Thread Options
#2075310 - 04/22/16 09:11 PM U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735

CRCM

Return to Top
#2075312 - 04/22/16 09:13 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
"The question of what has driven the increases is unresolved, leaving experts to muse on the reasons."

CRCM

Return to Top
#2075348 - 04/23/16 01:15 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I had a high school friend OD this year on pain meds but they don't think she intentionally took too many.

Return to Top
#2075358 - 04/23/16 03:48 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
We have had a lot of suicides around here. Of all ages.

Some have been elderly who were diagnosed with cancer, and instead of fighting the cancer or incurring the expense to the families, have killed themselves.

Some have been kids who were on pain meds, docs took them off, so they bought heroin, and OD.

Others have been caught doing something illegal, and instead of embarrassing the family, killed themselves.

And there have been a couple depressed kids who killed themselves over ex girlfriends. (This is just stupid)

So, yes, it is definitely up in our area.

Return to Top
#2075420 - 04/25/16 02:29 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
In the past three years, I know of two guys (late 40s) who have committed suicide. One was one of the happiest guys you would ever meet, was a very successful doctor, and never showed signs of depression (to me at least). Apparently he had battled depression for quite some time according to family members. You would have never guessed.

Another guy shot himself this past week, also a successful entrepreneur.

Both had families (wives/kids) and both were discovered by a daughter.

Breaks my heart to think about what those kids must be going through. As a father and a husband, I can't wrap my head around it.
Last edited by Norman Paperman; 04/25/16 02:30 PM.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2075438 - 04/25/16 03:19 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
In a very small town near mine, there were 4 children who committed suicide in the span of about 5 weeks. The youngest was only 11. There doesn't seem to be any link. It was so devastating to the town.

I can't imagine the pain those parents and siblings must be enduring. And I cannot imagine the desperation that individual must have felt. It's such a tragedy.

What could possibly be going on to make so many people make this terrible decision to end their lives?

Return to Top
#2075450 - 04/25/16 03:43 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I am with you Norm, cannot wrap my head around it.

Return to Top
#2075648 - 04/26/16 02:28 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High DD Regs
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
My only direct exposure was with a co-worker 20 years ago. I was the personnel officer and dealt with her family whom I had never met before. I have never witnessed such emotional devastation...

Return to Top
#2075988 - 04/27/16 05:57 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
My son is active duty military and is doing 22 push ups every day for 22 days to bring attention to the fact that 22 people either active duty, retired or veterans - commit suicide a day. 22 a day! The focus is on to talk to someone and they are not alone.

Return to Top
#2076069 - 04/27/16 09:21 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
My cousin committed suicide after coming home from Viet Nam. He was the All American boy before he left. He was a completely different person when he came home. One of the uncounted casualties of war.

Return to Top
#2076100 - 04/28/16 01:07 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
My son almost committed suicide not long after returning from Iraq. Stood on a bridge for 4 hours until a friend was able to reach him, since I wasn't close enough to get there. I talked to him by phone during this time. However, in his case, he thought his SUV had a bomb in it and he truly thought jumping into the water would save his life. It would have been recorded as a suicide, I'm sure, but in reality he didn't think he would die if he jumped. I often wonder how many others have had the same thoughts. It was a long, long road to recovery. I thank God every day for saving his life.

Return to Top
#2076114 - 04/28/16 02:00 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
When I was in high school I was on the cheerleading squad and we would practice in the hallways. One day after school this guy who was a couple grades ahead of me walked by while we were practicing, he was very shy so he did not say anything and we just kept on practicing. The next when I arrived at school (way before cell phones and social media) I learned he had committed suicide the night before. I was so shocked, first because I had just seen him and it appeared everything was "normal" and it was my first experience with someone I knew taking their own life. That was 38 years ago and I remember it like yesterday. I often wonder if we had smiled and said "Hi" if that could have made a difference.

Return to Top
#2076127 - 04/28/16 02:47 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
startingover Offline
New Poster
Midwest
In a nearby community two nights ago a father took the lives of his 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son before he took his own. There are no words.

Return to Top
#2076279 - 04/28/16 09:52 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
Suicide leaves so many unanswered questions. I had a friend that was sick - cancer and he committed suicide and his family is still wondering what they could have done. Its been 3 years and I think about him often even though we had lost touch and wonder about his pain being so great he chose suicide. He was 55 at the time - my age.

Return to Top
#2076705 - 05/03/16 02:01 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My cousin committed suicide at age 18 - over a girl.

My nephews BIL took his life at age 17 - unsure why

A favorite/loved employee took his life (his young daughter, whom he adored, found him frown ) because he was embezzling...presumably to support his wife's desire to travel.

Another employee took her life (early 20's) because she thought she wasn't good enough [lovely girl]

Another employee took his life [late 20's] because he was getting a divorce

Another employee's husband took his life because he got caught cheating

I'm thinking I've missed a few...but geesh...this is surely ENOUGH! frown!!!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2076719 - 05/03/16 02:31 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
There was a local 17 year old high school boy that took his own life this past weekend. Tragic - and I've known many others, including my brother's MIL. My brother found her.

Return to Top
#2089532 - 07/22/16 06:24 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Some will never know why people decide to take their own life. Our community lost a great friend on Monday when he decided to take his own life. At only 33, he had so much more to live for and discover and will be missed by many. He was only a year ahead of me in school. Our community is in shock trying to figure out what was going on to why he would do this.

Return to Top
#2089536 - 07/22/16 06:33 PM Re: U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Norman Paperman
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Sorry for your loss ahk. Such a sad situation.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett