BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2030474 - 07/29/15 03:41 PM There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I sometimes feel like I'm getting covered up in manure at work, but I need to remind myself that there are worse jobs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/07/28/iowa-father-son-die-manure-pit-fumes/30811157/
Last edited by BeechFlyboy; 07/29/15 03:41 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2030477 - 07/29/15 03:42 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
What a crappy way to go

Return to Top
#2030503 - 07/29/15 04:43 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer DD Regs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
the second father and son in the Midwest to die of poisonous manure pit gases this month.

Gene Opheim, 58, and his son, Austin Opheim, 32, both of Cylinder, Iowa, were rescued from the pit after the Palo Alto County Sheriff's Office received a report of two men submerged at 1:50 p.m. Saturday. Both were pronounced dead at a hospital in Emmetsburg.

I think it is high time for the government to create an agency to deal with hog farmers deaths from manure...4 in a month is too many.

and how about applying some common sense and wearing a freaking oxygen mask?

Return to Top
#2030512 - 07/29/15 04:59 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
We need a Dodd-Frank law for hog farms?

Return to Top
#2030516 - 07/29/15 05:06 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Well since DFA was a load of manure to start with...

Return to Top
#2030523 - 07/29/15 05:26 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Iowa, man, there's some dangerous stuff here. Farm related accidents happen every year, but usually they don't stink this bad. More in the way of drowning in grain bins, caught in combines, etc.

Return to Top
#2030550 - 07/29/15 06:31 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
If anybody proposes more regulations that might affect the production of bacon, they will have to go through ME! grin

Return to Top
#2030556 - 07/29/15 06:48 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
#ONENANA Offline
New Poster
Texas Girl
Panic attack!!!! Affect the production of bacon wait..... what.....I'm scared!

Return to Top
#2030568 - 07/29/15 07:14 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I don't care what piece of equipment fell into the pit. I'd buy a new one before I climb down "under the slats." I grew up a city boy, but managed to spend 10 years lending in country banks. Just going inside a hog house in the summer takes some getting used to.

Return to Top
#2030594 - 07/29/15 08:01 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
The Bank I work at is in this area of NW Iowa.
It is a horrible accident and what no ever wants to every happen. I agree, that the tool wasn't worth going after. But just like with any accident, you don't always think correctly before you go after the tool or whatever.

We also had a drowning in the area the day before, because someone went in after someone in distress. The saved the person they went after, and lost their own life in the process. Again, they thought they would be okay. As that report said, you should throw something instead of going and risking your own life.

None of us know when or how we are going to go.

Both accidents very sad.

Return to Top
#2030597 - 07/29/15 08:02 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer fun grandma
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By fun grandma
It is a horrible accident and what no ever wants to every happen. I agree, that the tool wasn't worth going after. But just like with any accident, you don't always think correctly before you go after the tool or whatever.

We also had a drowning in the area the day before, because someone went in after someone in distress. The saved the person they went after, and lost their own life in the process. Again, they thought they would be okay. As that report said, you should throw something instead of going and risking your own life.

Both accidents very sad.

But there is more sadness about a dead lion.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2030629 - 07/29/15 09:12 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer edAudit
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Originally Posted By edAudit

Both accidents very sad.

There is a big difference between an accident and an intentional killing.

Return to Top
#2030630 - 07/29/15 09:15 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer hmdagal
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By hmdagal
Originally Posted By edAudit

Both accidents very sad.

And there's a big difference between a human death and an animal death.

Return to Top
#2030631 - 07/29/15 09:15 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer hmdagal
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
Originally Posted By hmdagal

yeah ... in this case the accident actually affects people and the "intentional killing" is only news because the guy killed an animal with a name
Last edited by DoS; 07/29/15 09:15 PM.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2030633 - 07/29/15 09:23 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
What if the thing being intentionally killed was a human fetus...?

Return to Top
#2030641 - 07/29/15 09:48 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
kw004h Offline
100 Club
Chicagoland, IL
Really?

Return to Top
#2030645 - 07/29/15 10:07 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer YosemiteSamIAm
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By YosemiteSamIAm
What if the thing being intentionally killed was a human fetus...?

What if we gave the fetuses names? Would it make any difference to the collective consciousness then? The name Cecil might work. After all, there's a lot of collective outrage over killing critters with the name of Cecil.

Return to Top
#2030653 - 07/29/15 10:32 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By BeechFlyboy
I sometimes feel like I'm getting covered up in manure at work, but I need to remind myself that there are worse jobs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/07/28/iowa-father-son-die-manure-pit-fumes/30811157/

Well the nice thing about Compliance jobs is the more they keep making bad rules up the more we have job security.

Return to Top
#2031135 - 07/31/15 05:50 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
one of the new worst jobs is big-game safari guide, followed closely by dentist eek

Return to Top
#2031146 - 07/31/15 06:06 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I would think that Zimbabwe road kill collector would be worse Happy.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2031166 - 07/31/15 06:46 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
It was very cold here last winter. There was a small bird that had fallen off a fence near a pasture and was nearly frozen solid. A large bull came along and dropped a load of fresh manure on the bird. Soon the heat from the manure warmed the bird up and he was no longer freezing. He was so happy that he began to sing. A cat passing by heard the singing and quickly located the bird and ate him.

The moral of the story is that not everyone who cr@ps on you is your enemy, not everyone who helps you out of deep cr@p is your friend and most times when you are up to your neck in cr@p it's best to keep quiet.

Return to Top
#2031180 - 07/31/15 07:13 PM Re: There are worse jobs than Bank Compliance Officer RVFlyboy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
smile

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top