Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#205577 - 06/29/04 05:33 PM out of pocket expenses for consultants
Red Offline
Gold Star
Red
New England
Is there a rule of thumb on how much out of pocket expenses s/b in relation to a contract? Say 25% of the contract price? Is it customary to negotiate for caps for expenditures? Do you ever ask for substantiation of the expenses? Currently we just get a lump bill for expenses quarterly.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#205578 - 06/29/04 06:11 PM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you don't cap the expenses, I'd ask for a itemization of the out of pocket expenses. We asked for a breakdown onetime and they came back with a breakdown that was less than originally submitted.

Return to Top
#205579 - 06/29/04 06:13 PM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You are free to negotiate whatever you think you can get away with, including caps on OOP expenses. And you should ask for contract language allowing you to require documentation of any OOP larger than X, depending on your comfort level.

In my last life, we had an accounting firm low-ball us on their bid for the first year of a three-year engagement. Then at the end of that year we got a whopping OOP invoice. We played hardball and negotiated the size of that bill, but only after demanding documentation. It would have been easier, I think, if the contract provided for these things.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#205580 - 06/29/04 07:17 PM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I am a consultant. What kind of OOP would your consultant have? We bid for consultation and travel expenses. If we go over, we lose - not the client. Are these unforseen travel expenses?

Return to Top
#205581 - 06/29/04 07:30 PM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
Red Offline
Gold Star
Red
New England
No, travel, food, lodging, misc (postage, etc). In the past we have agreed to pay for OOP. In the 2nd year of engagement, OOP doubled- they were not here any more and there has not been any large increases in room rates around here.

Return to Top
#205582 - 06/29/04 07:42 PM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I would ask for a complete itemization before paying. I would also think again about dealing with this company as it appears to be an unethical act.

Return to Top
#205583 - 06/30/04 05:50 PM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
Red Offline
Gold Star
Red
New England
Thanks so much for the input. You have helped me help my employer save a few $$. Just curious, what type of consultant are you, David?

Return to Top
#205584 - 06/30/04 06:02 PM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

Return to Top
#205585 - 06/30/04 09:56 PM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

David's web page:

Bankers Compliance Consulting

Thanks Dan. You should find all the info you might need at our website. If you have further questions, contact me.

Return to Top
#205586 - 07/01/04 01:38 AM Re: out of pocket expenses for consultants
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
I am currently a consultant, but have also been on the other side of the fence and managed consultants while working for a community bank. Our out of pocket expenses generally vary widely depending upon overnight travel (hotels, meals) and airfare. We generally provide a range of out of pocket expenses if they will be significant (i.e. 10-12% of project cost). Some clients ask for a cap on expenses, and some want everything rolled into one price (accomplishing the same thing).

Switching gears and going back to my banking days, there were times I asked for and got a cap on expenses, and other times I didn't ask. If I thought the actual billed expenses were out of line, I would ask for the detail, otherwise, I wouldn't.

Bottom line, be comfortable with the consultants / auditors that you are using. If they can't provide you with a good estimate of the expenses, you might consider asking for a cap.

Return to Top