Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2057919 - 01/11/16 09:44 PM Reporting for a rental property
Everest Offline
Gold Star
I am wondering if I am thinking correctly on how to report the following information on the LAR. The loan is to purchase a 1-4 single family home for rental purposes. However, the loan is secured by the borrowers primary residence. Is this the accurate way to report the following:

Property Type: 1-4 Single Family (rental property)
Purpose: Purchase
Occupancy: Non OO (based on rental property and not the owners actual home that is securing the loan)
MSA/State/County/Census Tract info: code based on the rental property location and not the property securing the loan

Thanks.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2057927 - 01/11/16 09:52 PM Re: Reporting for a rental property Everest
Melissa S Offline
Gold Star
Melissa S
Maine
Appendix D of the GIR (page D-9) states "For a home purchase loan, an institution reports the property taken as security. If an institution takes more than one property as security, the institutions reports the location of the property being purchased if there is just one."

Return to Top
#2057931 - 01/11/16 10:07 PM Re: Reporting for a rental property Everest
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I disagree. If the loan is secured by the primary residence it is owner occupied. It would be a purchase; however the property taken as collateral is owner occupied and you would geocode that property.

Return to Top
#2057955 - 01/12/16 06:09 AM Re: Reporting for a rental property Everest
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
FWIW, ditto what Skittles said.

And what this section should say----
Appendix D of the GIR (page D-9) states "For a home purchase loan, an institution reports the property taken as security. If an institution takes more than one property (and one of the properties is the one being purchased) as security, the institutions reports the location of the property being purchased if there is just one."

Return to Top
#2058734 - 01/14/16 07:40 PM Re: Reporting for a rental property Everest
Colorado Girl Offline
As stated above, the Occupancy should be reported for the property to which the loan or application relates (geocoded), the property type is also indicated for the property to which the loan or application relates. So in this case, the property type will be indicated for the borrowers primary residence, not the rental property.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM