Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2076513 - 04/29/16 10:22 PM SAR Request
dg Offline
Platinum Poster
Pacific NW
AN FBI agent requested a copy of a SAR or SAR number on a SAR recently filed on one of our customers. Can this be given to him?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2076516 - 04/29/16 10:42 PM Re: SAR Request dg
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Once you have verified they are law enforcement then you can share the information involving the SAR. If they want additional information (statements, images etc.) just let them know you will need a subpoena

Return to Top
#2076519 - 04/29/16 10:50 PM Re: SAR Request dg
dg Offline
Platinum Poster
Pacific NW
Thank you!

Return to Top
#2076537 - 04/30/16 03:34 PM Re: SAR Request dg
Cape Codder Offline
Gold Star
I would have required the FBI agent to provide the DCN of the SAR he wants the information on.

Return to Top
#2076538 - 05/01/16 11:43 AM Re: SAR Request dg
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
AN FBI agent requested a copy of a SAR or SAR number on a SAR

I'm a little confused too...the LEA needs to give you the DCN before the conversation begins.

Return to Top
#2076594 - 05/02/16 04:18 PM Re: SAR Request Elwood P. Dowd
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By Ken_Pegasus
Quote:
AN FBI agent requested a copy of a SAR or SAR number on a SAR

I'm a little confused too...the LEA needs to give you the DCN before the conversation begins.

That sounds like a good idea Ken, do you have a cite that you could direct me to on that one?

Return to Top
#2076661 - 05/02/16 10:41 PM Re: SAR Request dg
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If they know there has been a SAR filed, they would have the DCN. It shows one of two things, they are fishing or just lazy. You don't need a citation for that.

Return to Top
#2076667 - 05/02/16 10:59 PM Re: SAR Request dg
Diamond Poster
The Country
The only reason I asked for a citation is because in the past I have disclosed information on a SAR to an LEA that I know when he called and said, "What additional details can you tell me about the SAR you files on XYZ Corp?"

I am just hoping I didn't do something wrong by not requiring the DCN.

Return to Top
#2076680 - 05/03/16 09:50 AM Re: SAR Request dg
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"What additional details can you tell me about the SAR you files on XYZ Corp?"

If it was not in the original SAR, they would need a subpoena for additional details.

Return to Top
#2076757 - 05/03/16 04:39 PM Re: SAR Request dg
Diamond Poster
The Country
Still not answering the original question but thanks anyways.

Return to Top
#2076758 - 05/03/16 04:48 PM Re: SAR Request dg
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
I've not asked for the DCN number in the past, but I did request our internal control number. Seems like good confirmation and that's how we store them.

Return to Top
#2077149 - 05/05/16 12:05 PM Re: SAR Request RockChucker, CAMS
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
No citation, but your bank's responsibilities never extend to talking to someone on the phone. Your possible responses run the gamut from 1) refusing to 2) imposing any conditions you wish.

If an individual claiming to be an LEA or regulatory agency representative calls, the bank simply needs to make some effort to make certain it knows it is talking to someone who has already seen the SAR. Some bankers also ask the caller what office of the LEA he or she is calling from then look up the number in a public listing and call them back. Under some circumstances, I would do both.

Even after I'm sure that I know the person is an LEA officer and is looking at the SAR, that does not mean we are going to have a warm exchange of information where I answer every question asked. It depends on the question... grin

Return to Top
#2077244 - 05/05/16 04:08 PM Re: SAR Request dg
Diamond Poster
The Country
Thanks Ken, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z