Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2080351 - 05/25/16 05:05 PM Return Reason
Dog Lady Offline
Does anyone know where I can find what return reasons should be used when? Not just ACH, but also check. I already have the list of returns reason - just don't know when which apply when it's not so obvious.

I'm hoping for something that break down appropriate return reason based on the item type (i.e. ACH (R08, ...), check (A-X), check converted to ACH) and the circumstance (i.e. NSF, not in list of checks provided for Positive Pay, Stop Payment Order on file for ACH item - repeat or one time, etc)

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2080362 - 05/25/16 05:28 PM Re: Return Reason Dog Lady
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
NACHA rules has a grid of ACH return reason codes, applicable uses, timeframes, as well as the cites of pertinent NACHA operating rule to reference if more info is needed. not aware of a commercially available grid like this for check returns.

Return to Top
#2080391 - 05/25/16 06:46 PM Re: Return Reason Dog Lady
Dog Lady Offline

Return to Top
#2083636 - 06/15/16 07:13 PM Re: Return Reason Dog Lady
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
I had reviewed the list in April's attachment several months ago because that list is more complete than the return reason codes given to us by our check processor. Unfortunately our check processor has not updated their processes and the list we've been using for the last few years is still the only one we can use (which unfortunately does not include "duplicate", "deceased" "counterfeit" etc. So the bulk of our returns that will not fit in any of our existing categories still probably go back as "refer to maker"

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett