Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2086779 - 07/06/16 03:24 PM Lyft or Uber? Preference?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I've used Uber, but never Lyft, so am looking for opinions on each. Thanks!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2086781 - 07/06/16 03:27 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I can't do either. I tried to use Uber once and after cancelling the 4th driver I decided to just not drink that night.

My spidey(sp) sense tells me not to ride in cars with people I don't know.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2086795 - 07/06/16 03:56 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
I'm Not A Banker Offline
I'm Not A Banker
I've only used Uber, like you, but have had nothing but wonderful experiences. As a woman though, I haven't used it when by myself.

Return to Top
#2086797 - 07/06/16 04:04 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
yellow cab

CAMS

Return to Top
#2086809 - 07/06/16 04:45 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
The only way I'm hopping in some strangers car is if my M&P Shield is in my waistband. Given that I don't carry when drinking, no gun. No gun, no strange driver. It's a vicious circle of responsibility and distrust of my fellow human.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2086828 - 07/06/16 05:40 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I've used Uber twice, once by myself (with a wonderful driver) and once with a group (with a so-so driver). I've not used Lyft, but someone who had said it was about the same as Uber. I'll carry my pepper spray...

Return to Top
#2086857 - 07/06/16 06:58 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I've not used either service but have used Super Shuttle several times for rides to and from airports and have had some VERY sketchy drivers, so I wouldn't put too much more faith in using a regular taxi or shuttle than Uber or Lyft. Neither service is available locally so I would have to set everything up prior to traveling to use it, but I may consider it the next trip. While waiting for my late Super Shuttle ride at the hotel, an Uber or Lyft driver pulled in and I would have much rather traveled to the airport in their car than take the shuttle and pick up 5 other people along the way.

Return to Top
#2086943 - 07/07/16 01:17 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I don't know if Lyft is available around here but Uber is. I've used it a few times with no complaints.

There was that time I f@rted in the stranger's car when getting out. My overall rating is five so whatever that driver gave me didn't hurt that much if at all.

Return to Top
#2086946 - 07/07/16 01:25 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I don't know if Lyft is available around here but Uber is. I've used it a few times with no complaints.

But was there complaints from the customer after you? smile

CAMS

Return to Top
#2086963 - 07/07/16 02:15 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Back in the day, we were told not to talk to strangers and never to get in a car with one. Now we summon strangers so we can get in their car.

crazy

Return to Top
#2086965 - 07/07/16 02:17 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
True, but we've done that with taxis for forever!

Return to Top
#2086985 - 07/07/16 03:12 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Admits to not knowing much about this Uber stuff.

So how does it work? Is there a flat rate you pay?
Is there any type of Vetting of the drivers?

Return to Top
#2086990 - 07/07/16 03:28 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
From their website at help.uber.com

HOW DOES UBER WORK?

Uber is a technology platform that connects driver-partners with riders through a smartphone app.

In cities where Uber operates, you can use the app to request a ride. When a nearby driver-partner accepts your request, your app displays an estimated time of arrival for the driver-partner heading to your pickup location.

Your app notifies you when the driver-partner is about to arrive. You can also review info about the driver-partner who you will ride with, including first name, vehicle type, and license plate number. This helps the two of you connect at your pickup location.

Use your app to enter your preferred destination anytime before or during the ride. If you have a preferred route, it’s helpful to talk through the directions together.

When you arrive at your destination and exit the vehicle, your trip ends. Your fare is automatically calculated and charged to the payment method you’ve linked to your Uber account.

In some cities, Uber allows you to pay your fare in cash. Where this is an option, it must be selected before requesting a ride.

Immediately after a trip ends, your app will ask you to rate your driver with 1-5 Stars. Driver-partners are also asked to rate riders. Uber’s feedback system is designed to foster a community of respect and accountability for everyone.

CAN THE UBER APP TIP MY DRIVER?

The Uber app does not include a tip when billing you for a trip fare.

In most cities, Uber is a cashless experience. Tipping is voluntary. Tips are not included in the fare, nor are they expected or required.

As a rider, you are not obligated to offer your driver a gratuity in cash. If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept.

IS UBER ALWAYS AVAILABLE?

In cities where Uber operates, riders can request a ride anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In order to request a ride, you'll first set a pickup location. Before you request a ride, the pin on the map that indicates your pickup location also includes an estimated time of arrival. This ETA is calculated for nearby driver-partners.

After your ride request is matched with a driver-partner, ETA is updated to reflect their vehicle's travel time to your pickup location.

ETA for any pickup location may vary. It’s a good idea to check the ETA a few minutes before you’re ready to request a ride.

Return to Top
#2087356 - 07/11/16 01:56 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I've used Uber quite a lot and really enjoy it more than taxis. Most uber drivers are very sociable and want to talk which I like. A number of retired folks do this as do college students.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2087363 - 07/11/16 02:15 PM Re: Lyft or Uber? Preference? BBoyd
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I only use a taxi when in a large city, normally on vacation just to/from airport...my experience has been that the cab drivers are so busy on the phone that they don't have time to talk to me...

Return to Top