Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2059292 - 01/19/16 05:37 PM Email for DMDC Direct Capability
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Had an article from CUNA today (http://news.cuna.org/articles/109133) that said if your financial institution wants to use the DMDC database to identify covered members, you would need to send an email to the MLA help desk by February 1st. We tried to send the email to the listed email (dodhra.dodc-mb.dmdc.mbx.mla@mail.mil) and got the email returned saying that the delivery had failed.

I reached out to CUNA to double check the email address, but in the mean time was wondering if anyone else had tried this or had even heard of this...?

Many thanks!

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2059655 - 01/21/16 12:13 AM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Any luck on this?

Return to Top
#2059689 - 01/21/16 02:25 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
ComplyGuy Offline
Gold Star
Got an email from ABA this morning saying the same thing, but saying that the email that the DOD gave yesterday had a typo. BOL sent out an email on it this morning with what looks like the same address you put in your post.

On a related note, it says they will only be granting access to select institutions. Institutions that don't get access can still get info from the DMDC, but it will have a 24 hour turnaround.

Return to Top
#2059702 - 01/21/16 02:59 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The address in our Briefing this morning is the one sent out by Nessa Feddis of the ABA today as a correction.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2059760 - 01/21/16 04:40 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
I received an email back from CUNA with the corrected email of: dodhra.dodc-mb.dmdc.mbx.mla@mail.mil

To me it looks the exact same, but we sent an email to that and it was not returned. I have not yet heard if there was any response.

Just curious, is there a link to the ABA email/article? I would be interested in reading it.
Last edited by CULady; 01/21/16 04:41 PM. Reason: Too early for for proper grammar...
Return to Top
#2059811 - 01/21/16 07:01 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability John Burnett
SallyGirl Offline
Trying to decide whether to "sign-up" for direct access to the DMDC database before Feb. 1 or use the Military Lending Act website that is open to the public (no login required) for single record requests. We currently use the public site for SCRA. I understand there will be a 24-hour turn around when using the public site. My concern is how to determine covered borrower status for a parent or parent-in-law and still get the safe harbor if CRAs don't work something out with the DOD.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Return to Top
#2059858 - 01/21/16 09:16 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability SallyGirl
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Originally Posted By SallyGirl
My concern is how to determine covered borrower status for a parent or parent-in-law and still get the safe harbor if CRAs don't work something out with the DOD.

Parent or in laws? As a general rule, they would not be a covered borrower. It is just the military member and their dependents. Dependents include spouse and children. The only way they would be covered is if the military member is supporting them and then they could be considered a dependent. The military has records of everyone considered a dependent under each military member.

And to achieve safe harbor it says we have to check the DCDM or the credit report. That to me says that the credit reporting agencies and the DCDM will be up to speed with the MLA by 10/3/16.

Return to Top
#2059867 - 01/21/16 09:40 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
ComplyGuy Offline
Gold Star
Last I heard is that credit reporting agencies will be ready, but there will be an extra cost associated.

Return to Top
#2060552 - 01/26/16 05:10 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
rachelchri Offline
100 Club
Is there a fee associated with getting direct access to the database? Also, would each individual loan officer have to e-mail the address provided, or a single contact within the Bank?

Return to Top
#2060557 - 01/26/16 05:28 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
I haven't seen anything about a fee from the DMDC.

From what I can tell, just one email from the bank.

We got an email back from them and they have a questionnaire that we need to fill out and send back. I think they are just gathering information to see how many people want access and how many records each institution will be requesting per day. I don't know that they have figured out how this will all work yet either.

Return to Top
#2060561 - 01/26/16 05:33 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
rachelchri Offline
100 Club
Thank you CULady for the quick response!

Return to Top
#2060898 - 01/27/16 10:59 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
This is from the email I got when I got the questionnaire email referenced from CULady...
So, maybe the right hand doesn't know what the left hand has planned for Oct this year???? #confused

https://mla.dmdc.osd.mil

The MLA Website, available right now, allows users to conduct a covered borrower check either on a single individual in real time, or on a number of individuals using a batch process. You can conduct a covered borrower check on a single individual by inputting a name, date of birth, and Social Security Number. This Single Record Request gives an immediate response, and no registration is necessary to perform a covered borrower check on a single individual.

The MLA Website also allows users to perform batch checks for MLA covered borrowers. Users can self-register an account with the MLA Website's Multiple Record Request capability, which can be used to perform covered borrower checks in batches of up to 250,000 individuals at a time. Users may submit up to 50 such batches per day for a total search capability of up to 12.5 million individuals each day. Multiple Record Requests are processed within 24 hours, and usually much faster.

Please see the MLA Website's Users Guide, available at the website, for more information on how to conduct a Single Record Request or Multiple Record Request, and look for more information on DMDC's direct connection capability for performing MLA covered borrower checks from this e-mail address soon.

Return to Top
#2060938 - 01/28/16 03:25 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
Has anyone else gone to the link that is provided in step 2? I went to this webpage to see if it would help me understand the "direct access" and now I just have more questions. Is this process all about having a more secure way of receiving these certificates? (I wish they would just spell this out at a 5th grade level for me smile Ha!!)

Thank you for contacting the DMDC MLA Help Desk. This message serves as confirmation of your interest in using DMDC's direct connection interface for performing covered borrower checks against DMDC's MLA database. Please take these preliminary steps:

1. Please fill out the attached questionnaire so that DMDC can get an idea of how you will use the direct connection. Once completed, please reply to this e-mail and attach the completed questionnaire. DMDC will prioritize your request to use the direct connection once we receive your completed questionnaire.
2. Please read about the process of obtaining a DoD-approved certificate using the External Certification Authority Program (http://iase.disa.mil/pki/eca/Pages/index.aspx).

Return to Top
#2061479 - 02/01/16 03:51 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Return to Top
#2061538 - 02/01/16 06:30 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
rachelchri Offline
100 Club
What is the turnaround time for a response? I e-mailed them last tuesday and haven't heard back yet. Just wondering what everyone else experienced.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2061541 - 02/01/16 06:37 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
We sent ours on 1/19 and we heard back by 1/25. But they might be experiencing a higher volume the closer they got to the first deadline of 2/1.

Return to Top
#2061784 - 02/02/16 03:23 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
okcowgirl Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
I went to the alternate DMDC's MLA website (https://mla.dmdc.osd.mil) to do a check and the result was immediate.

Will someone please explain the advantage to signing up for the direct access to the DMDC database before Feb. 15 verses using the alternate Military Lending Act website that is open to the public (no login required) for single record requests. Trying to get the pro's and con's.

Return to Top
#2061806 - 02/02/16 04:08 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
My only thought is that they expect the (https://mla.dmdc.osd.mil) website to not be able to handle the increase in request. That is why they are asking for Banks to obtain the DOD-approved certificate using the External Certification Authority Program (http://iase.disa.mil/pki/eca/Pages/index.aspx)

Return to Top
#2061811 - 02/02/16 04:22 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Agree with Jade. The number of covered borrowers and covered loans are both increasing so I'm betting the MLA website would not be able to handle the traffic. Also because of who the covered borrowers are i.e. wider definition of dependents, I personally think the DMDC must be querying a database from the military that lists ALL dependents, like the DEERS system.

Return to Top
#2061813 - 02/02/16 04:26 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
So, let me see if i understand this (bear with me): the website that is good and quick will be overloaded come October, so they want us to sign up for the other website that can handle more traffic. But not every bank that applies for access to that website will be granted access (i just filled out their questionnaire which wanted to know how many customers we have, how many times we anticipate using it, etc.); so some banks (smaller banks i'd guess) will be shut out of the new website, and be stuck using a website that may not work because it's overloaded with requests?

Return to Top
#2061815 - 02/02/16 04:34 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
Has anyone heard if the DOD will grant direct access to vendors? Making this an automated function within your loan application system. That would help some of the smaller lending institutions, if they cant qualify for direct access.

Return to Top
#2061820 - 02/02/16 04:40 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I think there are so many issues (bugs) to work out, while I'm not counting on a delay, it wouldn't surprise me! It's ridiculous to deny access to safe harbor to some banks based on customer base.

Return to Top
#2061862 - 02/02/16 06:36 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
I think one of the advantages for the DMDC is being able to do batches and get an immediate result, unlike the MLA website where you can do batch reports, but it can be a 24 hour delay. Not sure yet of course, but that was my interpretation.

Jade - I am not sure if they will allow vendors access, but that sure would be nice to have it tie into your loan operating system!

Return to Top
#2061909 - 02/02/16 07:47 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability Jade'sFire
ccman Offline
Platinum Poster
Jade, I fired off a request and got an immediate response to complete the short questionnaire and 2nd read about the ECAP.
I attempted to access the alternative site, mla.dmc.osd.mil and got a security message!

Since I am not the IT guy, should we forward the email response back to IT to gain access to the ECAP?

We are a small rural lender and have very few, if any, military personnel loans. I am sure we will not meet the volume they
are looking for using the direct connection. The MLA just adds another layer to the onion unnecessarily. thanks.

Return to Top
#2062084 - 02/03/16 04:03 PM Re: Email for DMDC Direct Capability CULady
Farm Girl Offline
Missouri
We also are a small rural bank but I did ask for the direct connection to the website. I got the same email/response Always In Training received and then I was really confused. I contacted the MLA Helpdesk and asked exactly what the benefit was of using the DMDC's direct connection versus using the DMDC's MLA website. I told them we were a small bank and would not have many requests per day. I told them it was my understand that both websites provide an immediate response and both provide a response that is current for that day. This is the response I received:

The direct connection will be a web service for server-to-server requests for MLA status. More details on the technical details of the web service will be available as it becomes ready for use. DMDC anticipates this will be some time in the spring of 2016. Primarily it is intended to allow the financial institution to run larger batches of requests with a much shorter turnaround time and without the need to go through the present website.

I then asked this question: So if we just go to the MLA website and enter each applicant separately, will we get the exact same response from that website that we would get if we used the direct connection website? The response back from them was "That is accurate".

Therefore, I'm thinking my bank doesn't even need to bother requesting the direct connection because it appears to be for the use of large banks to run batches of requests and get a quicker response.

Does anyone else have any different thoughts?? Thank you in advance

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z