BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2073438 - 04/11/16 07:07 PM Re: Panama Papers Princess Romeo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
FinCEN and the US Government should get with the program. Part of Cameron's speech to Parliament today:

He said most of Britain's overseas territories, including the British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands, and Crown Dependencies, like Jersey, would now provide British law enforcement and tax agencies full access to information on beneficial ownership of companies to offer greater transparency.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2073444 - 04/11/16 07:20 PM Re: Panama Papers Princess Romeo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
since his late father is listed he may not be the appropriate person to throw stones.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2073446 - 04/11/16 07:25 PM Re: Panama Papers Princess Romeo
Lilly C Offline
100 Club
Lilly C
Sunny Florida
Why can't we get it together like the other countries can. That's what I don't get. I know American value their privacy but we seem to have issues making a decision.

Return to Top
#2073448 - 04/11/16 07:34 PM Re: Panama Papers edAudit
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By edAudit
since his late father is listed he may not be the appropriate person to throw stones.

Like I said before. Not all transactions in the Panama Papers were illegal or involved the laundering of money. Let's remember our American principles - innocent until proven guilty.

Return to Top
#2073475 - 04/11/16 08:47 PM Re: Panama Papers Princess Romeo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
While it may not be illegal it certainly is not transparent

CAMS

Return to Top
#2073496 - 04/11/16 09:42 PM Re: Panama Papers Princess Romeo
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
One reason we "can't get it together" is our rather unique federal system that reserves to the states those things the Constitution doesn't give the central government to control. The states control property ownership and the formation of corporations -- "creatures of the state." The federal government can't start imposing a whole bunch of restrictions and requirements on the states' control of corporations, LLCs, etc., without stirring up a constitutional crisis over states' rights. And that's one, IMHO, that a full SCOTUS would rule on in favor of the states. So Congress has to "man up" and find another way to get this done.

As Ken has suggested more than once, Congress could mandate that the IRS require the filing of beneficial ownership information with every annual corporate tax return (or the equivalent), and direct that the IRS make that ownership info available to law enforcement, and take the banks out of the middle on this fiasco.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2073526 - 04/12/16 12:06 PM Re: Panama Papers John Burnett
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The White House budgets for 2015, 2016, & 2017 contained a provision under which the IRS would require an EIN for all entities, foreign and domestic, and mandate the disclosure of a beneficial owner on the SS-4. Law enforcement would have access to that information. My understanding is that Senator Levin, now retired, proposed such a bill.

There is a way around the states' intransigence. However, as is the case with many other things, we lack the political will to do it.

Return to Top
#2073528 - 04/12/16 12:38 PM Re: Panama Papers Princess Romeo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
It is also more lucrative to have the banks do this unattainable task.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2073529 - 04/12/16 12:41 PM Re: Panama Papers Princess Romeo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
2 years ago

White House Blog

CAMS

Return to Top
#2073530 - 04/12/16 12:42 PM Re: Panama Papers Princess Romeo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2073763 - 04/13/16 01:11 PM Re: Panama Papers edAudit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Thank you for the link to the White House Blog. I had to dig it out from the budget itself, the original Augean Stables.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z