Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2067177 - 03/02/16 08:28 PM Metal Storage Building
Live&Learn Offline
100 Club
Live&Learn
South
We have a loan to add a metal storage building to the property which a dwelling is located.

Technically I think it could be disassembled and taken or could be left there if they ever sold the property.

Would this be considered HMDA home improvement?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2067190 - 03/02/16 08:57 PM Re: Metal Storage Building Live&Learn
Ski Offline
Platinum Poster
South Louisiana
If the borrower is putting down a slab that the metal building will then be attached to, I would consider reporting it as home improvement. Is it just one that you can buy at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and they deliver it to your property?

The more permanent the improvement, the more inclined to report. (Like A/C unit vs. window unit)

Return to Top
#2067203 - 03/02/16 09:45 PM Re: Metal Storage Building Live&Learn
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
What Ski is trying to address is "real property" vs. "personal property". If I borrow money to buy a swimming pool that can be folded up and moved to my next residence, it's personal property. If it's cement and in the ground, it's real property. Real property improvements meet the definition of "home improvement" for HMDA.

Just because something can be disassembled and taken doesn't mean it's not real property. This is where HMDA is known for putting round pegs in square holes. You need to determine if the shed is real property or personal property. When you do, document why/why not and move on.

Return to Top
#2067515 - 03/04/16 02:38 PM Re: Metal Storage Building Live&Learn
Live&Learn Offline
100 Club
Live&Learn
South
Makes sense, thank you.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM