Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2105801 - 11/03/16 12:35 PM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated fmissle
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Siggghhh, a bank examiner just told one of my clients: The annual notice has not been eliminated because the amendment to the regulation is only proposed, not final.

"You [censored] meathead, when they change the statute it no longer makes any difference what the regulation says, the statute controls!"

If you get the same dude, a copy of their examination procedures should be all the evidence you need to supply. (Repeating my statement might not be in your best, long term interests.) wink

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2105896 - 11/03/16 06:40 PM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated peony
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Another dig that I have had clients use with examiners like this..."So does that also mean I can go back to just providing $100 next business day for Reg CC case-by-case holds?"

Return to Top
#2105909 - 11/03/16 07:21 PM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated peony
Beachbum, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Knee Deep in Regs
sounds like we need to start to a "what you should never say to an examiner" thread.

Return to Top
#2163535 - 02/07/18 08:32 PM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated Beachbum, CRCM
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
Have any changes been made to the regulation yet to match up to the statute (from the FAST Act amendments with regard to eliminating the annual privacy notice)?

Return to Top
#2163596 - 02/08/18 11:54 AM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated peony
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Nope.

Return to Top
#2163738 - 02/08/18 08:40 PM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated peony
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
At a recent regulator roundtable discussion I listened to, the panel addressed that. They basically said the FAST Act law that was passed overrides everything else, and institutions are safe in following the law. They said a proposal will be out to revise the regulation...eventually...sometime.....

Return to Top
#2163740 - 02/08/18 08:41 PM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated peony
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's like the Bureau discovered that the exam procedures have changed because the law effectively changed the regulatory requirements (all points made earlier), so they don't need to mess with updating the regulation. Um, no. Anyone looking at the regulation and not understanding the back-story of the tardy regulation amendment will be following the rule with the annual notice requirement. It's high time the CFPB followed through.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2171522 - 04/03/18 03:49 PM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated peony
SaaL Offline
Gold Star
The Texas Hill Country
So we share information with an affiliate that requires we provide opt-out. I believe the FAST exemptions from annual privacy notice mailings extend only to specific exemptions in Reg P, not FCRA. So in my situation, must we continue with an annual mailing?

Return to Top
#2171705 - 04/04/18 11:58 AM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated peony
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By SaaL
So we share information with an affiliate that requires we provide opt-out. I believe the FAST exemptions from annual privacy notice mailings extend only to specific exemptions in Reg P, not FCRA. So in my situation, must we continue with an annual mailing?
It is my understanding that if you include your FCRA opt-out on the Reg P model privacy form, then yes, you must continue the annual mailing. If, however, you provide a separate FCRA opt-out, then you can avoid sending the annual privacy notice and opt-out. The FCRA does not require an annual opt-out mailing, but you would have to send the privacy notice/opt-out annually if you take the optional approach and use the Reg P privacy notice for the delivery of your FCRA opt-out.

From the preamble to the July 1, 2016 proposal:
Section 624 of the FCRA and Regulation V also permit (but do not require) financial institutions to incorporate any opt-out disclosures provided under section 624 of the FCRA and subpart C of Regulation V into privacy notices provided pursuant to the GLBA and Regulation P.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2171744 - 04/04/18 02:24 PM Re: New Bill Passed - Annual Privacy Notice Eliminated peony
SaaL Offline
Gold Star
The Texas Hill Country
Thanks. I agree. I don't really see providing two notices as optimal even though it would help us with annual mailings. Affiliate opt-out is new for us and it is really complicating our notice process.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett