Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2050300 - 11/18/15 05:42 PM Conflict of Interest with a Sponsorship
Hi Offline
We have a bank director that holds an annual nationally recognized event. The bank has sponsored the event prior to the event holder joining the Board (sponsored for 3 years - been a director for one year). Since the event owner is now a director, is there any documentation and/or review we should do to document that sponsorship of the Director's event does not cause a conflict of interest?

Are there any other issues we should consider regarding the sponsorship now that the owner is a director?

Return to Top
Audit
#2050308 - 11/18/15 06:09 PM Re: Conflict of Interest with a Sponsorship Hi
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't see any issues, but I am assuming you are talking about some sort of non-profit event.

Return to Top
#2050314 - 11/18/15 06:26 PM Re: Conflict of Interest with a Sponsorship Hi
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I'd need more details such as...what type of event? Anything political (fundraiser) would be a no no, but I doubt that's it since you sponsored before. Is the Director also an owner of the bank? It cant hurt to document that the amount of the sponsorship is the same as in prior years. If it's something you get CRA credit for, that would be an easy way to track.

Return to Top
#2050322 - 11/18/15 06:36 PM Re: Conflict of Interest with a Sponsorship Hi
Hi Offline
My understanding the event does make a profit. It is a hunting related competition event where prizes are award to entrants of the competition. No cost to enter the contest. There are also individual retail exhibitors at the event. We are one of 9 major sponsors. The director is a shareholder but not a principal shareholder.

Return to Top
#2050326 - 11/18/15 06:50 PM Re: Conflict of Interest with a Sponsorship Hi
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I don't see an issue...notating that the amount is similar to prior years cant hurt.

Return to Top
#2050332 - 11/18/15 07:07 PM Re: Conflict of Interest with a Sponsorship Hi
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't see anything of note either.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z