Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2055502 - 12/23/15 03:14 PM ARM-extend payment, must extend maturity?
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
We are new to ARMs and have only originated a few so far. We already have a customer that has had a financial emergency and is requesting a one month payment extension on a 7/1 ARM. Must we also extend the maturity by one month? Or will the loan be re-amortized at recast and so no need to extend the maturity to prevent a balloon for the final payment?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2055510 - 12/23/15 03:34 PM Re: ARM-extend payment, must extend maturity? Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Depends on your deferral and loan agreement.

Return to Top
#2055518 - 12/23/15 03:52 PM Re: ARM-extend payment, must extend maturity? Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
rlcarey, I always appreciate your help. In this case, I am completely out of my element. Could you elaborate a bit? Would I be looking for terms in the loan agreement that outline if, when and how we allow deferrals of payments? And by deferral agreement, do you mean any internal agreement we have to use to execute the deferral between us and the customer? What should I be on the lookout for? Thanks smile

Return to Top
#2055579 - 12/23/15 06:52 PM Re: ARM-extend payment, must extend maturity? Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I really doubt that your loan agreement actually addresses deferrals. So that leaves you with the deferral agreement itself. Since you are modifying the loan obligation of the borrower, it should be supported by a legal modification to the underlying contract. That said, you most likely need to be having this discussion with your legal counsel to ensure that whatever you are using supports both how you plan to handle the loan from a servicing perspective and complies with any State law issues. Whether the deferral will result in an extension of maturity or will be made up at the next recast of the loan after consultation with your legal counsel should be addressed in your modification agreement.

Return to Top
#2055588 - 12/23/15 07:08 PM Re: ARM-extend payment, must extend maturity? Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Thanks very much, rlcarey, for your help!

Return to Top
#2055639 - 12/23/15 08:51 PM Re: ARM-extend payment, must extend maturity? rlcarey
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By rlcarey
Whether the deferral will result in an extension of maturity or will be made up at the next recast of the loan...should be addressed in your modification agreement.
Although the note may not provide a direct answer, it probably does address the more common case where the loan is off the projected amortization schedule due to lump sum curtailments and other voluntary accelerations of principal repayment. Maybe it's possible to apply this language to the case at hand.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z