Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2029143 - 07/23/15 02:05 PM Didn't see this happening...
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Who would of thought shocked

"Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent."

And who would have seen this coming...

"At the same time, prices appear to be going up on just about everything." shocked shocked

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/...intcmp=obinsite

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2029149 - 07/23/15 02:09 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I'm shocked. Just shocked. shocked crazy

Return to Top
#2029152 - 07/23/15 02:12 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, many a credible economist hypothesized that this would occur if mandatory increases were put in place, including loss of jobs, higher costs for product, fewer applicants; I don't recall if any stated that people would ask for fewer hours to remain eligible for free stuff, that was counter to why people were protesting. I believe the only economists who felt this were a great option and would not cause any additional hardship or price increases or job layoffs were employed by the government...

Return to Top
#2029153 - 07/23/15 02:14 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
So, you're telling me that paying employees higher wages will result in more expensive products?

And that people who get free stuff from others would rather continue getting free stuff than working for it?

Whew, I did *not* see those coming.

Return to Top
#2029155 - 07/23/15 02:14 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Next, people will be shocked when their favorite coffee shop, pizza joint, or bookstore goes out of business.

Return to Top
#2029156 - 07/23/15 02:16 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
In NY State the plan is to increase to 15.00 only the fast food people.

A heads up on "Didn't see this happening". People will leave other jobs to flip burgers partly because they can no longer afford to buy burgers as the price will go up due to increased labor costs.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2029158 - 07/23/15 02:16 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
this has already started to occur in Seattle...several small companies have closed due to employee costs and the inability to increase prices to compensate...after all, who is going to pay $7.00 for a cup of coffee when it only costs $.50 to make?

Return to Top
#2029164 - 07/23/15 02:32 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
And the next step will be increased automation and fewer humans in a business. You can look at banking to see how automation has replaced people. I saw an article a few months ago on a machine developed to cook and assemble hamburgers. It won't be long before robots are making your latte, and doing it with a more cheerful personality.

People hate to think of labor as a commodity, the same as oil or steel, but it is, and it just as price sensitive, and can be replaced with alternatives.

I really don't know why so few people seem to understand basic economics.

Return to Top
#2029168 - 07/23/15 02:38 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2029192 - 07/23/15 03:25 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
"Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent."

Have mentioned before that I sit as a commissioner on a housing authority board. Most living in pubic housing are gaming the system, at least in this community. Concealing income, taking cash on the side for small jobs, refusing to "get a real job" and all for the reason that it'll affect their ability to live off of government subsidies. I have no reason to believe the same doesn't hold true across the nation.

We're enabling a class of citizen and their gaining on us. What'll we do when the class of citizen is so large that it overwhelms us all?

Churchill's quote: "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle," has application in the case of this Seattle fiasco too.

Return to Top
#2029224 - 07/23/15 04:01 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Many a person, gender left unidentified, will continue to overpay for the mocha decaf chocolate latte whatever when they could get it from a robot at any fast food place....

but, poor people will continue to act in their best interest, from an economic standpoint and game the system....

people that have excess means act irrationally sometimes, while others do not have the luxury....

Return to Top
#2029231 - 07/23/15 04:12 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... DD Regs
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
My friend lost his 1st wife as she and her family could not convince him to quit his job and go on welfare. He is now happily re-married and owns his own business.

Return to Top
#2029232 - 07/23/15 04:13 PM Re: Didn't see this happening... Pale Rider
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By Pale Rider
Many a person, gender left unidentified, will continue to overpay for the mocha decaf chocolate latte whatever when they could get it from a robot at any fast food place....

My wife and I marvel at the line in the Starbuck's drive-thru near us all day long. The place is always busy, often more than a dozen cars in line.

In other news, SBUX has gone from $12.69 to $56.31 in the last five years.

Return to Top