Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Thread Options
#2056471 - 01/02/16 02:07 PM What are you reading? (2016)
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
"Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath" by Ted Koppel (2015). Okay, the title sort of sketches the plot: "...imagine a blackout lasting not days, but weeks or months." It's interesting, but it's one expert after another being quoted as saying this is possible and that we are toast if it does happen; at 34% it's beginning to get pretty repetitive.

Thus susceptible to diversion, I downloaded a book it alluded to, "One Second After" (2011) by William R. Forstchen a novel focused on a rural community in North Carolina when the lights go out after an NEMP. It's very simply written, but still a very good read and thought provoking. (It's apparently become the preppers': We told you so!) It was good enough that I also read the sequel, "One Year After" (2015) which is little more than a script for a great action movie. (There are really good parts for Pierce Brosnan, Helen Hunt, Chris Pine, and Cuba Gooding, Jr.)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2056476 - 01/03/16 09:21 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Quote:
Originally Posted By Ken_Pegasus
"Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath" by Ted Koppel (2015). Okay, the title sort of sketches the plot: "...imagine a blackout lasting not days, but weeks or months." It's interesting, but it's one expert after another being quoted as saying this is possible and that we are toast if it does happen; at 34% it's beginning to get pretty repetitive.

Thus susceptible to diversion, I downloaded a book it alluded to, "One Second After" (2011) by William R. Forstchen a novel focused on a rural community in North Carolina when the lights go out after an NEMP. It's very simply written, but still a very good read and thought provoking. (It's apparently become the preppers': We told you so!) It was good enough that I also read the sequel, "One Year After" (2015) which is little more than a script for a great action movie. (There are really good parts for Pierce Brosnan, Helen Hunt, Chris Pine, and Cuba Gooding, Jr.)

Ken, your post reminded me of a call I received from my sister a few weeks after Hurricane Ivan. Her home was the last in town to get power back, 2 to 3 weeks after the storm. It had to do with being just about the oldest house in a very small town. At one time she actually had the shut off for the gas supply for the town in her yard (she learned it was not just her shut off valve when she turned it off. smile!) When she called me post-Ivan for an update, she called on her cell phone that had been charged in her car, and said "Just call me "Ma Kettle". I am sitting on a lawn chair in my back yard, drinking a beer from a cooler, and eating an MRE that the National Guard dropped off." We still laugh about that.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2056481 - 01/04/16 01:45 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
61 Hours by Lee Child.

I have "One Second After" on hold at the library.

Return to Top
#2056483 - 01/04/16 01:57 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Blood Trust - Eric Van Lustbader...just so-so

Return to Top
#2056487 - 01/04/16 02:45 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I started the Jack Reacher series this vacation, and am already hooked. I loved the first book and stayed up way too late last night on the second one! Far fetched stuff, but a great read!

Return to Top
#2056495 - 01/04/16 03:07 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
dreamz Offline
New Poster
dreamz
Heart-Shaped Box, Joe Hill. I am loving it so far! I can't wait to leave work today and pick it back up!

Return to Top
#2056497 - 01/04/16 03:13 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) DEL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By DEL
I started the Jack Reacher series this vacation, and am already hooked. I loved the first book and stayed up way too late last night on the second one! Far fetched stuff, but a great read!

I've read each one, in order, as they've come out...they are starting to get repetitive...guess you can only single-handedly save the world in so many ways...

Return to Top
#2056501 - 01/04/16 03:23 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I am reading the Jack Reacher books out of order (as they become available at my library) but it doesn't matter to me. The storylines are repetitive but not a problem for me yet.

Return to Top
#2056506 - 01/04/16 03:29 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I'm reading Inferno by Dan Brown. Another Robert Langdon adventure like the DaVinci Code, this time set in Florence. I keep googling the places he writes about to see what they look like. Like Brown's other books, it's a thriller that hooks you in right from the start, and you can learn a few things along the way.

Return to Top
#2056520 - 01/04/16 04:18 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Always have several books going simultaneously. One finished yesterday was "Behind That Locked Door" by Graeme Thomson, a biography about the life of George Harrison.

I enjoyed it and appreciated the insights if offered into the Beatles, the music business, and Harrison's creative work both during and after the Beatles. Given the subject, it's probably too weighty an effort, dwelling on peripheral aspects of his life. Surprisingly scholarly, it's a long read that probably will bog down for most readers after about half-way through when one reaches about the mid-1970s and Harrison's relevance to pop music begins to fade though his personality is further developed for the reader in the second half of the book.

Return to Top
#2056522 - 01/04/16 04:22 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I just finished re-reading the Walking Dead compendium 2 and starting Odd Interlude by Koontz today at lunch. On a side note after reading so much Walking Dead and playing Fallout 4, I'm ready to not be involved in the end of the world for a while.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2056526 - 01/04/16 04:37 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I just finished "The Guilty", the latest in Robert Baldacci's Will Robie series. It was a very good book with some twists and turns I didn't quite predict. I listened to the entire thing through the Audible app. It's my first time listening to an audio book and I really enjoyed it. When I put my headphones in, it was as if the world fell away and I felt really invested in the book and characters. I even laughed and gasped aloud more than a few times. I think I'm an audio book convert!!

Return to Top
#2056529 - 01/04/16 04:46 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
CompliantOkie - I just finished that book over the weekend. It took me awhile to get into it, though. It wasn't my favorite Robie/Reel novel.

Return to Top
#2056531 - 01/04/16 04:49 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
BOL threads smirk

Return to Top
#2056532 - 01/04/16 04:53 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Skittles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Originally Posted By Skittles
CompliantOkie - I just finished that book over the weekend. It took me awhile to get into it, though. It wasn't my favorite Robie/Reel novel.

It was a bit of a slow start. The plot seemed too similar to a Robert Downey Jr. movie I recently watched though the name escapes me. But listening to it on my phone kept me interested. I tend to read very quickly and skim over descriptive sections of novels. This didn't allow me to do that so maybe that's why I was immersed more quickly than I typically would be.

Return to Top
#2056534 - 01/04/16 05:06 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) CompliantOkie
yankee07 Offline
New Poster
I am half way through the Goldfinch by Donna Traptt, one of the best I have read recently. You never know where the story line will take you next. Highly recommend it.

Return to Top
#2056537 - 01/04/16 05:14 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Just finished Girl on the Train over vacation, now on to The Secret Life of Violet Grant.

Return to Top
#2056566 - 01/04/16 07:20 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Soccer
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I've really enjoyed all of the Jack Reacher books except the last one (the plot was so implausible I couldn't swallow it) and always pictured James Gandolfini as the lead. Casting Tom Cruise in the movie was like casting Cheetah to play King Kong.

Return to Top
#2056568 - 01/04/16 07:24 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Funny - and I get actors in my heads when reading certain books. I always picture Jim Caveziel (spelling?) as Will Robie in the Baldacci series.

Return to Top
#2056575 - 01/04/16 07:55 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
the good thing about Reacher novels is they each stand alone, doesn't matter what order you read them. Ken, I agree that Cruise was implausible in this role, yet they are currently filming the 2nd one in Baton Rouge at this time (not sure which one it is based on).

Return to Top
#2056583 - 01/04/16 08:11 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I've heard the second Reacher book is based on Never Go Back.

Return to Top
#2056635 - 01/04/16 09:58 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
CompliantOkie, I adore Audible, it's definitely one of my favorite apps. Some of the narrators are so good.

Currently listening to the second book in the Zombie Fallout series (A Plague on Your Family) and reading... um.... I have forgotten. I read so many books over the holidays I have forgotten what I'm actually reading right now. I am pretty sure it's a time travel book; I just started it so I don't know if it's good yet.

Does anyone do Goodreads book challenge? I set my challenge at 125 for 2016. I finished 2015 at 168 books (goal of 115) so I'm pretty confident I should be able to do 125 by year-end.

Return to Top
#2056834 - 01/05/16 08:39 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Elwood P. Dowd
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I'm working my way through the Leon Panetta Memoir "Worthy Fights" and have picked up what's left of Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor".

Worthy Fights is my home/hunting book.
Debt of Honor is my work book that has sat half-read for over a year.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2056838 - 01/05/16 08:44 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) CompliantOkie
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
audio book convert!!

You mean story-time. You enjoy story-time. laugh

I kid, I kid.

I shouldn't joke here because I don't get to read as much as I used to, but I'm a strong opponent of the audio-book movement.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2056844 - 01/05/16 08:52 PM Re: What are you reading? (2016) Norman Paperman
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Originally Posted By Norman Paperman
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
audio book convert!!

You mean story-time. You enjoy story-time. laugh

I kid, I kid.

I shouldn't joke here because I don't get to read as much as I used to, but I'm a strong opponent of the audio-book movement.

mad smile

Return to Top
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14