Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#206923 - 07/08/04 07:59 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

I'm no longer Christian,

What do you mean?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#206924 - 07/08/04 08:34 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Ohh, I am glad someone else asked before I did. Why are you "no longer Christian"?

Return to Top
#206925 - 07/08/04 09:07 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

I'm no longer Christian

I'm sorry!

Return to Top
#206926 - 07/08/04 09:13 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I'm no longer Christian, but I enjoy some of the "crossover" bands that hit the airwaves from time to time.

I understand you may feel you are no longer Christian, however, if the message of the music still tugs at your soul, in time, God willing, you will find the love of the Lord waiting for you to return.

Return to Top
#206927 - 07/08/04 09:18 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
I was baptized and confirmed Catholic; however, faith in God is something that I simply do not have. That is not to say I do not believe in God. I suppose I believe in some higher power. I just don't believe in a Christian God, for many complicated reasons.

That being said, I express my spirituality a different way, through Aikido, a Japanese martial art.

Return to Top
#206928 - 07/08/04 09:41 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I was baptized and confirmed Catholic; however, faith in God is something that I simply do not have. That is not to say I do not believe in God. I suppose I believe in some higher power. I just don't believe in a Christian God, for many complicated reasons.

That being said, I express my spirituality a different way, through Aikido, a Japanese martial art.

There are plenty of lapsed Catholics who find that other Christian denominations call to them. As long as your heart if open, God will be there for you, no matter how you express yourself.

Return to Top
#206929 - 07/08/04 09:49 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
You can tell me to mind my own business if you want to and I will respect that, but I am interested in the complicated reasons you don't believe in the Christian God.

I did a lot of searching and researching in my quest to find Jesus and understand His Grace and Salvation (it always seemed too easy for me, there had to be a catch [but there isn't]). I am always curious why someone comes to a different conclusion.

I recently finished a very good book that details the evidence for God, Jesus, and His redemption plan. It is called: I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist.

Return to Top
#206930 - 07/08/04 10:55 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

I'm no longer Christian, but I enjoy some of the "crossover" bands that hit the airwaves from time to time. I was into Jars of Clay and Sixpence None The Richer for a while. One of my favorites was a somewhat known band called Burlap to Cashmere. I worked at a club for a number of years doing sound and they came numerous times. Great group of guys and very talented. Worth checking out if you have KaZaA or another P2P filesharing system. I don't think they have CDs out anymore...

Burlap to Cashmere was a great band. I got to see them a few years ago at the Cornerstone Festival in Illinois. Some very amazing musicianship was going on that night. I heard the leader of the group, Steven Delopoulos, is out on his own now. I've not heard any of his stuff. You may be able to get some BTC songs on iTunes. Their best album was "Anybody Out There?"

I'm curious, what do you mean by "I'm no longer Christian?"

Return to Top
#206931 - 07/09/04 07:32 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

You can tell me to mind my own business if you want to and I will respect that, but I am interested in the complicated reasons you don't believe in the Christian God.

It is not an issue of “mind your own business”; however, I do not think I can appropriately express myself on this forum. There is a lot that needs to be said (feelings, background, etc.) and I simply do not feel comfortable discussing it on the forum. Religion and politics seem to be very sensitive subjects around here and I have opted to err the way of caution in relation to those two topics.

Moreover, I do not think my spiritual path is an appropriate subject in a public thread (though I am certainly not offended by your queries). That being said, if anyone wants to discuss the issue privately, they are more than welcome to send me a message. I consider myself very friendly, though I can get rather cantankerous on certain days, depending on how many times my end users call me.

Return to Top
#206932 - 07/09/04 07:38 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Burlap to Cashmere was a great band. I got to see them a few years ago at the Cornerstone Festival in Illinois. Some very amazing musicianship was going on that night.

Working with that group was an absolute privilege. I remember helping them out with sound check and each member had three acoustic guitars they brought onstage with them, each with a different sound / flavor.

They had a live album ("Live At The Bitter End") that features live versions of their songs from "Anybody Out There". If you would like them in Mp3 format, I could upload them to my webspace.

I was really hoping they would make it. I was sorry to hear the band pretty much came apart.

Return to Top
#206933 - 07/09/04 07:54 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
You are right Chi, and we respect your choice.

Return to Top
#206934 - 07/09/04 08:11 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
BankerBobby Offline
100 Club
BankerBobby
Christian music - You can't go wrong with the Primitive Quartet.. by far my favorite Gospel group!

Return to Top
#206935 - 07/12/04 02:45 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
I heard an interview on NPR a few months ago where the interviewee was arguing that churches should only use the old hymns in their services. He was basically saying that contemporary Christian music is flat on spirituality and emotion. I couldn't disagree more! Think of the raw emotion in MercyMe's "I Can Only Imagine," or Jars of Clay's "Liquid," or Third Day's "Love Song." Or what about Michael W. Smith's "This Is Your Time" about the Columbine shootings? I'm convinced God is immensely pleased when we "make joyful noise," no matter what it is.

Return to Top
#206936 - 07/12/04 02:59 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I agree, Christian music isn't flat. That person probably has never been to a Christian concert of Michael W. Smith, Mercy Me, Third Day, etc.

I know some "traditional" churches that could use a good dose of the worship that comes out of those concerts, instead of the stain glass social clubs many have become.

Return to Top
#206937 - 07/12/04 03:12 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Flat on spirituality and emotion? Wow. You left out just about every song by Chris Rice in your list. Go Light your World, Clumsy, and Untitled Hymn, just off Short Term Memories are immensely spiritual and emotional.

NPR must have just listened to one song from someone and made their analysis.

Return to Top
#206938 - 07/12/04 06:04 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
They probably listened to some praise choruses which ARE boring - they say the same thing over and over and over and over...... As a call to worship, they are fine but as music for an entire worship service - not deep enough. Give me a hymn any day over that. The church I grew up in turned into one of these mega churches that have the "follow the bouncing ball" screens for ALL songs. Hymns aren't sung much if all at during the service - it's mostly praise choruses. Not a good mix. IMHO a meaningful worship service should contain a variety of musical styles with varying depths and emotions. Have you ever read any of Marva Dawn's books on worship or heard her speak? That is an enlightening experience.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#206939 - 07/12/04 06:46 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

I heard an interview on NPR a few months ago where the interviewee was arguing that churches should only use the old hymns in their services. He was basically saying that contemporary Christian music is flat on spirituality and emotion.

Attention all posters to this thread: It came from NPR, which specializes in bringing you the finest in insomnia-curing classical music. Don't be surprised!

Return to Top
#206940 - 07/12/04 07:09 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

I heard an interview on NPR a few months ago where the interviewee was arguing that churches should only use the old hymns in their services. He was basically saying that contemporary Christian music is flat on spirituality and emotion.

Attention all posters to this thread: It came from NPR, which specializes in bringing you the finest in insomnia-curing classical music. Don't be surprised!

Good point Dawg!

Return to Top
#206941 - 07/12/04 09:36 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Compliance Mom Offline
Tennessee
Quote:

IMHO a meaningful worship service should contain a variety of musical styles with varying depths and emotions.

You are exactly right. As worship leader at my church, I usually pray for guidance before each service. HE knows exactly what needs to be sung, sometimes old fashioned hymns or stirring new choruses. I also agree with the previous comment about repetition. It can grow monotonous to the point you're just listening to yourself sing instead of focusing on HIM.....

Return to Top
#206942 - 07/12/04 10:00 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
We have 2 services every Sunday. One is tagged as a "Contemporary" service and the other a "Traditional" service. The only thing is that the ones picking out the music like all the new comtemporary songs and keep putting them in the second service. Many times, they have to print words in the bulletin since they are not in our hymnal. I personally would like to keep them either contemporary or traditional. Let the congregation decide which service they want to attend. The contemporary uses a praise type band with drums, trumpet, clarinet, etc. The traditional has piano and organ.

I personally like the traditional. But that's the way I was raised. It's keeping the foundation our church was based upon intact and our forefathers of the church had some great things to say and put it to music.

Don't get me wrong. I love contemporary music. Just not a steady dose of it during the service. In my car and at home it's great! But it reminds me more of camp and revivals. And a lot of it any more is not written for congregational singing. They have a worship leader that sings and then everyone joins in on the chorus.

Of course, since I am a musician, I like to see music not just a bunch of words on a screen trying to sing along to a song I have never heard. Give me music and I can sing it.

Return to Top
#206943 - 07/13/04 03:06 AM Re: Music for the Christian!
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

They probably listened to some praise choruses which ARE boring - they say the same thing over and over and over and over...... As a call to worship, they are fine but as music for an entire worship service - not deep enough. Give me a hymn any day over that.

I grew up with hymns too, and I love them, but more and more I've grown to love the worship songs even better.

My church has a traditional service and 2 contemporary services. They sing pretty much all hymns at the traditional and a mix (though mostly worship songs) at the contemporary.

It could just be my church or our worship leader, but I think modern day worship songs have come a long way since the days of endlessly repeating the same 4 or 5 lines. There's just nothing better to enter into true worship then songs like:
- Agnus Dei
- Breathe
- The Wonderful Cross
- You are My King (Amazing Love)
- King of Glory

Return to Top
#206944 - 07/13/04 03:18 AM Re: Music for the Christian!
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Flat on spirituality and emotion? Wow. You left out just about every song by Chris Rice in your list. Go Light your World, Clumsy, and Untitled Hymn, just off Short Term Memories are immensely spiritual and emotional.

I love Chris Rice (although I could live the rest of my life just fine without hearing the cartoon song again!)! I think he has been highly gifted.

In fact, Untitled Hymn is so beautiful, I think it deserves to have the lyrics posted:

Chris Rice - Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus)
From the album Run The Earth...Watch the Sky

Weak and wounded sinner,
Lost and left to die,
O, raise your head for Love is passing by

Come to Jesus,
Come to Jesus,
Come to Jesus and live

Now your burden's lifted,
And carried far away,
And precious blood has washed away the stain... so

Sing to Jesus ,
Sing to Jesus ,
Sing to Jesus and live

And like a newborn baby,
Don't be afraid to crawl,
And remember when you walk sometimes we fall... so

Fall on Jesus,
Fall on Jesus,
Fall on Jesus and live

Sometimes the way is lonely,
And steep and filled with pain,
So if your sky is dark and pours the rain... then

Cry to Jesus,
Cry to Jesus,
Cry to Jesus and live

O, and when the love splills over,
And music fills the night,
And when you can't contain you joy inside... then

Dance for Jesus,
Dance for Jesus,
Dance for Jesus and live

And with your final heartbeat,
Kiss the world goodbye,
Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side... and

Fly to Jesus,
Fly to Jesus,
Fly to Jesus and live

Fly to Jesus,
Fly to Jesus,
Fly to Jesus and live

Return to Top
#206945 - 07/13/04 01:02 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Quote:

It could just be my church or our worship leader,

Sadly, that is too true. Some of us are truely blessed with capable musicians with a wide range of musical taste who can lead us down paths we didn't even know existed and some have music leaders who know only one thing and get stuck in a rut. God didn't stop inspiring musicians in the 18th Century. The main thing that Marva Dawn points out in her books/talks and that is pointed out in "The Purpose Driven Life" is that worship is not designed for people. Worship is something we do for God - to give Him glory. It has nothing to do with taste or preferences. Every element of worship should fit together with the pastor's message being re-emphasized in the music. We should not limit ourself to 1 type in order to accomplish this.

For you misguided souls who were bashing classical music - be aware that Bach was a church organist who wrote the majority of his music for the honor and glory of God. How can you hear Handel's Messiah without being moved or the original version of Bethoven's Ode to Joy without soaring?

We have done both Classical and Chris Rice pieces in our worship services - in the same one. As long as it fits and supports the message it has a place in the service.

John Calvin thought that the words were more important than the actual music and he thought the only fit words to sing came from the book of Psalms. The original "presbyterian hymnal" was a Psalter written by John Calvin. When "that old-fashioned organ" was first introduced to protestant churches in the US, it caused outrage - had no place in worship. Now it is common. The psalmist tells us to worship God with instrument and voice - we need to get self out and let God in our Worship experiences.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#206946 - 07/14/04 06:24 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
Anything by Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W Smith, Avalon & Point of Grace. I like "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns as well.

Return to Top
#206947 - 07/14/04 06:50 PM Re: Music for the Christian!
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Isn't Vertical Horizon christian music? I thought I had heard somewhere that the lyrics of their songs are related to god but they made it main stream. Am I clueless??

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3