BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2058655 - 01/14/16 04:40 PM Transfer by Affidavit-Right to Offset Loan
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
We have a situation where we have a deceased account holder who had a sole-owned savings account and a car loan.
A family member of the deceased is presenting the bank with a transfer by affidavit to be able to access the funds from the savings account. We are unaware if the family member knows that the loan exists.
My thoughts are that due to the transfer by affidavit, there will be no estate. How are we going to get our loan paid if there is no estate to compel to pay? Are we allowed in this instance to offset the balance of the loan with the savings account?

Return to Top
#2058882 - 01/15/16 02:57 PM Re: Transfer by Affidavit-Right to Offset Loan Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
bump

Return to Top
#2058887 - 01/15/16 03:12 PM Re: Transfer by Affidavit-Right to Offset Loan Bec
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I'd be running that either by WBA Legal or your attorneys before making any move.

Return to Top
#2059160 - 01/16/16 10:03 PM Re: Transfer by Affidavit-Right to Offset Loan Bec
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not an attorney, but the affidavit includes:

By accepting the decedent’s property under this section, I assume a duty to apply the property transferred for the
payment of obligations according to priorities established under §859.25, Wisconsin Statutes, and to distribute any
balance to those persons designated in the appropriate governing instrument, as defined in §854.01, Wisconsin
Statutes, or if there is no governing instrument, according to the rules of intestate succession under ch. 852,
Wisconsin Statutes.

So tell them of the obligation. There is no privacy issue. If they don't pay the obligation, then the bank can sue them. They have to act no different that a court appointed trustee of an official estate.

Return to Top
#2059641 - 01/20/16 11:20 PM Re: Transfer by Affidavit-Right to Offset Loan Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Thank you both for your responses. Much appreciated!

Return to Top