Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2072910 - 04/07/16 07:25 PM Rate on Retail Installment Contracts
J Offline
New Poster
Can someone who is more knowledgable than me assist with this question?

On Retail Installment Contracts, what is the maximum rate allowed in Georgia?
I found this text in under Retail Installment and Home Solicitation Sales-- O.C.G.A. § 10-1-3 (d)(1) that states "Notwithstanding any other law, the seller under a retail installment contract may charge, receive, and collect a time price differential, which shall not exceed 13 cent(s) per $1.00 per year on the unpaid balance."

So I assume the 13%?

Return to Top
#2077749 - 05/09/16 08:49 PM Re: Rate on Retail Installment Contracts J
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
It is my understanding that maximum permissible rate in GA depends on loan size.

§ 7-4-2. Legal rate of interest; maximum rate of interest generally; certain items not considered interest

(a) (1) (A) The legal rate of interest shall be 7 percent per annum simple interest where the rate percent is not established by written contract. Notwithstanding the provisions of other laws to the contrary, except Code Section 7-4-18, the parties may establish by written contract any rate of interest, expressed in simple interest terms as of the date of the evidence of the indebtedness, and charges and any manner of repayment, prepayment, or, subject to the provisions of paragraph (1) of subsection (b) of this Code section, acceleration, where the principal amount involved is more than $3,000.00 but less than $250,000.00 or where the lender or creditor has committed to lend, advance, or forbear with respect to any loan, advance, or forbearance to enforce the collection of more than $3,000.00 but less than $250,000.00.

(B) Where the principal amount is $250,000.00 or more, or the lender or creditor has committed to lend, advance, or forbear with respect to any loan, advance, or forbearance to enforce the collection of $250,000.00 or more, the parties may establish by written contract any rate of interest, expressed in simple interest terms or otherwise, and charges to be paid by the borrower or debtor.

(C) Nothing contained in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the computation and collection of interest at a variable rate or on a negative amortization basis or on an equity participation basis or on an appreciation basis.

(2) Where the principal amount involved is $3,000.00 or less, such rate shall not exceed 16 percent per annum simple interest on any loan, advance, or forbearance to enforce the collection of any sum of money unless the loan, advance, or forbearance to enforce the collection of any sum of money is made pursuant to another law.

(3) As used in this Code section, the term "interest" means a charge for the use of money computed over the term of the contract at the rate stated in the contract or precomputed at a stated rate on the scheduled principal balance or computed in any other way or any other form. Principal includes such charges to which the parties may agree under paragraph (1) of this subsection. Amounts paid or contracted to be paid as either an origination fee or discount points, or both, on any loan secured by an interest in real estate shall not be considered interest and shall not be taken into consideration in the calculation of interest and shall not be subject to rebate as provided in paragraph (1) of subsection (b) of this Code section.

Return to Top
#2077774 - 05/10/16 12:31 PM Re: Rate on Retail Installment Contracts J
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia

Return to Top