Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2026933 - 07/14/15 01:18 PM Joint Account -- Authorized Signer
jaenelle Offline
Kansas
We have an account, jointly owned by father and son. The father signed a form authorizing a woman (his girlfriend, I believe) to be an authorized signer on the account. The son did not sign this form. The father is ill and we think may pass away soon. Does the authorized signer end with his death since the son did not sign it?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2026934 - 07/14/15 01:24 PM Re: Joint Account -- Authorized Signer jaenelle
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes. Her authority ends with the death of the individual appointing her in such a case. As a matter of customer service I recommend that you contact the son if the father does die and advise him that the authorized signer's access has ended, just in case the son actually wants her to have continued account access.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2026937 - 07/14/15 01:29 PM Re: Joint Account -- Authorized Signer jaenelle
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Survivorship and agency are governed strictly by state law. The following is not based on the law of the state of Kansas, but a generality. If someone can cite you to Kansas law, take his or her advice instead.

If an account has more than one owner the better practice is to have all parties join in the appointment of an agent or convenience signer. If only one owner appoints the agent, then the appointment ends with the death of the person who appointed him or her.

When Dad dies, the girlfriend is no longer an authorized signer. Again, Kansas law may be different...

Return to Top
#2026940 - 07/14/15 01:41 PM Re: Joint Account -- Authorized Signer jaenelle
jaenelle Offline
Kansas
Thank you, Ken and John, that's what I thought based on my knowledge of Kansas law, but wanted to confirm.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett