BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2055719 - 12/24/15 04:24 PM Impact of MLA final rule
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
I am attempting to look at all the possible impacts to address with regard to the MLA revisions. Here are the items of focus I have identified. Kind of a task plan to implementation.

1) Determine what loan products the Bank offers that are now covered by the rule.
2) Determine how to identify covered borrowers prior to origination.
Could a question be added to the application process for the applicant to self identify?
Or do you check all applicants on the DOD database?
Or do we rely on CRAs and use the credit report? (this seems like the easiest, but are the CRAs going to be accurate?)
3) Determine how to provide the written and oral disclosure to covered borrowers prior to origination.
Provide notice to all applicants, eliminate the risk of missing a covered borrower?
Do we set up a 1-800#?
3) Determine how to calculate the MAPR on closed-end loans.
Set up loan limits and fee schedules that would eliminate the possibility of reaching the 36% limit?
4) Determine how to monitor the MAPR for open-end loans for each billing cycle.
Concerned about overdraft lines of credit that have transaction fees and possible low balances.
5) Determine when to drop the MLA protections on an open-end loan when the borrower is no longer active duty.

Just throwing this out there...any opinions and ideas are welcome. Thanks!!

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2058081 - 01/12/16 05:10 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
Can there not be a 1-800 # for this verbal disclosure that is industry wide? Why make each Bank set up a # when the model disclosure is a general statement?

Return to Top
#2059124 - 01/15/16 10:25 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Could a question be added to the application process for the applicant to self identify

I haven't read the final rule in quite some time, but I thought I remembered something that said you would not fall under the safe harbor if you allowed them to self-identify. It had to come from their database or a credit reporting agency (I don't think they have either of these figured out yet either). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Return to Top
#2059296 - 01/19/16 05:45 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
That is correct. We can no longer rely on the self identifying statement. Safe harbor will only exist if you use either the database or a credit reporting agency and retain the documentation of that search.
My question is will the dependents also have their information on the database and credit reports? I would assume they would or how would we identify them and have safe harbor?
I keep trying to get ahead of this, but I feel like every time I look at it, I end up with more questions than answers!

Return to Top
#2059325 - 01/19/16 07:39 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
From what I understood they would be included. However, I don't think they have the databases set up yet, so it is very hard to tell how that is going to work.

Return to Top
#2059461 - 01/20/16 03:51 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
Did anyone else see this? I am mot sure what they mean by "direct access".

MILITARY BANKING
Feb. 1 Is Deadline for Military Lending Database Access
The new Military Lending Act regulations -- which require that banks determine military status for applicants applying for consumer credit that is not a mortgage or purchase money loan -- provide a compliance safe harbor for lenders who verify military status through the Department of Defense database or a nationwide credit bureau.

Methods covered in the safe harbor include checking with the Pentagon’s Defense Manpower Data Center database through its website, which will allow single or batched MLA verification requests with a 24-hour turnaround or -- for a quicker response -- directly accessing the DMDC database. However, because of limited resources, the DoD will initially determine which creditors have direct access based on creditors’ volume.

As a result, by Monday, Feb. 1, bankers must email dodhr.dodc-mb.dmdc.mbx.mla@mail.mil and advise DoD that the bank is interested in direct access to the DMDC database to determine military status for purposes of MLA compliance.

Lenders may also receive safe harbor protection through obtaining credit reports. The credit bureaus have reported that the information will be an “add-on” to credit reports, and it is expected there will be a charge for the information. Read ABA’s staff analysis on the rule changes. For more information, contact ABA’s Nessa Feddis.

Return to Top
#2059463 - 01/20/16 03:55 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
From what I understand from that "direct access" means signing into the database and running the scrub yourself via a single lookup or a batch file depending on how many people you are searching. If you did not sign up for this, your only other option under the safe harbor would be to get this added to the credit report.

Return to Top
#2059509 - 01/20/16 05:07 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
Thanks for responding bcompliance. I just cant grasp how this site will no longer be available for anyone to use? I know a lot of Bank's use this for SCRA monitoring as well. I can't believe they would limit the access to this resource.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/scra/single_record.xhtml

Return to Top
#2059515 - 01/20/16 05:14 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
I'm not sure how to grasp that either because as you said, a lot of people use that for SCRA.

My question is: are they setting up a new database for the MLA stuff or restricting access to the link you provided because of the increase in activity they will see on the site?

Return to Top
#2059525 - 01/20/16 05:27 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
JPJ Offline
Iowa
I'm exploring implementation alternatives and wondering if we could simplify our process by treating all borrowers the same, similar to the way we send the SCRA late payment notice to all mortgage borrowers. It appears we are not required to conduct a covered-borrower check (except to obtain the optional safe harbor) and we are ultimately trying to provide the MLA disclosure and MAPR cap to covered borrowers. What if we adjusted rates/fees and provided the MLA disclosure on all covered loan products, whether individual borrowers were covered or not? Are we prohibited from doing so? Would there be a downside?

The model disclosure language looks general enough to use for all borrowers:

Federal law provides important protections to members of the Armed Forces and their dependents relating to extensions of consumer credit. In general, the cost of consumer credit to a member of the Armed Forces and his or her dependent may not exceed an annual percentage rate of 36 percent. This rate must include, as applicable to the credit transaction or account: The costs associated with credit insurance premiums; fees for ancillary products sold in connection with the credit transaction; any application fee charged (other than certain application fees for specified credit transactions or accounts); and any participation fee charged (other than certain participation fees for a credit card account).

Return to Top
#2059539 - 01/20/16 06:02 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
waterdog Offline
We just called our third party that we order credit reports through and also Equifax. Neither company is offering an "add-on" feature to the credit reports. Neither of the customer services reps acted like this was going to be any sort of option. One told us that it would be up to the military person to add it and it would be in the comments section just like a fraud alert. Has anyone gotten a different answer?

Return to Top
#2059542 - 01/20/16 06:11 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule JPJ
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
Originally Posted By JPJ
What if we adjusted rates/fees and provided the MLA disclosure on all covered loan products, whether individual borrowers were covered or not? Are we prohibited from doing so? Would there be a downside?[/i]

That is what we have been discussing as well. I think adding the disclosure on all our covered loan products and structuring our products to never trip the MAPR limit is the way to go. It would be an operational nightmare to monitor all of this. I just want to make sure I am not missing something by trying to simplify the process. smile

Return to Top
#2059550 - 01/20/16 06:23 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
I know that Transunion is in the process of adding something to their reports.

Page 3: https://www.transunion.com/resources/tra...tive-Update.pdf

I am also hoping that we can just add disclosures to all covered products. But I also want to have procedures in place in the event that the MAPR max is reached. We are working with our LOS to have the MAPR calculated so it can be watched.

Return to Top
#2059783 - 01/21/16 05:51 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Can someone help me out on the oral disclosure part? It is my understanding, after about 12 readings, that we can provide the information orally to covered members OR include a 1-800# in the written disclosures.

So are most of you just going to add the 1-800# to the written model disclosure? I think I would feel better having them call the number rather than relying on staff to give the oral disclosures. If so, what are you putting on it? Just a recording that reads the model statement? I am hoping that would be sufficient... That wouldn't be too hard to set up an extension that went to that recording and then give them the option to press 0 to get to an operator after listening to the full recording.

I am probably getting ahead of myself, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around this 1-800# part!

And I agree Jade, why can't they just establish ONE number with the disclosures for us all?!

Return to Top
#2060972 - 01/28/16 04:43 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
I think the 1-800# is the way to go. Does anyone see any reasons not to disclose the model language and 1800# on all our covered loan products? If this was provided in the closing packet, that would meet the delivery requirements to provide before or at the time the covered borrower becomes obligated.
Is anyone else planning on doing this?

Return to Top
#2071386 - 03/29/16 05:23 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
I'd like to bring this thread back to life...

Am I reading the MLA right that we don't actually have to disclose to the borrower the numerical MAPR as long as we are providing the model statement wording?

Since this doesn't apply to commercial loans, residential RE loans, HELOC's, car purchase loans, there are only a few loan types we do that this "could" apply at my bank.

Return to Top
#2071441 - 03/29/16 06:34 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Am I reading the MLA right that we don't actually have to disclose to the borrower the numerical MAPR as long as we are providing the model statement wording?

That was my thought also but I can't say I've 100% convinced myself that is true.

Return to Top
#2071459 - 03/29/16 07:17 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
I've read it multiple times today and that's what I'm coming up with but maybe I need to let it sit for a couple days and come back to it.

Return to Top
#2073202 - 04/08/16 08:55 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
Just FYI, I got this today from the MLA helpdesk. With the CRA not able to do what the law requires and now the DOD saying they won't grant my institution access -- for the 1 maybe 2 loans I have on this -- I won't have a safe harbor. So frustrating.

Thank you for reaching out to DMDC regarding your interest in the direct connection capability of our MLA database. Unfortunately, DMDC's limited direct connection capacity does not allow us to move forward with a direct connection with your organization at this time. We will retain record of your organization's interest should our capacities change so that you may be reconsidered in the future if this capability is expanded.

In the meantime, you may continue to use the MLA Website at https://mla.dmdc.osd.mil to verify the covered borrower status of individuals. The website is capable of providing an instantaneous response for an inquiry on a single individual and allows you to run batches of up to 250,000 individuals with results usually within 24 hours.

Should you experience any problems with the website, or have any further inquiries about MLA, please reach out to us at dodhra.dodc-mb.dmdc.mbx.mla@mail.mil and our help desk will be happy to assist you. Thank you for your interest.

Regards,

MLA Helpdesk

Return to Top
#2073281 - 04/11/16 01:29 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
I think you can still access the website and pull checks to have safe harbor. It would be just like SCRA checks except you are using the MLA site. I believe the "direct access" is for a direct connection to the DOD database....maybe the really large FIs will get this, or maybe vendors that would serve multiple FIs.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this was my understanding.

Return to Top
#2073282 - 04/11/16 01:29 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
Also, I go the "no access" email as well.

Return to Top
#2073292 - 04/11/16 01:54 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
I received the same email. I was expecting it.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2073314 - 04/11/16 02:30 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
We're a military bank and got the same email. Our President followed up with his DOD contact - over 3,400 banks requested direct access. They plan to add more banks but it will take time
Last edited by HMS Pippii; 04/11/16 02:31 PM.

Return to Top
#2076116 - 04/28/16 02:03 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Extremely basic question that i cannot seem to locate (i want to say it's October from memory): what date does the new MLA go in effect?

ETA: Found it...October 3.
Last edited by raitchjay; 04/28/16 02:14 PM.

Return to Top
#2076204 - 04/28/16 06:23 PM Re: Impact of MLA final rule Jade'sFire
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Moving on..........so let's say after October 3rd, 2016, you have a covered loan to a covered borrower, and the 36% MAPR ceiling is in play. Credit life would be a huge factor in possibly exceeding that 36% ceiling. Is it a problem then to simply not offer credit life to the covered borrower for that type of loan (while still offering it to others who aren't covered borrowers for the same loan type)?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z