Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#208277 - 07/07/04 02:27 PM Frustration and Disappointment in Compliance
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm posting this anonymously because I'd rather no one trace it back, but I'm rather frustrated and disappointed. I've been doing compliance for over ten years and have been helping a relative with a unauthorized transaction issue under Reg E. The bank has been uncooperative; promising to send a response by a certain date, letting it go by without contact, etc. They haven't even followed the error resolution procedures, as this claim was made in November 2003 and they have yet to provide a written response. I advised the person to go to the OCC. Imagine my surprise when the letter came, six months after filing the complaint, and not only was it filled with misspellings and spacing errors, it was condescending and interpreted the regulation incorrectly.

The relative has since sent specific Reg E cites to the OCC, requesting a second review to occur in hopefully less than six months time, but I just find this whole experience frustrating and disappointing. What if this relative didn't know anyone who knew better? Why would the OCC send a letter that is so unprofessional?

I'm thinking about helping my relative write a letter to his representative and senators, as they would be the next level. Any other suggestions? I did help draft an e-mail to the OCC with cites of the regulation, indicating their interpretation was contrary to what was on the page and asked for a second review.

<sigh>

Return to Top
General Discussion
#208278 - 07/07/04 02:58 PM Re: Frustration and Disappointment in Compliance
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
What's the amount involved? I'd consider small claims court if it's within the dollar limit.

Return to Top
#208279 - 07/07/04 03:40 PM Re: Frustration and Disappointment in Compliance
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've found that copies of the complaint sent to local newspapers and TV stations sometimes gets the bank to listen. We have TV stations that go after people/businesses who are ripping people off. It seems to get the matter resolved rather quickly.

Return to Top
#208280 - 07/07/04 03:58 PM Re: Frustration and Disappointment in Compliance
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Was the letter from the OCC, or from the bank and through the OCC? Have you or the bank customer considered calling the Ombudsman's office and elevating the issue? My experience has been positive with them in that they seek "the answer", not the best answer for the customer or the bank, but the correct answer when it is a fact based question. It more gray when it becomes a customer service issue.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#208281 - 07/07/04 05:06 PM Re: Frustration and Disappointment in Compliance
Scooter Offline
100 Club
Scooter
Michigan
Perhaps you did this month's ago but your first post didn't indicate whether you contacted the bank's compliance officer or legal department.

I haven't had experience with the Ombudsman's office but I like that idea too.

Return to Top