BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2057995 - 01/12/16 02:35 PM Firearm prohibition
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Here in Texas, with a permit, it is legal for citizens to carry their handguns in plain sight. In a survey conducted by a Texas bankers' association, only 21% of the member banks surveyed intend to prohibit firearms inside the bank. And of that 21%, only 14% prohibit open carry....the other 7% allow concealed carry.

As it should be.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2057999 - 01/12/16 02:46 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
No signs went up here. This west central Texas bank ended up giving a yawn to the whole open carry thing, the advent of which proved to be a bust of somewhat less than Y2K proportions, despite the big build-up by the media. Though the region is more pro-firearms than some areas, not one instance of open carry has been spotted in the bank lobby, or in town for that matter. No blood running in the streets. Well ... there was a squushed 'possum in the street out near the bypass.

Of course it's cool weather at present. Perhaps when the outer garments come off the pistolas will appear, but I doubt it.

Return to Top
#2058007 - 01/12/16 02:53 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
OK enacted open carry a year or two ago. I've seen 1 person carrying and he was an off duty police officer judging by his appearance and general demeanor. No one has open carried in any of our branches.

We've chosen to not put up any signs in our TX branches. I just don't foresee it being an issue.

Return to Top
#2058008 - 01/12/16 02:55 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Yikes, what is all that about? Common sense and letting people live their lives as they see fit? Surely that cannot be in today's ever-offended society.

Return to Top
#2058036 - 01/12/16 03:40 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
We have open carry laws, however, our bank will ask anyone with a firearm to leave the premises and return without the firearm. We have had a few instances where someone is carrying and we've asked them to leave their gun in their car while the come into the bank and they haven't had an issue with it. If someone were to refuse to leave, we would call the cops because they are trespassing, not because of the gun issue.

Return to Top
#2058039 - 01/12/16 03:53 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
So what is the best open carry weapon of choice? I am sure there will be a difference between men and women, given hand strength and size.

Return to Top
#2058041 - 01/12/16 03:59 PM Re: Firearm prohibition Pale Rider
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I prefer a revolver. I just purchased a new 38.....not sure what it's made of.....not that savvy about guns....but it is real light weight and snub-nosed so not so big for my purse. Plus, now that we have open carry, I don't have to worry about opening my purse and someone spying it in there....though I really don't want ANYONE to see my firearm. That is an invitation to get knocked in the head for, not my purse, but my gun. My old 38..seems weighed 50 pounds.

Oh....and my new one is pink. wink

Return to Top
#2058051 - 01/12/16 04:16 PM Re: Firearm prohibition TMatt87
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By TMatt87
We have open carry laws, however, our bank will ask anyone with a firearm to leave the premises and return without the firearm. We have had a few instances where someone is carrying and we've asked them to leave their gun in their car while the come into the bank and they haven't had an issue with it. If someone were to refuse to leave, we would call the cops because they are trespassing, not because of the gun issue.

do you have signs up stating no weapons on premises or please leave your guns in your car when transacting business in the bank?

Return to Top
#2058052 - 01/12/16 04:18 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
We used to post no weapons, but actually took the signs down due to insurance concerns....it was a huge issue when Wisconsin became a CC state.

Now personally, I have an awesome hot pink .380 that I do carry with the proper CC permit...

Return to Top
#2058057 - 01/12/16 04:34 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I have a Ruger 9mm that I really like.

Return to Top
#2058059 - 01/12/16 04:38 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
ComplianceGuru89, CRCM Offline
Another good CC is the SCCY 9. Very small, light, and compact and won't break the bank either. I prefer my FNH9 but that's a little harder to conceal in the communist state of Illinois.

Return to Top
#2058060 - 01/12/16 04:40 PM Re: Firearm prohibition Beagles22
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I'm still not comfortable with my semi (Bersa .380) because I've never shot it at the range....just prefer to carry my .38 revolver.....easy breezy.

Return to Top
#2058073 - 01/12/16 04:56 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I just put a Glock new gen model 19 9mm on layaway. I put it on layaway just to prove I can be disciplined...when I want to be. It will make a nice CC or OC gun.

If someone came in here and the gun was really cool...we'd probably all surround them and want to take a look! laugh!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2058075 - 01/12/16 05:01 PM Re: Firearm prohibition HappyGilmore
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By TMatt87

do you have signs up stating no weapons on premises or please leave your guns in your car when transacting business in the bank?

We don't have signs, we just train our personnel to be on the look out. If it's concealed, we are none the wiser, but we have some people who wear their six-shooters loud and proud. It's those people we ask to go put their guns in the car. The reason we do it is so customers and our front line staff don't feel threatened or frightened by seeing someone with a gun.

Return to Top
#2058083 - 01/12/16 05:13 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Smith and Wesson M&P Shield pistols are great carry guns. They also make a Bodyguard model in .380. I don't know why anyone would want to paint a target on themselves by open carrying. I am glad that concealed carry is an option where I live, I do have concerns about having people with no practical knowledge of defensive use of firearms carrying. Open carriers around here draw little attention from the general population - just saw someone in Wal-Mart this weekend open carrying.

Return to Top
#2058084 - 01/12/16 05:15 PM Re: Firearm prohibition RVFlyboy
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By BeechFlyboy
I have a Ruger 9mm that I really like.

Agreed. The little bugger has some kick to it.

Return to Top
#2058087 - 01/12/16 05:20 PM Re: Firearm prohibition Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By Pale Rider
So what is the best open carry weapon of choice? I am sure there will be a difference between men and women, given hand strength and size.

Neither Mrs. noelekal or I are interested in open carry, preferring concealing side arms. As far as size goes, I prefer larger handguns with good ergonomics and some weight over excessively stunted ones that are too light and more difficult to properly grasp. Mrs. noelekal totes a Smith & Wesson Model 642 in her purse. It features an aluminum-alloy frame and is a lightweight variant of the ubiquitous Smith & Wesson all-steel J-Frame revolver. I'm not keen on the notion of purse carry but if one insists in carrying that way then the light weight is beneficial. The problem with the light weight .38 Special revolver is that shooting it with heavy self-defense type loads is somewhat like holding one's hand out to be swatted with a baseball bat. She shoots it well though. She's a petite gal and it fits her small hands better than it does mine.

She used to regularly tote a full-sized Colt Government Model .45 Automatic which she can shoot even better but that one weighs three times more than the Model 642.

Return to Top
#2058089 - 01/12/16 05:37 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I personally carry a Smith & Wesson M & P Shield 9MM with Hornady critical defense rounds. I tried several smaller sized pistols and revolvers but none of them fit right in my hand. I'm pretty particular about making sure it feels secure in my hand.

I can't carry at work, but when I'm not working, I carry concealed. I never carry it in my purse because I feel that a purse is an easy object for a thief to grab. I use a bright pink Kydex holster that fits really comfortably along my back.

Return to Top
#2058097 - 01/12/16 05:55 PM Re: Firearm prohibition TMatt87
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:
If someone were to refuse to leave, we would call the cops because they are trespassing, not because of the gun issue.

I don't understand how they would be trespassing if they're there to do bank business. So this WOULD be a gun issue, wouldn't it?

Return to Top
#2058099 - 01/12/16 05:57 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Bright Pink but you can't see it. Kind of a shame really! I traded my son a S&W 36 Lite, which is an excellent revolver for a Walther P22, just because it's fun to shoot. BUT, decided I needed something somewhere between the .22 and a 12 gauge for CC. laugh!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2058101 - 01/12/16 06:01 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Pfeifer Zeliska 28mm Revolver?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2058109 - 01/12/16 06:17 PM Re: Firearm prohibition edAudit
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By edAudit
Pfeifer Zeliska 28mm Revolver?

Great for golf caddy cart carry.

Return to Top
#2058111 - 01/12/16 06:17 PM Re: Firearm prohibition swiggles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I CC my Walther PPKs .380. I call it my James Bond gun.
My hubby likes the M&P Shield for me and is trying to convince me to carry it instead.

He carries a Kimber 1911 .45 with custom rosewood grips that I'm pretty sure he loves more than he loves me.

Our executive board room is affectionately called the "gun room" because it houses the CEO's personal hunting rifle collection. So yeah we're okay with guns in the bank.

Return to Top
#2058117 - 01/12/16 06:29 PM Re: Firearm prohibition thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By thomasj
Smith and Wesson Bodyguard model in .380.

had one and sold it, they make 9's about the same size as this .380, switched to Kimber Solo Carry 9mm, fits in the front pocket

Return to Top
#2058121 - 01/12/16 06:33 PM Re: Firearm prohibition CompliantOkie
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
I CC my Walther PPKs .380. I call it my James Bond gun.
My hubby likes the M&P Shield for me and is trying to convince me to carry it instead.

He carries a Kimber 1911 .45 with custom rosewood grips that I'm pretty sure he loves more than he loves me.

Our executive board room is affectionately called the "gun room" because it houses the CEO's personal hunting rifle collection. So yeah we're okay with guns in the bank.

Wasn't the bond gun was a Walther PPK. 7.65 mm?

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2