Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2037234 - 09/03/15 09:43 PM Denying a customer a Debit or ATM Card
lbbanker Offline
100 Club
Tennessee
Is there any rule that states that you cannot deny a customer a replacement Debit Card or an ATM Card? We have several situations where a customer is stating that they did not make a charge on their card and we are ending up having to do a refund to the customer. We have several that do it time and time again. I suggested that we not issue them a replacement card and they will not be able to access their funds with a card.
Some in our Bank are saying that we cannot do that. They say that if the customer wants a card we need to give it. IMO this can't be right.
If you can point to a place in a Regulation that would be great. I looked in Reg. E but cannot find anything. Thank you in advance.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2037244 - 09/03/15 10:09 PM Re: Denying a customer a Debit or ATM Card lbbanker
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I'm in favor of your position. You don't have to give a customer a debit/ATM card. I can't point to a place in the reg. Ask them to point to a place in a Reg that says you have to give them one.

Return to Top
#2037248 - 09/03/15 10:17 PM Re: Denying a customer a Debit or ATM Card lbbanker
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I'm also in favor of your position. To my knowledge there is no regulation that says that you have to provide a debit/ATM card, and I believe that several other Gurus have indicated that cancelling or not provided a replacement card is good practice in some cases.

Return to Top
#2037258 - 09/04/15 12:51 AM Re: Denying a customer a Debit or ATM Card lbbanker
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
I am a Guru, and I approved Doug's message.

(Might as well get ready for election season.)

Return to Top
#2037522 - 09/08/15 04:14 PM Re: Denying a customer a Debit or ATM Card lbbanker
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The consumer protection provisions of the Electronic Fund Transfer Act and Regulation E do not include any "right" of a consumer to have ATM or debit card access. A bank could have a policy that all consumer deposit customers will be issued such a card; however, IMHO, such a policy, unless it has exceptions for customers who evidence an inability to use the card responsibly, would be misguided.

There is no "right" to have a deposit account with your bank; there is certainly no "right" to have card access to an account.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2037547 - 09/08/15 05:34 PM Re: Denying a customer a Debit or ATM Card lbbanker
lbbanker Offline
100 Club
Tennessee
Thank you all for your responses. I knew that didn't sound right.

Return to Top
#2038701 - 09/16/15 12:47 PM Re: Denying a customer a Debit or ATM Card lbbanker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
you may want to be asking the follow up question "why is this guy still a customer" and just close the account and move on

Return to Top
#2038749 - 09/16/15 02:10 PM Re: Denying a customer a Debit or ATM Card lbbanker
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

We lose money? You lose the card!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett