Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2058907 - 01/15/16 04:12 PM Appraisal and Flood Determination Discrepancy
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
The appraisal states property is in flood zone and the Flood Determination says No. This is 117 AG land with a movable cabin. There is a creek that runs through the land and according to the appraiser's map part of the land is in a flood zone. Anyway I told the LO that this should be resolved. The LO is wanting to know what regulations says this needs to be addressed. Can someone please help me with this.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2058957 - 01/15/16 05:31 PM Re: Appraisal and Flood Determination Discrepancy Patricia
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Per the flood requirements, you aren't required to have flood info on the appraisal, but since it has conflicting info, it would cause me to dig deeper - like you've done. Here's what I would tell the loan officer:

"The regulation requires us to complete a SFHDF. The Flood Insurance Act says that if we outsource this we are still responsible for the accuracy. The appraisal indicates our outsourced SFHDF may not be accurate. Therefore, we should have it verified."

I would send the appraisal info to the flood vendor and ask them to re-verify their determination.

Return to Top
#2058965 - 01/15/16 05:37 PM Re: Appraisal and Flood Determination Discrepancy Patricia
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Movable cabin?? This isn't a flood issue unless you are taking the cabin as collateral and then they could no longer move it around in the flood zone. Having a movable cabin in a flood zone would be a violation of flood plain ordinances.

Return to Top
#2059002 - 01/15/16 06:17 PM Re: Appraisal and Flood Determination Discrepancy Patricia
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
Thanks David and rlcarey.

Return to Top
#2059118 - 01/15/16 10:13 PM Re: Appraisal and Flood Determination Discrepancy Patricia
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
We see similar situations all the time where a portion of the land is in a flood zone (which causes the appraiser to say the property is in a flood zone), but the building isn't in a flood zone, and that is causing the discrepancy between the appraisal and SFHDF.

Return to Top