Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2076921 - 05/04/16 02:31 PM Home used to rent rooms to college students
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Would a large home near a college campus used to rent rooms to college students be still be considered a 1-4 family dwelling since is not constructed as a dormitory? The use is like a dormitory but the construction of the building is a 1-4 dwelling...

Trying to determine if ECOA appraisal disclosure and HMDA would apply.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2077359 - 05/06/16 01:04 PM Re: Home used to rent rooms to college students Likes to Comply
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Whether I rent a house in total or room by room, it does not change the characteristics of a 1-4 family dwelling. I assume this is really a house.

Return to Top
#2077376 - 05/06/16 01:35 PM Re: Home used to rent rooms to college students Likes to Comply
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Seems transitory to me. There are "dorms" on campuses these days that are actually built as quads with shared living/kitchen. Many Bed and Breakfast facilities are houses....sometimes occupied by the owners but are established businesses with a sign out front. We don't report these.

Return to Top
#2077378 - 05/06/16 01:38 PM Re: Home used to rent rooms to college students Likes to Comply
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You are correct for HMDA - they were also asking regarding the ECOA Appraisal notice which I guess I focused on..

Return to Top
#2077671 - 05/09/16 05:53 PM Re: Home used to rent rooms to college students Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Thank you both for the help smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z