Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2030899 - 07/30/15 08:53 PM Receipt from machine exchanged for merchant cash?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
C-store customer goes to machine on-site and gets a receipt for a $200 withdrawal from his account. However, the withdrawal is funded by taking the receipt to the cash register where the merchant gives him the funds.

One of our local banks had this mechanism 30+ years ago, but I have not seen it since. It was called COT, but I don't remember what the acronym meant; i.e. was it descriptive or just some marketing term.

What do you know about it? Is it currently in use? Do examiners have the same expectations regarding bank oversight that they would on a conventional ATM?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2031709 - 08/05/15 10:40 AM Re: Receipt from machine exchanged for merchant cash? Elwood P. Dowd
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Bump

Return to Top
#2031725 - 08/05/15 12:29 PM Re: Receipt from machine exchanged for merchant cash? Elwood P. Dowd
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
This sounds as much like a remotely printed certified check as an EFT, especially if nothing posts until/unless the merchant puts the "receipt" through in a deposit.

Return to Top
#2032138 - 08/06/15 05:19 PM Re: Receipt from machine exchanged for merchant cash? Elwood P. Dowd
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Ken - I don't have much to offer, but I have seen a couple in places I frequent, usually smaller locations that don't accept debit/credit cards. I always thought they were called script dispensers. Just my opinion, but I would think the exact same rules/monitoring would apply to this situation, maybe even more? I think of it as just the fact that the "ATM" doesn't have a vault/cassettes and the cashier is the "vault", so the cash is comingled with other sales money. I would think it would be harder to reconcile. However, I have no personal experience of it from the bank side.

Return to Top
#2032395 - 08/07/15 04:58 PM Re: Receipt from machine exchanged for merchant cash? Elwood P. Dowd
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
Sounds like "Point of Banking" or "ATM Scrip" machines. http://km.home.texas.net/promedia.html

Return to Top
#2032924 - 08/11/15 05:24 PM Re: Receipt from machine exchanged for merchant cash? el guapo
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Thank you, that's what I needed.

I agree, it could be one step more difficult to monitor than an ATM that is stocked by the customer's drawer cash. It could also require the merchant to keep more cash on hand. The web site says the funds are credited directly to the merchant's account...the bank could require the merchant to set up a separate account for this purpose, but the difficulty with monitoring would remain.

Return to Top
#2067428 - 03/03/16 08:47 PM Re: Receipt from machine exchanged for merchant cash? Elwood P. Dowd
Lindsay H Offline
Bringing - this one back into the fold -

Have your banks been seeing these being utilized more often? What are you doing to mitigate risks if you are?

Thanks,
Lindsay

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z