Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Thread Options
#2079930 - 05/23/16 08:35 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
we started a small walking club (anywhere from 3-6 of us at a time). We walk about 2-2-1/4 miles a few days a week - some walk all 5.

Return to Top
#2079934 - 05/23/16 08:40 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Same rule applies to runners.

I've run 2 5k's this Spring. The first had 400 runners, and I ran horribly slow, so I was surprised to get a trophy for third in my age group. The second race had only a couple dozen runners and a bunch of walkers. I was fourth overall and beat the only other guy in my age group by about 5 minutes. Race number three is this weekend, but I haven't done any speed work. I've done 10 mile slow runs the last two weekends, but that doesn't help your 5k time.

There are 482 runners signed up for this weekend's 5K, including some fast guys, so I don't think there will be any prizes for me.

Return to Top
#2079935 - 05/23/16 08:41 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
so I don't think there will be any prizes for me.

The good health thingy does not count?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2079939 - 05/23/16 08:48 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
MBH - I am always astounded when runners say "they're faster than me so I can't win." when you trip a fast runner, their chance for injury is greater than that of a slow runner, because of speed x velocity x distance fallen. If that isn't sufficient to slow them up, "accidentally" step on them after you've tripped them. Ankles and calves are great places to step to inflict non-permanent speed killing contusions.

of course, not everyone has the stomach for this, so option 2 is pull a Rosie Ruiz...

Return to Top
#2079942 - 05/23/16 08:58 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Integrity = not taking the subway when competing in a marathon.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2079943 - 05/23/16 09:00 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I was thinking of bribing a 10 year old to stop dead in front of them to cause a collision. It happens so often no one would suspect anything.

And no, ed, good health isn't enough. After nearly sixty years of stinking at sports, I finally found one where I can occasionally win. So, I like the awards.

Return to Top
#2079944 - 05/23/16 09:13 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) HappyGilmore
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
2 is pull a Rosie Ruiz...

This just made my day! This sounds like a story straight out of Seinfeld.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2079989 - 05/24/16 02:11 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
back when I was stupid and a runner instead of a cyclist, one of my running partners used to register in an older age class because they couldn't beat 2 other people in their class...some people will do anything to win...

Return to Top
#2080828 - 05/27/16 01:55 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) MyBrainHurts
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By MyBrainHurts
.... After nearly sixty years of stinking at sports,.....

OK, how old are you? 70ish

Return to Top
#2080850 - 05/27/16 02:57 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) DD Regs
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
.... After nearly sixty years of stinking at sports,.....

OK, how old are you? 70ish

Obviously, nearly sixty. Especially that first year. Took me 12 months just to figure out walking. Try to hit a curve ball when you can't stand up.

The forecast has miraculously changed for tomorrow's 5k. I have no doubt it was a miracle, because it's sponsored by a local church. We've gone from 80% chance of thunderstorms at race time to 10% chance of showers.

Return to Top
#2080853 - 05/27/16 03:04 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) MyBrainHurts
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Try to hit a curve ball when you can't stand up.

Maybe you should wait until after the game to party. laugh

Return to Top
#2081262 - 06/01/16 02:15 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Need some advice... or maybe just encouragement! I am in plateau-land and getting frustrated and don't want to give into that frustration. Over about a year, I have lost 38 lbs... but it was 20, then about a 4-month plateau... and now 18 and about a month plateau. Due to some things in life (nothing horrible, just compounded!), I don't have it in me to do something drastic to shake it loose. I still have a LONG way to go in my weight journey - my big goal is 70 lbs, but my ultimate goal is 100 (and I still could lose another 25 or so after that...)

Any magic... ideas or words... would be welcome.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2081265 - 06/01/16 02:18 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
seem like you are doing a good job. plateaus happen just part of the happiness that is weigh loss. try a different exercise and see if it helps. Our you can just watch back episodes of the biggest looser and do noting that they suggest.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2081278 - 06/01/16 02:55 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Plateaus are merely your body showing that it's adjusting to your new lifestyle. Best way to fix that is to shake things up and make your body do new things or different things. What are you doing now? What's your routine that's gotten you this far in the last year?

Return to Top
#2081295 - 06/01/16 03:53 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Good point Matt. My routine definitely needs an adjustment - and more added to it. Most of the weight loss has been due more towards the nutrition side. I am very out of shape and have an ankle that has had 2 major surgeries in the last 20 years (the last one 2 1/2 yrs ago)... so I'm very leery of hurting it again. Last time I spent 4 months in a cast! We have a weight machine (don't know what specifically to call it), so I use that to do a lot of light excercises for my upper body... and I love to walk, but definitely need to add more of that to my schedule.

Return to Top
#2081304 - 06/01/16 04:16 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
edAudit... that last comment made me laugh! And kind of relates to my journey this time. I have many times over the last 30 years done crash diets, where I lose weight at a faster pace, but then I fall off the wagon and gain it back... and sometimes more :-( This time, I'm trying to purposefully make life-changing adjustments a bit at a time until they are solidified.

Return to Top
#2081305 - 06/01/16 04:21 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
To protect your ankle, you might try swimming. Do you have a YMCA with a pool nearby? They probably also have a water aerobics class.

Return to Top
#2081306 - 06/01/16 04:26 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) basilring
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By basilring
edAudit... that last comment made me laugh! And kind of relates to my journey this time. .

then I have fulfilled my task for the day and can go home. No need to worry that the fed will be in very shortly and then the state or have a meeting about my last review or get need stuff from current review.:)

CAMS

Return to Top
#2081393 - 06/01/16 08:25 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) edAudit
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Shake things up. Your body adjusts and becomes more efficient if you do the same exercise. I like this website (www.greatist.com) and there's a good article on why just running won't help a person lose weight (http://greatist.com/move/running-mistakes-not-losing-weight).

As mentioned above, try swimming if you have access to a gym. Or Insanity, H.I.I.T., or some other exercise where there are also modifications for low-impact.

Another thing--get plenty of sleep!

Return to Top
#2081420 - 06/01/16 09:21 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
and make sure you are also drinking lots of water...1 ounce for every 2 pounds of weight if you re active...

Return to Top
#2081613 - 06/02/16 09:00 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Sleep is my downfall! Always been a horrible sleeper... and have tried so many things to help, nothing works. I do drink lots of water... I've always been a big water drinker. Thank you for the links... I will check them out!

Last night my daughter and I took her 2 little guys in the stroller and walked a 'rails to trails' that goes through the small town I live near. The 2 1/2 year old even got out of the stroller and walked/ran for a bit too. The 1 year old took it all in. I'm not sure of the distance, but my pedometer measured over 4900 steps.

Return to Top
#2081618 - 06/02/16 09:09 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) basilring
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I do drink lots of water

You are a compliance officer booze is the requirement smile

https://www.caloriecount.com/

well worth the 97 calories per oz. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#2081719 - 06/03/16 04:21 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
MBrownie Offline
MBrownie
basilring - great job on your accomplishments! Speaking as someone who is also on the slow yet rewarding journey to better health, all accomplishments should be celebrated and we have to remember to just keep going. smile

Regarding your plateau, as others have recommended, change up your workout - and strength training is definitely what I would recommend (increases metabolism and you'll burn more calories @ rest), as well as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which is great for fat burning.

Strength training: do a little research on pinterest or google, whatever! There are many low impact items available - planks, mountain climbers, hand weights, squats etc. It's okay if you can't do very many, do what you can and increase as you get stronger. A great strength training article from Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/strength-training/art-20046670

Also for low impact (and my personal favorite), PiYo. It's a combination of pilates (core strength) and yoga (flexibility), a very enjoyable workout with great results and modifications for beginners.

For HIIT: A couple ideas I enjoy and utilize: use a timer and set for 1 minute intervals. Walk faster for 1 minute (work), walk slower 1 minute (recover), repeat for a 20-30 minute workout! I also change it up and walk fast for 2 minutes, rest (walk slow) for 30 seconds etc. Play with it and see what you enjoy. Another idea - if you have an iPod or use music, walk fast (push!) for 1 song, then walk slow (recover) for 1 song, repeat!

For nutrition, I've recently been reading about sugar intake. Women should only have about 6 tsp. of added sugar per day (about 24 grams) - which isn't much, trust me ( I have a big sweet tooth). Look at your labels to see what you're consuming. Keep in mind these are added sugars, it doesn't distinguish right now between naturally occurring sugar (fruit, lactose in milk, etc) and added. I tracked it for a few days and it was definitely eye-opening to see how much sugar I was consuming. I'm not going to cut it completely, but I've definitely decreased it and it has helped a lot. Just another tidbit that will hopefully help.

Return to Top
#2081764 - 06/03/16 05:53 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Great tips MBrownie! Thank you so much! Even just posting, I've felt a renewed energy to kick past this plateau. Fingers crossed!

Return to Top
#2081786 - 06/03/16 06:32 PM Re: Exercising / Eating Health(ier) Christina the Auditor
Christine81 Offline
Great job basilring! Do you like to bike?

Return to Top
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett