement in place clarifying that you are not acting as the plan administrator and assume no fiduciary responsibility over the plan, the plan documents, tax reporting or investment choices. They should also affirm that they have a plan administrator that has properly established and managers the plan.

Return to Top
#2026395 - 07/09/15 09:54 PM Re: Trust Account for Company Retirement Plan BSA Aficionado
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Or just say no.

Return to Top
#2026460 - 07/10/15 02:52 PM Re: Trust Account for Company Retirement Plan BSA Aficionado
BSA Aficionado Offline
According the documentation provided, the plan is an employer sponsored, self custodianed, and self trusteed plan. The plan requires no additional 401(k) or trust department services. The Trustee (the trustee and employer are one in the same) will use the account as a temporary holding account of employee retirement funds prior to disbursing the funds in accordance to the direction of the plan participants.

Return to Top
#2026468 - 07/10/15 03:08 PM Re: Trust Account for Company Retirement Plan BSA Aficionado
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
A QRP is a trust and it needs a checking account just like any other trust does. You need documentation of its existence and the signers' authority. In the mechanism that I am familiar with, the plan's assets are held elsewhere and funds are transferred to the checking account only when they are paid out to plan participants. (It's effectively zero balance account and no interest is paid, partially because it would screw up their accounting.)

As far as anything "special" for BSA purposes, nothing that I'm aware of.

Return to Top
#2026476 - 07/10/15 03:26 PM Re: Trust Account for Company Retirement Plan BSA Aficionado
BSA Aficionado Offline
Thank you once again for your guidance!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z