Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2085411 - 06/27/16 07:10 PM NBFI Monitoring
Community Banker Offline
100 Club
We are a very small community bank. Up until this point we have never banked MSBs nor NBFIs. Management is wanting to begin banking NBFIs. Can someone point me in the right direction to find a checklist that will include all of the points that I will need to monitor as well as the documentation that I need to retrieve from customer? I am trying to determine the time that will be involved in this review process in hopes of creating a service charge that will at least offset some of the time that will have to go into monitoring these types of accounts. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2085423 - 06/27/16 07:23 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring Community Banker
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Your starting point should be the "Nonbank Financial Institutions - Overview" section of the FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual. While you won't find a checklist, you will find guidance as to the risk factors and risk mitigation activities. Since the NBFIs may run the gamut of a little to a lot of risk, it would be hard to determine the time involved until you've got some real cases with which to analyze.

Return to Top
#2085427 - 06/27/16 07:28 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring Community Banker
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
Agree with Doug. Start with the exam manual. Make sure Sr. Management understands that the exam manual helps outline "minimum" expectations of examiners. Your examiner expectations may vary (meaning could be way higher.)

Return to Top
#2085432 - 06/27/16 07:35 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring Community Banker
Community Banker Offline
100 Club
Thank you both for your comments! I will begin there.

Return to Top
#2085435 - 06/27/16 07:40 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring Community Banker
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
We just had our exam--no criticism on NBFI monitoring--we don't do anything across the board but check their licenses are current. Some of them hit high risk in our BSA software and if they do they get a high risk review, but there are many others who do not hit high risk.

Return to Top
#2085442 - 06/27/16 07:52 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring Community Banker
Community Banker Offline
100 Club
Thanks!

Return to Top
#2085455 - 06/27/16 08:09 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring Community Banker
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Developing a fee schedule to offset the costs of this customer vs. any other would be appropriate.

Return to Top
#2085531 - 06/28/16 01:22 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring Community Banker
BuckDog Offline
100 Club
Tennessee
As stated above, some NBFI are higher risk than others. We start out with a Questionnaire, they have to provide all licenses, if an MSB their registration with FinCen, a site visit and then Management approval who will determine if there is to be an additional fee to offset costs for monitoring. The question asks by the Examiner is "what is your process" and they have been okay with it.

Return to Top
#2205122 - 02/05/19 07:21 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring BuckDog
KGBanker Offline
New Poster
Washington
I know this is a few years ago, but would you be willing to provide a copy of NBFI questions? Do you ask for completion of AML certification from NBFI?

Return to Top
#2228146 - 01/02/20 04:39 PM Re: NBFI Monitoring Community Banker
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
Trying to sort out the numerous businesses that might be considered an NBFI. The manual is vague on insurance companies. Do you list all insurance companies as an NBFI just because they issue checks for claims, or just certain ones who may offer banking services?

Thanks for your help!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z