Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2070015 - 03/18/16 07:15 PM Flood Zone X - Mandatory Purchase Requirement?
MBTCompliance Offline
Gold Star
If a property is located in Flood Zone X, are we required to have the borrower obtain flood insurance prior to loan closing?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2070022 - 03/18/16 07:31 PM Re: Flood Zone X - Mandatory Purchase Requirement? MBTCompliance
Ski Offline
Platinum Poster
South Louisiana
From FEMA:

Flood hazard zones are lettered based on the level and type of flood risk:
•Zone V/VE: An area of high flood risk subject to inundation by the 1% annual-chance flood event with additional hazards due to storm-induced velocity wave action (a 3-foot or higher breaking wave).
•Zone A/AE: An area of high flood risk subject to inundation by the 1% annual-chance flood event.
•Zone AO: An area of high flood risk subject to inundation by 1% annual-chance shallow flooding where average depths are between one and three feet.
•Shaded Zone X: Areas of moderate flood risk within the 0.2% annual chance floodplain; or areas of 1% annual chance flooding where average depths are less than 1 foot, where the drainage area is less than 1 square mile, or areas protected from this flood level by a levee.
•Un-shaded Zone X: Areas of low flood risk outside the 1%- and 0.2%-annual chance floodplains.
•Zone D: Areas where flood hazards are undetermined but flooding is possible.

So, normally you would NOT require flood insurance on improved property in a Zone X.

Return to Top
#2070108 - 03/19/16 10:49 PM Re: Flood Zone X - Mandatory Purchase Requirement? MBTCompliance
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Ski is right. I'll just simplify: Only A and V zones require insurance.

Return to Top
#2247106 - 01/04/21 05:15 PM Re: Flood Zone X - Mandatory Purchase Requirement? MBTCompliance
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
If a property is in Zone D (undetermined), would you then need to obtain a definitive answer from FEMA as to whether or not flood insurance is required?

Return to Top
#2247110 - 01/04/21 05:38 PM Re: Flood Zone X - Mandatory Purchase Requirement? MBTCompliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Return to Top
#2247111 - 01/04/21 05:38 PM Re: Flood Zone X - Mandatory Purchase Requirement? MBTCompliance
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
Thank you for the reference - I really appreciate it!

Return to Top
#2247451 - 01/11/21 04:18 PM Re: Flood Zone X - Mandatory Purchase Requirement? MBTCompliance
KwC Offline
I'm working on a property located in flood zone AE, however, I received an NFIP policy that was grandfathered with flood risk/rated zone X. The current zone on the policy is left blank. Can I accept this policy as-is or should I request to have the current zone reflect zone AE? What are my options, If the insurance agent refuse to add the current flood zone? Thanks.

Return to Top
#2247456 - 01/11/21 04:39 PM Re: Flood Zone X - Mandatory Purchase Requirement? MBTCompliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
As long as it is marked as Grandfathered - I would not sweat it. If the new flood FAQs are finalized as proposed, a lender no longer has any responsibility for zone mismatches.

Return to Top