Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2045841 - 10/23/15 02:14 PM Mexico's near future is not looking too great...
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
And not the way Donald Trump thinks:

http://thevane.gawker.com/at-200-mph-hurricane-patricia-is-now-the-strongest-tro-1738224692

At 200 MPH, Hurricane Patricia Is Now the Strongest Tropical Cyclone Ever Recorded

Shortly after midnight on October 23, 2015, a group of courageous men and women flew into the center of Hurricane Patricia and landed in the history books. With measured winds of 200 MPH, Hurricane Patricia became the strongest tropical cyclone ever recorded anywhere on Earth. Let that sink in for a moment.

---

...Hurricane Patricia, spinning off the coast of Mexico with 200 MPH winds and a minimum central pressure of 880 millibars as of the 5:00 AM EDT advisory from the National Hurricane Center. This is about as strong as a tropical cyclone can get, and there’s still a chance that Patricia will get a little bit stronger before it starts to weaken.

snip

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2045847 - 10/23/15 02:29 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Would be instructive to review Hurricane Camille and its destruction. It was one of the most powerful to ever hit the continental United States. I well remember it occupying the news for some time even though I was a kid in Texas, and unaffected by it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Camille

https://www.google.com/search?q=hurrican...AhUCRCYKHZjtA_M

Patricia is proving to be even more powerful!
Last edited by noelekal; 10/23/15 03:01 PM.

Return to Top
#2045863 - 10/23/15 03:22 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I remember Camille - we had severe weather as it passed by on its way to Mississippi. Lots of local church groups went to Mississippi to help with the clean up. It was awful! My heart goes out to those folks in Mexico - hopefully they will all evacuate unlike some of the dopes (now dead) with their Hurricane Parties in MS!. You can always rebuild and being there won't protect your property.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2045871 - 10/23/15 03:36 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I THINK I remember vaguely preparation for Camille...I seem to recall having hurricane lamps and sterno in my distant memory bank.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2045885 - 10/23/15 04:10 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
Little Miss BSA Offline
Diamond Poster
Little Miss BSA
Miami
Just read it is the strongest ever recorded...those poor people. Prayers being sent their way......

Return to Top
#2045926 - 10/23/15 06:56 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I have gotten to know a number of people living in Puerto Vallarta over the years. They've reported on facebook that business have been boarding up windows and moving inventory to inland cities. The airport closed this morning. Shelters have been set up for people in the waterfront hotels to move to. The power will be shut off this afternoon to prevent electrocution from downed lines.

I know one crazy 75 year old Englishman who has lived there for decades and swears the mountains to the south will protect the city as they always have. I think he's going to be wrong this time. The mountains may slow down the winds a bit, but they're still going to get a foot of rain, and the whole city is on a hillside, with several rivers running through town from the mountains on the east side. We'll find out how well all the luxury condos have been built.

Further down the coast, like Manzanillo, where they expect a direct hit, are in for a disaster.

A blogger posted a video about noon central that showed gray skies, but no wind or rain. I've tried to look at webcams, but they've all exceeded their bandwidth and gone off line.

Return to Top
#2045935 - 10/23/15 07:13 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I sure hope that elderly man is right. May God Bless those people in the line of fire of the storm, looks to be potentially beyond disastrous. That country already has more problems than it can deal with, sure hope this doesn't add more than they can handle and the citizens suffer.

Return to Top
#2045941 - 10/23/15 07:20 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Too bad the hurricane can't specifically target the drug cartels...

Return to Top
#2045990 - 10/23/15 09:35 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... YosemiteSamIAm
Peach Offline
100 Club
Peach
Out West
OH I bet it will get a few of them, God hits where he aims. Prayers for all down there effected by the storm.

Return to Top
#2045991 - 10/23/15 09:36 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
adsgran Offline
New Poster
adsgran
In a padded room
I remember Camille all too well. I distinctly remember the calm in the eye and thinking it was over. Camille had a central pressure of 900 millibars. Patricia's is 880 millibars. The lower the millibars the higher the strength. Prayers for those in her path.

Return to Top
#2046001 - 10/23/15 10:54 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
I saw a facebook post that showed Hurricane Patricia from space. It looked like it covered all of Mexico and Central America. I was incredible!

Return to Top
#2046002 - 10/23/15 11:29 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... RR Joker
Moman Offline
Platinum Poster
WA
It was just before I entered my Sr year of High School in South Alabama - we lost 5 pine trees in our yard - the local High School lost 2/3 of theirs. Our power was out 5 days - we went camping in up state Al - may as well have done that since we would have been camping at home!

Return to Top
#2046055 - 10/26/15 02:00 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
As it turns out, my 75 year old English friend in Puerto Vallarta was right. They had nothing but rain in PV, and the city never had to cut power as they planned. He spent the evening barhopping. Patricia made landfall between PV and Manzanillo, missing both of those large population areas. But many small towns along the coast suffered. Mascota, a city of 100,000 up in the mountains, had flooded streets and homes from the heavy rains. But it seems Texas suffered more from the hurricane than Mexico.

Return to Top
#2046057 - 10/26/15 02:06 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
seems like the weather service could learn a little from an old Englishman in Mexico.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2046059 - 10/26/15 02:09 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
MBH, yes, excellent call by your old friend. Glad there was minimal damage compared to what could have happened, ala Katrina.

Return to Top
#2046078 - 10/26/15 02:51 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
My parents who live 175 miles to the east of me received 12 inches of rain. They're delighted. The old stock tank where I used to fish when I was a kid is brimming full. Here in west central Texas we got 2 inches.

Return to Top
#2046082 - 10/26/15 02:56 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
My old English friend attributes his forecasting skill to many years as a sailor. On sailboats, where you really need to know the weather.

I've told him he needs to write his biography. He's travelled the world, and has a load of stories, some of which are true. Every photo I've seen of him as a young man also has a beautiful girl or two hanging on him. He had sort of the Tom Selleck look coupled with that charming English accent.
Last edited by MyBrainHurts; 10/26/15 03:01 PM.

Return to Top
#2046104 - 10/26/15 03:53 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Sounds like he would indeed have some great stories to tell.

Return to Top
#2046109 - 10/26/15 03:59 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Dang, Patricia folded like a cheap card table in those mountains. Sure cured the drought we had started to experience again in Texas. Now it is Louisiana and Mississippi's turn.

Return to Top
#2046801 - 10/28/15 08:41 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Yeah Pale, we got 11 inches last weekend and the forecast is for 1- 3 more inches this weekend. Our lakes and rivers are full to the brim.

Return to Top
#2046807 - 10/28/15 08:51 PM Re: Mexico's near future is not looking too great... MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
My parents got 12 inches on their place just south of Fort Worth but we got 2 inches a hour south of Abilene.

Hoping for more this weekend.

Return to Top