Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2077345 - 05/06/16 03:46 AM typical BSA roles
J_G Offline
Gold Star
I'm curious how other banks manage their personnel, particularly BSA. I know this largely depends on bank size. I'm currently at a $420ish million small bank and am the primary (basically only) person who is in charge of BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC compliance. Even though I am at a small, low risk bank, I still feel like a strong BSA/AML compliance program is a one person full time gig. Are many others doing lending compliance as well? I feel I am being pushed in that direction (no interest on my part) and that management genuinely has no idea what I do. Am I being a baby? Are you guys managing more than the BSA program? BSA, Deposits, and Operations I can completely understand.......... but lending? Maybe it's just me, but I feel that is an entirely different beast away from BSA world. Appreciate any insight into your worlds.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2077351 - 05/06/16 12:47 PM Re: typical BSA roles J_G
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
So the bank is wanting you to act as a compliance officer role covering other areas of the bank? If you are in charge of BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC for a low risk bank at the present time, I would say you have some extra time on your hands (just my opinion). If you are asking for input, I think you need to describe your job duties.

Return to Top
#2077352 - 05/06/16 12:50 PM Re: typical BSA roles J_G
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Like you said, BSA/AML staff is really bank by bank specific. Asset size, number of locations, customer mix, products offered, and current internal controls all play a part. Pushing you into lending compliance, depending on your experience is not a easy task and may take considerable resources to get you up to speed. Whether that can be accomplished with your current workload is really the question. If management doesn't have a handle on what you are currently doing, putting together a document of all current job responsibility and tasks that you perform along with the time involved and presenting it to them is probably the best place to start any negotiations.

Return to Top
#2077355 - 05/06/16 12:57 PM Re: typical BSA roles J_G
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We are a 300 million dollar bank with 6 locations and we have a BSA/AML Compliance Officer, a Deposit Compliance Officer (Me) and a Loan Compliance Officer. We all stay busy with our own jobs....

Return to Top
#2077394 - 05/06/16 02:34 PM Re: typical BSA roles J_G
Lilly C Offline
100 Club
Lilly C
Sunny Florida
We are a small community bank with 2 locations. I'm the BSA/AML department, Deposit and Loan Compliance department, Security department and audit manager. We use an outside vendor to help us with some compliance monitoring. I manage the CMS program for the bank and I am the CRA officer. I have a BSA back up that is trained on doing my BSA duties when I'm on vacation. I have a Loan Compliance champion that helps me with our loan compliance issue. I try to recruit champions from different areas to help out but I'm still accountable for the overall BSA and Compliance for the bank. I totally understand where you are coming from. I met with Senior Management and did what rlcarey suggested. Went over all my duties and responsibilities and my frustrations. Doing this helped a lot but they still would not hire additional help. I do the best the I can. Good luck.

Return to Top
#2077471 - 05/06/16 06:04 PM Re: typical BSA roles J_G
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
700MM with 8 locations and I do BSA/AML/OFAC alone. I also do the internal compliance audits including CRA and EDP IT. I am heavily involved in Deposit Operations and front line staff training. I assist with HMDA review and Real Estate loan Quality Control. I revise all our disclosures and marketing material. I am heavily involved in any branch acquisitions even to the level of computer installation and network setup. I also manage our correspondent relationships which can be a big task as we deal with large banks like WF, US Bank etc... For me it is too much to do and do it well. On the plus side I just got the bank to hire a new guy so now I don't have to manage a 90MM investment portfolio and do a good portion of the year end accounting and reconciliation. More good news is I get to retire in 27 years when I turn 62.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z