Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2027645 - 07/16/15 07:49 PM New customer due dilligence
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
I'm out at Appendix K of the BSA exam manual. For low risk customers (Identified in the example chart as resident consumer DDA, Savings, etc) a "basic profile, generic threshold monitoring" is the suggestion. Can someone enlighten this non-BSA officer about the "basic profile?"

Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2027671 - 07/16/15 08:17 PM Re: New customer due dilligence Cornfed Turtle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Purpose of account, expected activity, employment information.

Return to Top
#2027710 - 07/16/15 08:49 PM Re: New customer due dilligence rlcarey
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
Perfect! Thanks.

Return to Top
#2055566 - 12/23/15 06:18 PM Re: New customer due dilligence Cornfed Turtle
New Manager Offline
100 Club
I was at an industry conference earlier this year and when the question was asked as to how many people actually use that information after it's collected, only about 1/3 of the 600+ people in the room raised their hand.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has removed "expected activity" dollar ranges from their new business account questionnaire. If so, did you receive any pushback from the examiners? We're thinking of removing the dollar ranges, but leaving the types of activity.

Return to Top
#2055634 - 12/23/15 08:34 PM Re: New customer due dilligence Cornfed Turtle
Lilly C Offline
100 Club
Lilly C
Sunny Florida
We collect the expected activity with ranges, employment and purpose of the account. I only use the ranges if the account was flagged by the AML system for some reason. I don't find the ranges helpful at al but I don't plan on eliminating it. I want the personal bankers to continue to have some conversation with the customers. The type of activity is very helpful- yes.

Return to Top
#2055636 - 12/23/15 08:38 PM Re: New customer due dilligence Cornfed Turtle
New Manager Offline
100 Club
Thanks Lilly!

In discussing this with a couple other peers, our feeling is that if someone is planning on doing anything shady, they're going to tell us the ranges that fit the shady activity, so what use is it really?

I'd love to hear from others.

Return to Top
#2055637 - 12/23/15 08:41 PM Re: New customer due dilligence Cornfed Turtle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Those conversations should happen regardless of any type of BSA/AML motivation. Without knowing the answers to those questions, how can anyone possibly recommend the best product or products for the customer and increase the ability to cross sell additional products and services?? What you do is teach your new accounts people to cross sell efficiently and then it just comes down to documenting what they found out.

I can't tell you how many times I am in banks where the new account person leads off with, I have to ask you these questions to comply with government regulations. I just sit there and think to myself, wow, really??

Return to Top
#2055647 - 12/23/15 09:23 PM Re: New customer due dilligence rlcarey
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By rlcarey
I can't tell you how many times I am in banks where the new account person leads off with, I have to ask you these questions to comply with government regulations. I just sit there and think to myself, wow, really??

I didn't know we hired you as a consultant Randy. If you were to ask anyone here what "cross sell" was they would probably think it was a new type of crossword puzzle (since we hand those out to the tellers to do daily).

Return to Top
#2055717 - 12/24/15 04:10 PM Re: New customer due dilligence Cornfed Turtle
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I'd rather have the issue of them not knowing what cross-selling is that my current struggle of compliance training being pushed back for new staff so they can get more sales training in their first 30 days smile

I haven't taken a look at the CDD stuff that came out from FinCEN yesterday. Hard to find time for reading about potential future proposed rules though!

Return to Top
#2055797 - 12/28/15 04:19 PM Re: New customer due dilligence Cornfed Turtle
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
FinCEN's latest offering is a couple of documents to supplement its August 4, 2014, proposal to enhance customer due diligence requirements. Apparently several banks commented on the proposal, asserting that it would be more expensive to implement than FinCEN had estimated/guessed. After FinCEN reached out to those banks for more info, it decided the impact might be greater than the threshold amount requiring additional information on cost of implementation, so FinCEN is now supplying that information.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2055808 - 12/28/15 04:40 PM Re: New customer due dilligence Cornfed Turtle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And it is again available for comment, as it is probably woefully underestimated, although I have not reviewed in detail.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z