Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2063407 - 02/09/16 10:48 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
If I stopped going to businesses that have offended me I would just sell my car and stay home.
It is no longer shocking to not be served or talked down to when people see a Chinese person in their store.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2063437 - 02/10/16 01:44 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Windstream (phone/internet provider). Hands down. They are the ONLY provider available in the area where we live, and their attitude about rural areas seems to be, "You chose to live out there - suck it up and deal with the shoddy service and outtages." Sadly, we aren't even that far "out," and there are a couple of fairly expensive subdivisions within a mile or 3 of us. I'm told they get to pick between 2-3 service providers and don't have the same issues our little area is plagued with.

Return to Top
#2063453 - 02/10/16 02:30 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Buddy the Elf
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By Justin Case
Originally Posted By noelekal
Chili's and other chain restaurants of that ilk.

The din is unbearable.

Who in the world ever determined that hard dining room surfaces coupled with loud music and louder dining patrons, all competing with the loud music, makes for a pleasant dining experience? LIfe's too short to spend the dining dollars in any such place.

Agreed 100%. We don't have Chili's though. We have Applebee's.

An Applebee's was situated next door to a bank where I was previously employed. Seems like all business meetings and staff lunches ended up there. What a particular flavor of "yuck" that was! All the din of Chili's with menu items that were obviously glorified TV dinners. I don't miss the frequent dining there at all!

Return to Top
#2063460 - 02/10/16 02:53 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Its tough when you have limited options for services such as utilities, cable and internet providers, etc.

Return to Top
#2063462 - 02/10/16 02:56 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? RR Becca
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Originally Posted By RR Becca
Windstream (phone/internet provider). Hands down. They are the ONLY provider available in the area where we live, and their attitude about rural areas seems to be, "You chose to live out there - suck it up and deal with the shoddy service and outtages." Sadly, we aren't even that far "out," and there are a couple of fairly expensive subdivisions within a mile or 3 of us. I'm told they get to pick between 2-3 service providers and don't have the same issues our little area is plagued with.

They're our only option for telephone service too. We don't have them for internet but our ONLY internet option is horrible. It's so bad that most of the time I can't even watch You Tube without it buffering forever. Not only is the service really poor, I pay quite a bit. I get that I live in the middle of nowhere but I should still be able to use the internet on a regular basis!

Return to Top
#2063471 - 02/10/16 03:25 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
Darn Regs Offline
In my own little world
Cheddars (not so) Casual Café...
Here was our experience at Cheddars:
Us: (food arrives) We need place settings please
Waiter: I'm sorry, we're all out of forks, knives and spoons
Us: Well we can't eat with our fingers, please go find some/wash some/borrow them from the restaurant next door
Waiter: I'll send my manager over
15 minutes later
Manager: I see you got place settings
Us: Yes, the table next to us so kindly gave us theirs, now leaving them with no place settings. Apparently you're all out of forks, knives and spoons...and by the way, we will not be paying for any of this food. You may leave now.

Cheddars filed for bankruptcy very shortly thereafter.

Return to Top
#2063475 - 02/10/16 03:39 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Darn Regs
SociallyInept Offline
New Poster
SociallyInept
Somewhere out there.
Originally Posted By Darn Regs
...and by the way, we will not be paying for any of this food. You may leave now.

How much food did you order?!?! shocked
-Demetri Martin

Return to Top
#2063487 - 02/10/16 03:54 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? SociallyInept
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By SociallyInept
Originally Posted By Darn Regs
...and by the way, we will not be paying for any of this food. You may leave now.

How much food did you order?!?! shocked

Hah ... hah ... hah ... hah ... !!!

Return to Top
#2063501 - 02/10/16 04:24 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The Cheddars here is a well run affordable place for lunch and dinner. The only problem is getting in because it is a favorite of the college students. I like the Cajun pasta with chicken and sausage.

Return to Top
#2063520 - 02/10/16 04:52 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
The Applebees and Cheddars here are very favorable and well liked.

You always have to wait since they are always packed. Cannot complain about the food, yet to get a bad meal at either of them.

Yeah, they are "bar like" in that they are loud, but that is what I expect going into a "bar like" restaurant.

I miss a restaurant that failed here years ago. it was called "High Marks". It had three types of dining experience.

The Library (Fine Dining)
The Locker Room (The Bar Experience)
The Class Room (Casual Dining)

But back to get back on topic...

Local Honda Dealer, they treat my wife like she is 2nd class moron, talk down to her, etc. They are stereo typical "Male chauvinist Garage Mechanics" mad

Return to Top
#2063527 - 02/10/16 05:10 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? SociallyInept
Darn Regs Offline
In my own little world
Don't know, we never received a bill...enough to make them go under

After telling our story to their corporate headquarters we did receive $50 in food coupons which we promptly used...the day before they filed for bankruptcy and closed the local restaurant. Talk about timing

Return to Top
#2063529 - 02/10/16 05:13 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
wow, unusual for a Honda dealer...talk to the GM, that will get fixed PDQ

Return to Top
#2063550 - 02/10/16 05:47 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I don't know how Lenny's or Denny's, whatever the name, stays in business. The service is consistently very slow and the food is mediocre.

Return to Top
#2063555 - 02/10/16 05:56 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
Iowa Compliance Gal Offline
Iowa
I agree about Honda....our local dealer here is the same way. Treats me like I have no clue about my car and am just plain stupid every time go in there which I avoid at all costs. When I do call them to the mat about something they have brought up regarding my car they get all defensive. Unfortunately I had a recall on my air bags that only they could fix, got in and got out as fast as possible!

Return to Top
#2063559 - 02/10/16 06:04 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
next time in state

my father was a mechanic. His father was a mechanic. My mother's father was a mechanic. My three brothers are mechanics. Four uncles on my father's side are mechanics

CAMS

Return to Top
#2063561 - 02/10/16 06:05 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Pale Rider
Bottle Caps Offline
New Poster
Originally Posted By Pale Rider
I don't know how Lenny's or Denny's, whatever the name, stays in business. The service is consistently very slow and the food is mediocre.

It's (relatively) cheap and open 24/7. Very popular (in my area) with the night crowd, drunk club-goers, college students, etc. I used to be a huge fan of it back when I still fit into one of those demographics. I haven't been there in a good four or five years or so though.

Return to Top
#2063630 - 02/10/16 07:48 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
#ONENANA Offline
New Poster
Texas Girl
Only four or five years out of that demographic cry cry cry I am so old

Return to Top
#2063641 - 02/10/16 07:56 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I've heard that the customer service in our Compliance Department is sub-par. But then again, that's probably coming from a big-ol'-whinebag.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2063790 - 02/11/16 02:31 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we have no Denny's in our area, waffle house is the go to late nite for drunks option

Return to Top
#2063798 - 02/11/16 02:39 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
we have no Denny's in our area, waffle house is the go to late nite for drunks option

In New Orleans people go out sober?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2063809 - 02/11/16 03:01 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? edAudit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
laugh

Return to Top
#2063811 - 02/11/16 03:08 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The Denny's here closed last year; however we do have a Waffle House.

Return to Top
#2064070 - 02/12/16 03:55 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? edAudit
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By edAudit
next time in state

my father was a mechanic. His father was a mechanic. My mother's father was a mechanic. My three brothers are mechanics. Four uncles on my father's side are mechanics. And I am the Master Mechanic who owns the business.

Fixed. smirk

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2064524 - 02/16/16 08:57 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I won't go to the Shop n Save grocery anymore. I bought a cartload of groceries before Christmas that included two bottles of Bailey's. The clerk charged me for three. I went back to the store to get a refund, and they said no. But they did wish me Happy Holidays.

I went home, logged on to my AmEx account and filed a Reg E claim. I had my money back the next day. Sometimes it pays to know a thing or two about regulations.

Return to Top
#2064526 - 02/16/16 09:05 PM Re: Businesses you really don't want to patronize? Elwood P. Dowd
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
smile!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3