Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2031704 - 08/05/15 03:42 AM 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Alright boys & girls, it's nearly that time again.

As of Monday, August 3rd (yesterday), we are officially just one (1) month away from the 2015-2016 NCAA College Football season opener!

With that having been said…Let's get it on!

Okay. Since the University of Alabama won three out of the last six National Championship titles – averaging one every other year – and since we won back-to-back titles in 2011 & 2012, we gave the rest of you (and your second-rate teams) the opportunity these past two seasons to win yourself a NC. The ONLY two teams who took advantage of our gracious generosity, however, was FSU & Ohio State. So, you had your chance, but you blew it. Slackers!

Last season, Oregon exposed just how overrated the Seminoles were. Then, we witnessed the Buckeyes dismantle the Ducks (even though they barely beat my Tide).

Well, now that's over. The Crimson Tide is back, Baby! And, now, all y'all are DONE!

Nick – no, not Saint Nick; Nick Saban (even though he is a saint) – is tired of being Mr. Nice Guy and playing games with your weak, sorry, useless, pathetic, cry-baby team. So, SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP! It's time to Roll Tide!

So, here's my prediction for the final four:

The Alabama Crimson Tide, ASU, Clemson, & Notre Dame, but the reality is it really doesn't matter who else is there, 'cause my 'Bama Boys are going to leave no doubt about to whom the trophy belongs! We are going to CRUSH all who feebly attempt to stand in our way. We are hongry and we're coming after what rightfully belongs to us!

Now that you know how the season is going to unfold, I TRIPLE-DOG-DARE you to step up and see if you can win the Yahoo! Pick'em Challenge.

For you Veterans, you know what to do. So, jump on it!

For you Rookies, here's the scoop:

I've created two challenge groups for you to try your hand. Go to Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge and join one (or preferably both) of the following:

NDB I (Group ID #1104): This is for those who barely venture out of their homes. It's for those who faintly exist. It is straight up picks, using nothing but confidence points.

NDB II (Group ID #1105): This is for those who live life on the edge; the "They haven't made a roller-coaster I won't ride," "Yes, I'll jump out of that plane," "I want to subway/train surf," and "I'll do it just to prove you wrong" people! It is picking against the spread AND using confidence points.

The password for both groups is glendale (all lower case).

So, each week you’ll have the chance to predict the winners of the AP Top 25 games (and Yahoo’s picks of the week). No biggie, right?

Fat chance! Not only do you have to select the winners, but you have to decide how strongly you feel about their chances. Confidence Points will be used to accomplish this objective.

For example, if the #1 team in the nation, the fictional Kick Butt University ("KBU"), is playing the unranked, Can't Win College ("CWC"), you might place the maximum points* on KBU. On the other hand, you just may believe that CWC will pull off the upset, but you're not totally sure. In that case, maybe you only put 1 or 2 points on the game.

That's for NDB I.

For NDB II, an additional factor is utilized: that is, the spread (AKA "the line"). Here, you'll have to decide how many confidence points to assign and you'll have to do it based on the projections of the odds-makers. (Don't sweat it though. You're not having to place a bet. It's all for pride & glory only.)

For example, if #1, KBU is favored to beat CWC by 21.5, you determine your confidence points by deciding how strongly you feel about the likely end-result of the game. If you think KBU will beat CWC by MORE THAN 21.5 points (i.e. 22 points or more), you'd "bet" on KBU. If, however, you think CWC will be within 22 points of KBU (i.e. KBU wins, but by LESS THAN 21.5 points)…or if you believe CWC will win outright, you'd put your points on CWC. (One other note: if the line is, let's say, 21, and KBU wins by exactly 21, this is called a "push" and NO POINTS ARE GAINED & Vegas keeps the cash.)

Bottom line: The stronger you feel about a particular outcome, the greater number of points (the more confidence) you should use.

As the last week usually has fewer games and a very low possible point total, we'll drop the two lowest scores during the season (this gives you an additional "off" week: vacation, forget to make your selections or you just totally blow it…like so many of you will).

Anyway, sign up (and invite others, too) and let's get this football season going. When you sign up, if you're not using your actual name for your "Pick Set Name," if you don't mind, please post a message as to who you are & why you selected your particular name. (Should provide some interesting insights.) Also, if you have any questions or need anything, PM me.

* varies from week to week depending on the number of Top 25 games

Sincerely,

Mike Cockrell (AKA liberaldemise and/or Dallas Tide)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2031706 - 08/05/15 10:31 AM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Okay. Since the University of Alabama won three out of the last six National Championship titles

Have they been tampering with any footballs?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2031716 - 08/05/15 11:50 AM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge edAudit
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
It's not yet been proven as such. grin

Return to Top
#2031726 - 08/05/15 12:33 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Even though they barely beat my Tide with a THIRD string quarterback after spotting us a 15 point lead.

Fixed that for ya!

Return to Top
#2031729 - 08/05/15 12:47 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Yeah, the Tide just Rolled over for tOSU Buckeyes.

Go Bucks!!! Time to repeat!

Return to Top
#2031810 - 08/05/15 03:39 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Hobbes
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By Backstreets
Even though they barely beat my Tide with a THIRD string quarterback after spotting us a 15 point lead.

Fixed that for ya!

I REALLY didn't need to be reminded of that!

Nor do I need OU fans to remind me of the Sugar Bowl "incident!"

As a matter of fact, I seriously think schools with a name beginning with the letter "O" need to be banned from the Sugar Bowl. wink

Return to Top
#2031811 - 08/05/15 03:41 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge DD Regs
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By DD Regs
Yeah, the Tide just Rolled over for tOSU Buckeyes.

Go Bucks!!! Time to repeat!

I'm just going to ignore this comment. cool

Return to Top
#2031884 - 08/05/15 06:08 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
don't be sad,M Cockrell, the Tide lets others win just to give them false hope! :-)

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2036785 - 09/02/15 01:20 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
There's still time to get in if you haven't. Only takes a few minutes, and it's a lot of fun. The season starts tomorrow! Let's go Buckeyes!

O-H!

Return to Top
#2036820 - 09/02/15 03:00 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Ah, I think the finest longstanding program in the Big 10 starts the season off tomorrow night. Hint- it ain't Oh How I Hate Ohio State!

Return to Top
#2036839 - 09/02/15 03:53 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By Dallas Tide

The Alabama Crimson Tide, ASU, Clemson, & Notre Dame, but the reality is it really doesn't matter who else is there, 'cause my 'Bama Boys are going to leave no doubt about to whom the trophy belongs! We are going to CRUSH all who feebly attempt to stand in our way. We are hongry and we're coming after what rightfully belongs to us!

and this, my friends, is possibly the best example of why all drug use should remain illegal...

Return to Top
#2036841 - 09/02/15 03:55 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
^^^^^ laugh that is funny stuff.

Go Bucks!!!!

Return to Top
#2036878 - 09/02/15 05:20 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Originally Posted By Dallas Tide

So, here's my prediction for the final four:

Are you sure you're not Phyllis from Mulga?

Return to Top
#2037129 - 09/03/15 04:54 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge HappyGilmore
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Funny, but we'll see how close my predictions are at the end of the season.

Return to Top
#2037130 - 09/03/15 04:57 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Hobbes
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
I have no idea who that is.

What I do know is this: My predictions about Alabama winning the national championship have been true 50% of the time over the last six years.

Who else here can make that claim???

Return to Top
#2037136 - 09/03/15 05:24 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Phyllis from Mulga is a huge Bama fan who calls into the Finebaum show and goes on historic rants. and she hates Colin Cowherd. Pretty funny stuff.

Just havin' fun with you Dallas Tide, no hard feelings. I'm sura Bama will be in the thick of things come season end, and they'll want a better finish than they had last year. Motivation will not be a problem for them.

Return to Top
#2037143 - 09/03/15 05:49 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
It tells me the password has been changed and won't let me in.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2037146 - 09/03/15 05:56 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Did you put in the group ID (1104 or 1105) or the group name NDB I or NDB II? I made the mistake of putting in the name the first time and got the same response. Make sure you put the ID # in

When I signed up yesterday the passwoed was still the same.

Return to Top
#2037159 - 09/03/15 06:22 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Dallas - we're just picking on you...at least you support a team that has seen some historical runs of late...not like those supporting faux-teams in faux-conferences that haven't been relevant in years or are named for a number of teams that no longer has that many teams in the conference...

and the newest trend in college football is the number of media pundits that are now picking on the SEC and calling them a "has been" conference...

since the Bundesliga is now shown on TV, I seriously doubt between this, La Liga, and Barclay's Premier League that I will have much time to waste on college football this season

Return to Top
#2037161 - 09/03/15 06:29 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Hobbes
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
I did not know that.

Unfortunately, I don't get to listen to the radio (except during my commute - when Finebaum isn't on...at least, not to my knowledge anyway) and I rarely have the time to watch his show when I'm - occasionally - home.

I'm not so sure there's such a person as a little 'Bama fan (unless you count those under 3-feet tall).

And, no hard feelings at all.

I figure, I dish it out, so I gotta be able to take it, too. (Especially, when we choke on a last minute second field goal, lose to a team where we're a double digit favorite, or fall to a team led by a "3rd string" QB.) It just comes with the territory.

Return to Top
#2037163 - 09/03/15 06:31 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge waldensouth
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
I have not changed the password for either group. It's still "glendale" (all lower case letters) for both of them.

As Hobbes stated, could you missing the Group ID #? Or, by chance, did you enter the password as "Glendale" (capitalized)?

Return to Top
#2037167 - 09/03/15 06:39 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge HappyGilmore
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
No worries. I promise I didn't take it that way (despite how my response may have appeared).

I LOVE talkin' college football smack before, during, and (when we win) after the season.

I don't mean to offend; nor do I take offence. To me, it's all just in good fun.

Case in point: My son and I were shopping for a suit (back before prom) and saw a guy wearing Florida Gators attire. My son (who is attending Texas Tech, by the way) looked at me and said, "Don't."

I said, "'Don't' what?"

He said, "You know...just don't."

I couldn't resist. I walked up to the guy and said, "I have two words for you: Roll Tide!"

He smiled and, without missing a beat, replied back, "Go Gators!"

So, I guess what I'm saying is: I'm an equal opportunity college football team harasser. laugh

It's all good, y'all.

Return to Top
#2037177 - 09/03/15 06:57 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
yeah, if I went to TT, I wouldn't want to engage in football discussions either

Return to Top
#2037178 - 09/03/15 06:58 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge HappyGilmore
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
LOL laugh

Return to Top
#2037189 - 09/03/15 07:28 PM Re: 2015-2016 Yahoo! College Football Challenge Dallas Tide
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
Two other notes:

1. Although games start the season off today, the first game for the pick'em challenge is tomorrow. So, you still have time to sign up and make your picks. (Get'r done!)

2. I made my final four picks based on the following:

a. I think the Big XII gets shut out of the playoffs again for two reasons:

i. I think they beat up each other (much like the SEC has done in the past)
&
ii. I think not having a conference championship game (CCG) will hurt them when the committee is making its final selection.

b. I think ASU & Clemson have the best chance of losing the fewest conference games and still be able to win their CCG.

c. I think ND ultimately has a chance to be undefeated, as I believe they have a fairly weak schedule overall.

Just my two cents worth. (Now, after ESPN sees what a great prognosticator I am, when Coach Corso retires, I'll be the first one they call. Not so fast, my friend!)

No drugs involved. (Well, at least, not until that last part...maybe.)
Last edited by Dallas Tide; 09/03/15 07:30 PM. Reason: additional smart Alec comment added

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2