BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2037452 - 09/04/15 09:15 PM Letters of Special Administration
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
A person who has letters of special administration for a decedent is not granted all the same powers, duties and liabilities as a personal representative.
They have been granted these specific powers: To access, marshall, inventory, protect or invest funds and retain securities; access safe deposit box; conserve any assets of decedent; satisfy mortgages; and pay any debts of decedent.
They would now like us to close down the $100,000+ COD and cut a check written to the estate. I am thinking that the first specific power of accessing, marshaling, inventorying ,protecting or investing funds would allow them to that, but then again it doesn't come right out and say it. My understanding is that letters of special administration are generally given out when the estate is small, like $50,000 or less. Does anyone have an opinion on this or have had experience with these types of things?

Return to Top
#2037462 - 09/05/15 02:16 AM Re: Letters of Special Administration Bec
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless your bank can afford a $100,000 mistake I would be asking my legal counsel this question

Return to Top