Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2063106 - 02/08/16 07:52 PM Denying a low inome property
Dodge Offline
Gold Star
A person applied to purchase a rent house in a low income tract. The appraisal came back stating the house is in "poor condition". The bank would like to deny the loan due to poor condition of the property and the applicant, at this moment in time, does not plan on improving it. The applicant does qualify base on repayment ability and the property does have value.

Would this be consider a red flag in fair lending for denying a loan in a low income tract; even though, the reason for the denial is based on the house is in poor condition?

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2063122 - 02/08/16 08:25 PM Re: Denying a low inome property Dodge
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
It might be a red flag if looked at but if you properly document the property was in disrepair and in unacceptable condition you'll be able to turn the flag green and go on the next lap.

Return to Top
#2063137 - 02/08/16 08:46 PM Re: Denying a low inome property Dodge
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Fair lending does not mean making bad loans, it means treating all people fairly. .

I agree with Dan. Document it like any other loan and make sure you would do the same to similarly situated properties/applicants, etc. in other areas

Return to Top
#2063184 - 02/08/16 10:52 PM Re: Denying a low inome property Dodge
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You didn't say what the property appraised for in relationship to the loan requested. What does your underwriting policy specifically say about property condition?? You might be able to say the same thing for every other house in the neighborhood. That is just a way to mask redlining.

Return to Top