Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2034398 - 08/18/15 09:10 PM Zone B now Zone AE question
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Customer has flood policy coverage for property in a Zone B. The zone has now been changed to AE based on map updates. The increase in premiums at this renewal, from zone B to Zone AE, is being quoted at $9300 for the NFIP policy, an exorbitant increase. What are our options if the customer does not pay that premium?

Thanks. All help is very much appreciated.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2034411 - 08/18/15 09:40 PM Re: Zone B now Zone AE question HRH Okie Banker
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Other than the obvious force placement, my first thought is to check the amount of the policy coverage. Perhaps he's being quoted a premium for more insurance than your bank will require.

Return to Top
#2034416 - 08/18/15 10:03 PM Re: Zone B now Zone AE question HRH Okie Banker
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Wow! That is exorbitant. Other than what MyBrainHurts mentioned, these are the only options:
1. Require the borrower to purchase the insurance,
2. force place the insurance and charge them for it,
3. Drop the collateral,
4. Call the loan.

Unfortunately, banks are the gatekeeper.

Return to Top
#2034425 - 08/18/15 10:58 PM Re: Zone B now Zone AE question HRH Okie Banker
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/...inFS_100814.pdf

Regardless of premium, your customer must maintain insurance or the bank must force place.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2034509 - 08/19/15 03:01 PM Re: Zone B now Zone AE question HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thank you everyone. Your help is appreciated. It does appear that the borrower carries more insurance than necessary so we will talk to her about that too.

Return to Top
#2034517 - 08/19/15 03:24 PM Re: Zone B now Zone AE question HRH Okie Banker
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Well, just don't "advise" her on how much to have! I would tell her to speak with her agent about the best coverage to maintain to protect the property.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2034637 - 08/19/15 07:41 PM Re: Zone B now Zone AE question HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thanks Kathleen. It appears that we are working with an insurance agent that is not the most experienced in these matters. We are walking them thru/talking to them and the customer to get the policy amount reduced. This is the easiest one we've worked on, I can tell you.

Return to Top
#2034713 - 08/20/15 03:26 AM Re: Zone B now Zone AE question HRH Okie Banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Define "more insurance than necessary". You mean they have more insurance than the property is worth or more than what you are requiring them to have?

Those are two very different things and you should not be involved in that conversation at all unless you want to get the bank sued when the property floods and the they leave insurance proceeds on the table because you advised them to reduce their coverage.

You tell them the minimum that the bank requires and you let them deal with their insurance agent for anything else. You are not in the insurance business, you do the banking part. Don't ever put yourself in the role of advising anyone on insurance as all you are doing is putting the bank at risk for absolutely no return.

Return to Top
#2035063 - 08/21/15 02:20 PM Re: Zone B now Zone AE question rlcarey
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By rlcarey
Define "more insurance than necessary". You mean they have more insurance than the property is worth or more than what you are requiring them to have?

Those are two very different things and you should not be involved in that conversation at all unless you want to get the bank sued when the property floods and the they leave insurance proceeds on the table because you advised them to reduce their coverage.

You tell them the minimum that the bank requires and you let them deal with their insurance agent for anything else. You are not in the insurance business, you do the banking part. Don't ever put yourself in the role of advising anyone on insurance as all you are doing is putting the bank at risk for absolutely no return.

Understood and thanks for putting it this way. Makes a big difference. Thanks Randy.

Return to Top