Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2077006 - 05/04/16 05:51 PM Provsional credit on closed deposit accounts
MAU Offline
Reg E requires that if you are unable to resolve a dispute within 10 days of notification you are required to provide provisional credit. What should a bank do if the customer closes their account prior to providing the provisional credit?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2077018 - 05/04/16 06:42 PM Re: Provsional credit on closed deposit accounts MAU
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You still must provide the provisional credit. If the account is closed, you must either reopen it or open another account for this purpose.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2078406 - 05/12/16 06:18 PM Re: Provsional credit on closed deposit accounts John Burnett
Gotwood Offline
Platinum Poster
If I understand this correctly, a consumer can dispute an unauthorized eft from 2005, even if there account was closed in 2006. I know this is an extreme example, but relevant nonetheless.

What we are not required to follow is the timing of investigation and provisional credit requirements.

Is that correct?

Return to Top
#2078427 - 05/12/16 07:13 PM Re: Provsional credit on closed deposit accounts MAU
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Correct. And the example is no so extreme as you might think. It happens.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2078555 - 05/13/16 03:32 PM Re: Provsional credit on closed deposit accounts MAU
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
There is no statute of limitations on the claim based on when the withdrawal happened. The timeline does afford you the ability to use as much time as is needed to investigate the claim. That is, there is no provisional credit or 10 day time period hanging over you. I urge bankers to be reasonable and not drag their feet, but I can only imagine the "are you kidding me me" comments that would come from a request of old receipts and video.

Fortunately we don't see these too often.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett