Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread Options
#2049325 - 11/12/15 05:20 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Top end down, opening everything up with a yellow-handled Case Trapper pocket knife. Sever the esophagus high in the neck, grasp it and start pulling, cutting attaching tissue loose as needed, and just drag it all out. Easy-greasy and very speedy until one reaches the pelvis. The pelvis is a bit of a chore with a pocket knife but it's more a matter of finesse than brute force.

A lock-blade might be better than a folder but I'm a creature of tradition and long habit.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2049326 - 11/12/15 05:21 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
That's awesome! Congrats. I did roll out of bed at 5:30 and go sit in the blind. Didn't see a thing. Apparently the acorns are falling heavy because all of my corn was still on the ground.

I'd do a direct link, but we might get shut down.

Search YouTube for "Peach Orchard Processing". Guy skins the deer in under 2 minutes.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2049327 - 11/12/15 05:23 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
if you don't want to know the answer to peepers question, don't click below.

Click to reveal...
start at the bottom of the sternum using a knife I slice the sternum open up to the windpipe. Sever the windpipe then slice down to the rectum (around the male bits). separate the rectum then start at the neck and yank everything out. then retrieve the heart and liver if needed and cut out the tenderloin.

I use a drop point hunting knife for all of it ... nothing special

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2049329 - 11/12/15 05:26 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I've watched some vids on it. A lone guy did it in a couple minutes going top down. Cut a slit in neck, slice straight down, saw through pelvis, saw through breast bone, (then it looked like he yanked up on the tail, I guess to loosen everything down there), then cut esophagus and everything dumped out. No need for much finesse work around the bottom.

Been doing the finesse around the back end area then going up to breast but cutting pelvic bone seems to be a big key in what I've watched.

Return to Top
#2049331 - 11/12/15 05:38 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Some years more and some years less, but I've taken an average of three deer per year since the 1976 deer season. I've always processed the deer taken for the household. I've got the field-dressing down but cannot make a speedy job of skinning the critters.

Return to Top
#2049334 - 11/12/15 05:47 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Peepers
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By Peepers
How do you all field dress your deer (without getting too graphic)?

Gift card from LLBean

CAMS

Return to Top
#2049336 - 11/12/15 05:58 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
How do I field dress? I don't! laugh My son or husband do it for me. Not that I'm not willing to do it, but I'm not allowed! Now...let me explain why...they won't let me have sharp knives! I darn near cut my finger off a little over a year ago when I accidentally hit the safety on a knife and it closed down and cut through the tendon in my finger. Took a whole lotta stitches, a cast for 8 weeks, and physical therapy to finally use it again! Anytime I touch a knife they tell me to put it down and back away slowly. They clean my fish for me too.

They let me use knives when I cook since those don't have a safety on them.

When I got my doe this year, she fell right on the side of the road and they only had to move her a few feet to get her in the truck. I told the guys that it was my compensation for them field dressing! They didn't have to drag her anywhere. smile

Return to Top
#2049346 - 11/12/15 06:19 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching edAudit
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Originally Posted By edAudit
How do you all field dress your deer (without getting too graphic)?

Gift card from LLBean
laugh laugh grin

Return to Top
#2049352 - 11/12/15 06:33 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Hidden for the faint of heart:

Click to reveal...
I start at the south pole and work up. Few years ago purchased a nifty tool called "b_utt out" Does exactly what it says. After using this tool, I then trim the parts in the southern region and pull back through the pelvis (Old days would use a hatchet and split pelvis and then pull out southern parts).

Next I split the hide up to the rib cage. Next slit high on the throat cutting the esophagus. Then reach up and pull out lungs, heart, etc. Trimming connective tissue as needed. Turn it on its side and dump. About 15 minutes.

Return to Top
#2049377 - 11/12/15 07:19 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Busy Bee, CRCM
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Originally Posted By Busy Bee, CRCM
How do I field dress? I don't! laugh My son or husband do it for me. Not that I'm not willing to do it, but I'm not allowed! Now...let me explain why...they won't let me have sharp knives! I darn near cut my finger off a little over a year ago when I accidentally hit the safety on a knife and it closed down and cut through the tendon in my finger. Took a whole lotta stitches, a cast for 8 weeks, and physical therapy to finally use it again! Anytime I touch a knife they tell me to put it down and back away slowly. They clean my fish for me too.

They let me use knives when I cook since those don't have a safety on them.

When I got my doe this year, she fell right on the side of the road and they only had to move her a few feet to get her in the truck. I told the guys that it was my compensation for them field dressing! They didn't have to drag her anywhere. smile

Sounds like a fair deal for a lifetime of having someone else do the hard work.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2049387 - 11/12/15 07:38 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching DD Regs
Peepers Offline
10K Club
[quote=DD Regs]Hidden for the faint of heart: [\quote]

just curious, why did you switch from what you did in the old day? to preserve meat?

I'm thinking of trying that way this year, it looks easier and then you don't have to use the b***out.

I'm sure everyone has their preferred way, I was just curious to hear what those were, thanks

Return to Top
#2049388 - 11/12/15 07:39 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I learned how to do this from my older brother and my sister's husband when I was 13. My son has observed but has so far not attempted to field dress anything. I will say that a good field dress kit with shoulder length gloves and a pair of rubber gloves is a must have item for this chore. The following is not for the faint of heart.
Click to reveal...
I have always started from the bottom, opening the abdominal cavity from bottom to the bottom of the sternum. The key for me is finding a hill and making sure that the head of the deer is higher than it's but. The steeper the angle, the better because gravity is working for you. It's not that difficult here to find a hill and in my experience my deer always end up at the bottom of a big hill that I need to drag them up. I usually split the pelvis, but with my son's deer last year the darned thing would not split for anything so I had to do some fancy knife work. May pack a small hatchet this year for that chore. Once the abdominal cavity is cleaned out, I open the deer's diaphragm, reach up and cut the wind pipe, and pull heart and lungs down and out. I haven't skinned one in a long time as it is so much easier to take to the processor and allow them to do it and I don't have gambrel hooks. I can remember processing some with my older brother when I was a kid with knives and a hack saw - not fun.

Return to Top
#2049390 - 11/12/15 07:51 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Peepers
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
[quote=DD Regs]Hidden for the faint of heart: [\quote]

just curious, why did you switch from what you did in the old day? to preserve meat?

I'm thinking of trying that way this year, it looks easier and then you don't have to use the b***out.

I'm sure everyone has their preferred way, I was just curious to hear what those were, thanks

Peeps, I find that the nifty tool is much easier than splitting the pelvis. You have to see it in action to appreciate it.

Oh, and I do just the opposite of TJ, I put the but uphill so the guts are out of the way, don't want to nick the gut sack. Then turn it around when working on the other end.

And like PA, SE Ohio is the foot hills of the Appalachians, so no problem finding a hill to use the gravity.

Can't even imagine leaving the guts in the deer until it is processed.

Return to Top
#2049395 - 11/12/15 07:59 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I'm assuming everyone here has seen the golf-ball/rock (golf ball or a rock and a truck) method for skinning...

It's truly a sight to see and kind of awesome in practice.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2049396 - 11/12/15 08:04 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Nope, I am assuming there is a youtube.

Return to Top
#2049403 - 11/12/15 08:27 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching DD Regs
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By DD Regs

Can't even imagine leaving the guts in the deer until it is processed.
It's appalling how some people mishandle deer once they are down. Field dressing ASAP is crucial to start cooling down the meat. The game warden that I teach hunter safety with told me he was once a field biologist that went to various deer processors to get data from the deer that were brought in. He said to this day that he can not eat venison. I think that mishandled and improperly processed meat is why some people don't like the taste of wild game. If the meat is properly cared for and prepared, it is delicious.

Return to Top
#2049411 - 11/12/15 08:37 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Yeah, thomasj. So true.

The best beef would taste gamey if it was handled in the manner in which so many hunters treat their game.

Return to Top
#2049426 - 11/12/15 09:06 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching noelekal
Peepers Offline
10K Club
friends of mine process their own and seem to do a pretty good job at it with the steaks, roasts and sausages

may need to go to a processor for summer sausage and sticks though

Return to Top
#2049750 - 11/16/15 02:49 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
We process our own. Never gamey. We got 15 pounds of ground venison, a 5 pound roast - to make Italian "beef" with, another 2 pound roast, and 8 back-strap steaks, out of the most recent deer. Lately we've been making snack sticks out of goose. It's not half bad.

I sat in a stand for the very first time on Veteran's Day. We saw 3, but could not get them to come in close enough for the bow. It was amazing. I can't wait to go back.

Return to Top
#2049768 - 11/16/15 03:20 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I just want steaks and that which can't be made into steaks, a mix of brats, polish, summer sausage and sticks

Return to Top
#2049777 - 11/16/15 03:50 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I realized this weekend that I've had my stupid camera set about two feet too high. All sorts of tracks and I had nothing on camera. Also spent an hour trying to dig my pop-up blind out of the gnarliest brush you've ever seen. We had one heck of a wind-storm.

Going to pull out the ol' Mossberg this weekend. Late start and a slow season so far.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2049803 - 11/16/15 04:29 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
How long is your gun season? We only get a week.

Return to Top
#2049814 - 11/16/15 04:42 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
Peepers Offline
10K Club
week here

Return to Top
#2049832 - 11/16/15 05:15 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
WI opens this coming weekend, MN just ended. For opening of deer in WI I am going pheasant hunting in MN ... I will have to hunt all thankgiving weekend to make up for it.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2049848 - 11/16/15 05:53 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Season is Approaching Norman Paperman
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Oct. 10-12 - Youth Deer Hunting
Archery - Oct. 1 through Jan. 17 (But closed during 2 seasons of firearm hunting)
Firearm: November 20, 21, & 22 (First Season)
December 3, 4, 5, & 6 (Second Season) [shotgun, muzzleloader or a handgun only]

Late Winter Firearm/Special CWD seasonson December 31, 2015 ‐ January 3, 2016 & January 15 ‐ 17, 2016.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9