Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2047591 - 11/02/15 08:03 PM Huh. Imagine that....
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-u-s-govt-spent-43-million-on-a-gas-station-that-s-1740025370

The U.S. Gov't Spent $43 Million On A Gas Station That Should've Cost $500,000

Building this gas station should have cost $500,000. Instead, the U.S. military spent $42,718,739 and can’t explain why.

The gas station in question is very true to its name; it is a compressed natural gas station located in Sheberghan, Afghanistan. A big field of natural gas was discovered in Sheberghan, Buzzfeed reports, which sort of explains why this station is there.

What is harder to explain, is the cost of construction. The Task Force for Stability and Business Operations (TFBSO), a part of the Pentagon working in Afghanistan, gave this as the exact cost of the project.

The Task Force spent $42,718,739 between 2011 and 2014 to fund the construction and to supervise the initial operation of the CNG station (approximately $12.3 [million] in direct costs and $30.0 [million] in overhead costs).

A recent report from the Special Inspector-General for the Rebuilding of Afghanistan investigated the “troubling” and “exorbitant cost” of this station, pointing out that a similar station in Pakistan costs about $500,000 to build. The Sheberghan? Not so much.

If you’re wondering whether or not a CNG station makes sense for Afghanistan, the answer is a resounding no-way-in-[censored], as this line from the Inspector-General clarifies.

TFBSO’s contractor, CADG, states that conversion to CNG costs $700 per car; other sources estimate that it costs up to $800.18 According to the World Bank, the average annual income in Afghanistan is $690.

Most terrifying of all is this line in the Inspector-General’s report.

[T]he Department of Defense claims that it is unable to provide an explanation for the high cost of the project or to answer any other questions concerning its planning, implementation, or outcome. In fact, in response to my request for information, the Principal Deputy Under Secretary for Policy stated in June 2015 that the March 2015 closure of TFBSO resulted in the Office of the Secretary “no longer possessing the personnel expertise to address these questions or to assess properly the TFBSO information and documentation retained by WHS in the OSD Executive Archive.”

Was the cost overrun because of regular warzone-related delays? Was it because the government funded Afghani drivers to convert their cars to run on CNG, when the cost of conversion is more than the average Afghani earns in a year? Was it because the government never actually examined the feasibility of a CNG station before starting the project, as the Inspector-General questions? We don’t know!

snip
Last edited by MB Guy; 11/02/15 08:04 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2047621 - 11/02/15 09:02 PM Re: Huh. Imagine that.... MB Guy
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
That there is some wild and crazy stuff!!

Return to Top
#2047624 - 11/02/15 09:07 PM Re: Huh. Imagine that.... MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Could you imagine a private enterprise telling the IRS that they don't have the people to research the books and properly report costs and income?

Ridiculous carp that the govt entities get away with. We need a legit rep for tax payers in govt.

Return to Top
#2047629 - 11/02/15 09:25 PM Re: Huh. Imagine that.... MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Just crass extortion of the taxpayer.

A good National Review article along the same lines.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/426403/government%E2%80%93usually-just-crass-extortion
Last edited by noelekal; 11/02/15 09:27 PM.

Return to Top
#2047635 - 11/02/15 09:41 PM Re: Huh. Imagine that.... MB Guy
ATLbanker Offline
Gold Star
Georgia
Maybe I should become a CNG station placement consultant. My overhead would only be $15 million. I'd say that's a deal for Uncle Sam.

Return to Top
#2047658 - 11/02/15 10:50 PM Re: Huh. Imagine that.... MB Guy
SociallyInept Offline
New Poster
SociallyInept
Somewhere out there.
$42.7 million spent on a $500,000 gas station.
The gas station sells natural gas that almost no one can use.
The government is unable to provide details as to what the money was spent on.
Anyone else feel like there is probably a $42 million, covert operation, housed in the basement of that gas station? grin
-Demetri Martin

Return to Top
#2047695 - 11/03/15 02:50 PM Re: Huh. Imagine that.... MB Guy
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Can you spell "slush fund"? I thought you could...

Return to Top