BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2032383 - 08/07/15 04:42 PM Re: E-SIGN consent question Richard Insley
trinna Offline
Gold Star
trinna
Midwest
Thank you! You have some very good points and you’re right – I may be warning about the wrong storm. I will remind the powers that be that we could be playing with fire….and why. If these same powers decide that it’s a risk they’re willing to take, then I might just have them put it in writing so later on they can’t come back to me and ask why I didn’t do anything about the issue because if it ever came down to it, I will be the one held accountable. Thanks again!

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2032433 - 08/07/15 06:32 PM Re: E-SIGN consent question THEBANKERLADY
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By trinia
it’s a risk they’re willing to take
In fairness to your business people, it's impossible to manage an unknown risk. On the surface, ESIGN doesn't look very risky and no one's heard of a bank getting zapped. After you explain the danger that lies just below the surface, they can decide whether the savings of paper and postage are sufficient to gamble on multiple class action penalties.

Return to Top
#2034533 - 08/19/15 04:14 PM Re: E-SIGN consent question THEBANKERLADY
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
We are having problems with deposit customers not following through and "consenting" with the email that we send them for the delivery of estatements. Another bank we talked to had tablets at the teller stations so that they could log-in to their email and consent immediately while opening the account or switching to estatements. Anyone heard of this? I would think that this is no different than someone that doesn't have a computer and gains access by way of a library computer, for example. Just trying to make this work with less headaches.

Also, as a side note-we just wrapped up our Compliance exam with the FDIC and they did request documentation verifying the consent.

Return to Top
#2034619 - 08/19/15 07:08 PM Re: E-SIGN consent question THEBANKERLADY
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes I have heard of it, and it's a futile attempt at an end run around the law. That practice has been discredited many times because it does not demonstrate that the customer can receive, read and retain electronic documents outside the bank.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2034670 - 08/19/15 08:45 PM Re: E-SIGN consent question THEBANKERLADY
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks John for confirming what I thought.

Return to Top
#2034695 - 08/19/15 09:29 PM Re: E-SIGN consent question THEBANKERLADY
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
We've discussed this many times over the years. Here's a thread that seems to match your situation.

Return to Top
#2035302 - 08/21/15 09:43 PM Re: E-SIGN consent question ComplianceGurl, CRCM
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Originally Posted By ComplianceGurl
We are having problems with deposit customers not following through and "consenting" with the email that we send them for the delivery of estatements. Another bank we talked to had tablets at the teller stations so that they could log-in to their email and consent immediately while opening the account or switching to estatements.

1. Then they are not ready for e-statements. Is it a lack of interest, incentive or a problem with the delivery? In any case, you can't force it and you can't assume customers will follow thru. They (consumers) must demonstrate acceptance/ability.
2. The robot is swinging his arms and yelling "danger Will Robinson." All you have to do is look back at 1 above.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2035305 - 08/21/15 09:56 PM Re: E-SIGN consent question THEBANKERLADY
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
That's a good point, Andy. Customer actions speak louder than words.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z