Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#204987 - 06/28/04 03:26 PM Employee Pics on Web Site
E. Lavenza Offline
100 Club
laboratory
Company is busily taking employee pictures to post on the web site - to make it more personal. Several employees have expressed that they are not comfortable with their pictures being posted yet no body has asked them - people are simply called in for our photo time. Seems to me the employee has the right to say no to having their picture posted? Has anyone else come across this? Any employee pictures on your web site?

Return to Top
Marketing
#204988 - 06/28/04 03:29 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, I don;t think you should post pictures without consent

Return to Top
#204989 - 06/28/04 08:29 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
I can see both sides of the issue. We do have pics of our customer contact officers on our website b/c we are in a very small town and everybody knows everybody anyway. The photos correspond to the product to help prospective customers familiarize themselves with which employee you call for which product or service.

A compromise might be to do group photos and instead of putting names underneath the picture, just put the name of the department. I.E. "Local Bank's Lending Department".

Return to Top
#204990 - 06/28/04 09:05 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
If the pictures will be posted with names, has anyone considered the security implications of this practice?

Return to Top
#204991 - 06/28/04 09:26 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Anonymous
Unregistered

I noticed at the Post Office that they have lots of Pic...one front view and one side view.

Return to Top
#204992 - 06/29/04 12:56 AM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This should be a "with consent" only issue. The implications upon the bank if this came back and a crime victim was selected because of that would be immense. Tellers often have a first name on a name tag, not usually a last name. In a small town environment it may not be unusual as everyone already knows everything, in a larger area this becomes worrisome to me. Add stock photos if you want.

Personally I am not a fan of real employee names there much anyway, depending on the position. I had folks emailing me for years because they had my address, even when I had nothing to do with what there relationship involved. For this reason I like "lender@...", "newaccounts@..." etc.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#204993 - 06/29/04 12:00 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
One possible consideration to use when deciding whether or not to post employee pictures on the web site.

Employee Kidnapped

Return to Top
#204994 - 06/29/04 12:03 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Kind of makes me think of the movie 'Bandits'.

Return to Top
#204995 - 06/29/04 01:42 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
If I am a bad guy and can get the names and pictures of your office managers, you have made it much easier for me to carry out a kidnap/extortion crime using readily available people search services (like Yahoo!). Given your address and home phone number, I can:
- map my way to your front door
- recognize you as you leave for work
- call (cell phone) to be sure the spouse and kids are home after you've gone
- enter your home and hold your family at gunpoint
- phone you at the office and instruct you to empty the vault cash into a trash bag and hand it to the nice person with the ski mask who is standing in front of the branch

Return to Top
#204996 - 06/29/04 11:03 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
We do not post pictures on our website for that very reason (security). Marketing and compliance do not see eye to eye on this issue.

Return to Top
#204997 - 06/30/04 12:04 AM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
OK, Andy - but why is it that you post your picture on the web? Don't you have concerns? Especially now that you are one of the big bucks BOL employees! I've noticed that most BOL posters have taken their picture off, except for BOL managment, vendors and Gurus. That's a smart thing to do.

Return to Top
#204998 - 06/30/04 03:19 AM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
In some cases you want your picture out there and to be recognizable. It hasn't really bothered me. It can be a double edged sword. I would be more concerned if I was a Realtor bragging that I hit the Multi-Million Dollar Club in sales and gave away my picture and contact information. Plus, they meet clients at vacant homes at all hours.

And the part about the big bucks, , that is a good one. It is the benefit of working at home and getting to do the fun stuff that makes it worthwhile. Wait, are you serious, they pay people to do this?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#204999 - 06/30/04 02:59 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Anonymous
Unregistered

At the bank where I work there are pictures of every employee. The pictures are grouped according to what department or branch the employee works in. It seems there is no issue, yet, at my bank as an innvasion of privacy. The pictures can be useful for the employees because it has a little bit of personal information along with the photo so everyone can kind of get to know the other employees of the bank.

Return to Top
#205000 - 06/30/04 04:50 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
If you keep these staff photos and departmental groupings on your intranet, there's no security consideration.

Return to Top
#205001 - 07/01/04 12:51 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
Anonymous
Unregistered

We only have dated pictures of our CEO and President on our fairly mundane website. I would have to say that we would get employee consent prior to posting pictures of other employees. I don't my picture on the web. We are in a major metropolitan area and there are so many security concerns that not obtaining consent would be unreasonable.

Return to Top
#205002 - 08/04/05 07:06 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
JC3 Offline
New Poster
JC3
Florida
The bank I work at we have two websites. We have an employee website, which only employees can look at and that website has our pictures on it. Then we have bank website where the public can review it, that website just gives are banking information. I think this is a good idea because as it was stated above, the other employees at different branch can see whos who at work, with the knowledge of it being private and safe.

Return to Top
#205003 - 08/04/05 07:54 PM Re: Employee Pics on Web Site
SLU Voice Offline
Gold Star
SLU Voice
Hammond, LA
There was a thread a while back about whether bank employees should be unionized. This is a good reason why they should, and it's not just to give marginal, uninspired, unmotivated employees job security. This is personal security. See Retread post above.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker