Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2068854 - 03/14/16 02:27 PM MLA and increase to line of credit
Compli Offline
Out there
We typically treat an increase to a credit card or line of credit as new credit. Would MLA apply to an increase whether or not a lender treats an increase as new credit?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2070071 - 03/18/16 10:59 PM Re: MLA and increase to line of credit Compli
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would ask, is there a new credit agreement? The spirit and intent of the MLA is to protect the borrower from certain terms and if your new agreement has or may have those terms, I would opine it does. Loans here are those covered by Reg Z, with some exceptions.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2070932 - 03/25/16 12:29 PM Re: MLA and increase to line of credit Compli
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
The MLA Regs at 32 CFR 232.6(e) stipulate that the refinancing or renewal of consumer credit requires new MLA disclosures only when the transaction for that credit would be considered a new transaction requiring disclosures under Reg Z. You can find the Reg Z rules for open-end credit at 1026.9 and for closed-end credit at 1026.20(a). The rules for open-end credit are not as clear as for closed-end. As Andy says, if you are giving them a new agreement, I would absolutely err on the side of caution and provide MLA disclosures as well if it is a covered borrower.

Return to Top
#2071832 - 03/31/16 03:39 PM Re: MLA and increase to line of credit Compli
Compli Offline
Out there
Thank you Andy and BeechFlyboy! Your responses make sense when a new agreement is required for the increase.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z