Thread Options
#2033189 - 08/12/15 02:34 PM Re: Vegetarianism HappyGilmore
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By Matt_B
All I know is that being vegan increases the amount of time you spend talking about being vegan by an infinite amount, and increases the chances of your friends punching you in the face and moving on.

change "vegan" to "crossfit" and it slips in perfectly...

and heaven forbid if they do crossfit and are vegan...

No no no silly...crossfitters are paleo crazy

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2033207 - 08/12/15 02:58 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I could easily eat Paleo but Paleo-ists are almost as annoying at Vegans.

My 12-yr old niece is vegetarian. She saw her mom shaping hamburger patties a couple years ago and hasn't eaten meat since. She was also gluten-free for a while but has given up on that. I assume she's happy with her food choices but she's just a kid.

Return to Top
#2033210 - 08/12/15 03:08 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Why would one be gluten-free if it was not due to a medical condition?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2033212 - 08/12/15 03:11 PM Re: Vegetarianism CompliantOkie
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
She saw her mom shaping hamburger patties a couple years ago and hasn't eaten meat since.

it amazes me that something as insignificant as this can disgust someone to the point of changing their diet. Obviously, she never had to kill her own meal growing up.

Americans are so disconnected from our food sources that it makes me fear for our survival.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2033225 - 08/12/15 03:28 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
My daughter went vegetarian for about a year after her FFA calf was killed by a tree falling on him after a storm, she was bout 13. She found him in the field and said she could tell he struggled. I believe bacon was what brought her back.

Return to Top
#2033236 - 08/12/15 03:40 PM Re: Vegetarianism RR Jen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By RR Jen
I believe bacon was what brought her back.

never underestimate the restorative powers of bacon!

Return to Top
#2033237 - 08/12/15 03:41 PM Re: Vegetarianism edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By edAudit
Why would one be gluten-free if it was not due to a medical condition?

because some people must follow the latest trend, regardless of why or what it means (see "baggy/saggy pants" as an example)

Return to Top
#2033242 - 08/12/15 03:55 PM Re: Vegetarianism HappyGilmore
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I helped butcher chickens when I was a pre-teen. I didn't go full one vegetarian but it took me a long, long, long time to even think about eating chicken again.

Return to Top
#2033244 - 08/12/15 03:59 PM Re: Vegetarianism DoS
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Originally Posted By DoS
Americans are so disconnected from our food sources that it makes me fear for our survival.

This reminded me of my husband's aunt... She was responding to something having to do with Cecil the lion and said: "So few of us are truly hungry to the point of killing for nourishment to survive."

Because apparently when you order from a fancy restaurant the food magically appears and there are no dead animals involved in your filet mignon... *eye roll*

Return to Top
#2033252 - 08/12/15 04:12 PM Re: Vegetarianism DoS
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By DoS

Years ago, two nieces spent the night with us. They said they wanted mashed potatoes for dinner. When my wife got out some potatoes and started peeling them, they wanted to know what she was doing. They had never seen mashed potatoes that weren't poured out of a box.

Return to Top
#2033257 - 08/12/15 04:15 PM Re: Vegetarianism CULady
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By CULady

Because apparently when you order the food magically appears and there are no dead animals involved

well, if you frequent McDonald's, that would be a correct statement...

Return to Top
#2033258 - 08/12/15 04:17 PM Re: Vegetarianism MyBrainHurts
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By MyBrainHurts
They said they wanted mashed potatoes for dinner. When my wife got out some potatoes and started peeling them, they wanted to know what she was doing. They had never seen mashed potatoes that weren't poured out of a box.

no offense to Mrs. Hurt Brains, whom i assume is a wonderful cook, but I prefer instant over home made mashed taters...my family thinks i'm weird, but indulges this folly when mashed taters are served...they make home made for everyone else, and I get my own little serving of instant...

Return to Top
#2033263 - 08/12/15 04:32 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
It's funny because she lives in Montana. Hardly a booming metropolis far removed from hunting and agriculture. As far as gluten free, she had some digestion problems and assumed gluten was the culprit or more appropriately her mother assumed gluten was the culprit.

She would likely starve at my house. We have very few meals that do not contain some type of meat as a main component.

Instant mashed potatoes are an abomination in the same way Cool Whip and Miracle Whip are abominations and crimes against nature.

Return to Top
#2033264 - 08/12/15 04:37 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
now wait just a cotton pickin minute...cool whip is awesome...I put it in the freezer and eat it just like ice cream...

Return to Top
#2033266 - 08/12/15 04:41 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
cool whip is worse than Reddi Wip which is an abomination.

In best Peeper voice; "aren't there any women that can make the real stuff?"

CAMS

Return to Top
#2033268 - 08/12/15 04:47 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
"Instant mashed potatoes are an abomination in the same way Cool Whip and Miracle Whip are abominations and crimes against nature."

I can do instant mashed potatoes and really enjoy them, all while acknowledging that they are a different dish than the real thing.

I have no patience with Cool Whip, Miracle Whip, or any sort of margarine or spreads. Same goes for sugar substitutes. I'd rather do without completely than to eat any of this stuff.

There's too much perfectly good whipped cream, mayonnaise, unsalted butter, and cane sugar in the world and life is already too short to have to eat fake or substitute food.

There are so many wonderful meat dishes in the world that I'm not afflicting myself with any sort of diet that doesn't include meats.

Moderation in all things ... says the compliance officer who is munching Ghiradelli 60% dark chocolate squares, provided by his good wife, as he types this.

Return to Top
#2033275 - 08/12/15 05:01 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Sorry Hap! Cool Whip is a menace to society. It resides in my garage freezer only during the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas so my misguided husband can consume it on his pumpkin pie.

I don't despise Miracle Whip to that point but it's close. I don't even consider margarine a food.

Please note I grew up eating margarine, MW and Cool Whip because my Okie daddy married a northern girl and it took awhile for her to assimilate.

Return to Top
#2033285 - 08/12/15 05:14 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
http://www.thealternativedaily.com/a-health-nightmare-nothing-cool-about-cool-whip/

No health nut here, I'm less concerned about the ingredients than I am the comparatively wretched taste when compared with yummy whipped cream as has always been served up by Mrs. noelekal, and my mother, aunts, and grandmothers before her. I'd have to just throw my slice of holiday pumpkin pie out in abject disappointment if it was adulterated with Cool Whip.

Return to Top
#2033306 - 08/12/15 06:15 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
#ONENANA Offline
New Poster
Texas Girl
Happy I too keep the cool whip frozen and eat it like ice cream. Let the badgering begin.

Return to Top
#2033307 - 08/12/15 06:17 PM Re: Vegetarianism #ONENANA
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
A scoop of frozen Cool Whip in hot chocolate is amazing. Well, not today, it's like 90 degrees out there.

Return to Top
#2033308 - 08/12/15 06:17 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
#ONENANA Offline
New Poster
Texas Girl
As far as the mayonaise miracle whip debate goes it depends what I'm putting it on. Bacon sandwich miracle whip, ham and cheese mayonaise, balogna(I know)miracle whip etc.

Return to Top
#2033311 - 08/12/15 06:21 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I only use miracle-whip on deviled ham sandwiches...not sure that is real meat, so why use real mayo? otherwise, I eat no mayo, and nothing with mayo in it...

Return to Top
#2033315 - 08/12/15 06:25 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Hah! Can't stand Miracle Whip but love deviled ham and other canned "mystery meats."

There's just no accounting for tastes.

Return to Top
#2033388 - 08/12/15 08:29 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
we only use Duke's Mayo at my house.... been thinking about learning to make my own... Cool whip only when I don't have time to make the real thing. I don't like instant mashed potatoes. I CAN tell the difference in taste and only like the real thing...

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2033390 - 08/12/15 08:32 PM Re: Vegetarianism YosemiteSamIAm
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
There is certainly a difference the taste of instant mashed potatoes and the mashed potatoes "Mother used to make." I just happen to like instant mashed potatoes as well. Don't get them but once in a blue moon because my wife prefers the genuine article.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6