Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#204781 - 06/25/04 08:59 PM Stinky House
Anonymous
Unregistered

HELP! We have houseguests. They just fried pork chops in my kitchen, and now the whole house smells like we fried the entire pig. I have other company coming later this evening and I don't want to gag when they walk in the door. What is the quickest, surest way to get rid of this odor?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#204782 - 06/25/04 09:04 PM Re: Stinky House
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
Febreeze! It works wonders - spray everything - the drapes, the carpets, the furniture (if upholstered), etc. I said I would never have a dog in the house because I could always smell my mother's dog every time I walked into her home. Now, I have a Scottish Terrier - IN THE HOUSE! I use Febreeze daily!

Return to Top
#204783 - 06/25/04 09:06 PM Re: Stinky House
Jay Bruce Offline
Platinum Poster
Jay Bruce
The New Loft Chamber
If all else fails....move the party outdoors. Spray everyone down with bug spray to cover up any pig smell.

"A man in a kilt is a man and a half!"

Return to Top
#204784 - 06/25/04 09:12 PM Re: Stinky House
trinna Offline
Gold Star
trinna
Midwest
Febreeze does work wonders but be very careful that one of your guests doesn't have allergies or asthma. I have used the regular Febreeze and had no problems but I bought a new scent and my husband had an asthma attack. No kidding.

Return to Top
#204785 - 06/25/04 09:15 PM Re: Stinky House
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
Great point! I forgot to say that I use the "original" - not the scented versions!

Return to Top
#204786 - 06/25/04 09:17 PM Re: Stinky House
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Good point, Trinia. Whenever I buy Febreeze or Lysol or any such product, I have to buy the blue can because my wife is allergic to the other colors.

Other than what has already been mentioned, the only solution I can think of to the fried pork smell is to fry some fish.

Return to Top
#204787 - 06/25/04 09:20 PM Re: Stinky House
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
febreeze and open the windows!!!!

Return to Top
#204788 - 06/25/04 09:23 PM Re: Stinky House
KSK Offline
Gold Star
KSK
Kansas
If you have a breadmaker, bake some fresh bread. If you don't, go to the store and buy the frozen Rhoades (there are other brands as well - I just can't recall the names)bread dough and bake it. The house will still smell - but not like you ate the whole pig.

Another idea is to light several non-offensive smelling candles (all of the same scent - not mixed) around the house. There is something about the burning of the oxygen at the wick that has a way of disbursing odors. But then with the candle scent, you also replace the smell of one thing with something more pleasing to the olfactory (sp?) receptors.

Return to Top
#204789 - 06/25/04 09:27 PM Re: Stinky House
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
The first thing I would do is air the house out without using anything. Then try one of the above suggestions. Reason being, you don't want the house smelling like "Rain Garden Fried Pig"!

Return to Top
#204790 - 06/25/04 09:27 PM Re: Stinky House
Compliance Mom Offline
Tennessee
When my husband smokes up the house with his cooking everything on high habit, I open windows, turn the central unit on and spray something fresh smelling into the intake. A few minutes of circulating air is all it takes.

Return to Top
#204791 - 06/25/04 09:33 PM Re: Stinky House
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Boil a little pine sole or water with cinnamon on the stove. Well, a very low simmer...

Return to Top
#204792 - 06/25/04 09:36 PM Re: Stinky House
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
A wet Airedale will do the trick. The house will still stink, but nobody will be able to smell the pork chops

Return to Top
#204793 - 06/25/04 09:43 PM Re: Stinky House
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
cover a cookie sheet in aluminium foil, then put some cinnamon on it. Put it in the oven at a low temp, and the whole place will smell good.

My parents used that trick when we were selling the house!

Return to Top
#204794 - 06/25/04 09:49 PM Re: Stinky House
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Other than what has already been mentioned, the only solution I can think of to the fried pork smell is to fry some fish.

I'm loving these suggestions, but this one in particular (and the one about the Rain Garden Fried Pig) made me ROFL.

Return to Top
#204795 - 06/25/04 10:01 PM Re: Stinky House
Anonymous
Unregistered

Place a couple of bowls of white distilled vinegar in the rooms affected. This will do it....also wipe down the stove area with fresh lemon juice!

Return to Top
#204796 - 06/25/04 10:18 PM Re: Stinky House
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Light a match. This works for more than just the bathroom!

Return to Top
#204797 - 06/25/04 11:57 PM Re: Stinky House
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

Light a match. This works for more than just the bathroom!

If you pour gasoline around the premeter of the house, empty it of any valuables and children, pets, etc. then light the match...all smells will vanish.

Don't call 911 right away...if you do you'll still have the smell and a messy smoke residue to deal with

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#204798 - 06/25/04 11:58 PM Re: Stinky House
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
2 things, 1) Fabreeze and birds DO NOT match. My wife lost several Finches and it wasn't even sprayed in the same room. 2) If they good friends, when they come in blame Michael for getting "pork chop" scented air freshener or if they are really good friends, tell them it is a beautiful night, you're eating out or at least outside.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top