Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#2084235 - 06/20/16 06:15 PM Military Lending Act (MLA)
TaraTLR Offline
100 Club
I am doing my reading and research on the new MLA rules going into effect on 10/3/16. I know that the rule will not apply to residential mortgage transactions secured by a dwelling. What about land/lot loans? Any thoughts?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2084248 - 06/20/16 06:36 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Land/lot loans are covered transactions, if for consumer purpose.

Return to Top
#2084284 - 06/20/16 08:17 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If it isn't clearly an exception, it's covered.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2084608 - 06/22/16 03:52 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
nbk2yj2 Offline
Platinum Poster
Paradise!
Getting into this late, appreciate any help.

Reading under what qualifies as a potential MLA loan:

"Loan is not expressly for the purchase of a car or other personal property and secured by the property being purchased.

Someone please interpret."

Also, what would need to be updated in our LOS systems pertaining to fees if the APR military or not would not exceed 36%

Return to Top
#2084623 - 06/22/16 04:23 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
If an active duty servicemember buys a car and gets a loan for the purchase money secured by that car= not a covered loan.
If they want to refinance a loan secured by an car= covered transaction
If they want to take out a loan to buy a motorcycle and secure the loan with their SUV= covered transaction

Return to Top
#2087427 - 07/11/16 05:50 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
I need to take another look at the question on the coverage of lot loans.

I have been challenged on my original stance:
"A loan to purchase a lot and to be secured by the lot being purchased is not a covered transaction"

Challenge: A loan to purchase a lot and to be secured by the lot being purchased is a covered transactions because a lot is not considered personal property. Therefore, all lot loans would be covered because they are using the definition of personal property to not include any land/dirt.

Return to Top
#2087457 - 07/11/16 07:29 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
The exemption is for loans secured by a dwelling. It is silent about real estate, which means being secured by real estate (but not a dwelling) doesn't give you an exemption.

Return to Top
#2087459 - 07/11/16 07:33 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
And correct....real estate is not personal property.

Return to Top
#2087463 - 07/11/16 08:10 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
cowgirlsrule Offline
100 Club
Arkansas
How is everyone identifying their borrower as a Servicemember?

Return to Top
#2087469 - 07/11/16 08:18 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
CULady Online
Gold Star
WA
Credit report.

Possibly also using the batch check on the MLA website to check our entire membership twice a month to flag accounts. Still working out the details on that one.

Return to Top
#2087514 - 07/12/16 02:06 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
ComplyGuy Offline
Gold Star
We do about 30-40 per month and are just planning on checking the website.

CU, or anyone using the credit report, have you heard anything from the credit agency showing what this will look like on the report and if there will be additional cost?

Return to Top
#2087533 - 07/12/16 02:38 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The credit report will get it's info from the database.

CULady, are you checking the MLA database for SCRA purposes? Once a loan is done, knowing the MLA applies serves no purpose unless it's an audit or QC function, so I'm curious.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2087558 - 07/12/16 03:43 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Our CRA is not onboard as of yet. They have me down on their list of contacts once they are ready to go. Hopefully soon.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2087576 - 07/12/16 04:55 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
CULady Online
Gold Star
WA
We use Transunion and last I heard they said they will be ready to go in September. **fingers crossed** I believe they will have a special section in the alert area where it will indicate if they are a covered borrower or not. I believe there will be an additional cost, but have not heard what that will be.

Andy- We are a credit union, so whenever a new loan is added it will be added under the one account number. If we mark our accounts, we will know from the beginning whether or not MLA will apply. May or may not be helpful. But we can also use it to monitor when they are no longer a covered borrower and their open-end loans will no longer be considered covered and we can stop calculating the MAPR on a monthly basis.

Return to Top
#2087613 - 07/12/16 07:01 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Good to know CULady. We also use Transunion.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2087696 - 07/13/16 03:31 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We use Equifax and I have not seen anything if they will provide the code or not. I have sent in emails but not response. No one here seems to know who to contact.

Return to Top
#2087721 - 07/13/16 04:25 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
CULady, that makes sense especially from the open-end disclosure requirements. I was tunnel visioning on pre-consummation disclosures.

The CRAs are negotiating contracts with the DoD last I heard. It may well be that they won't set pricing to you until this is done.

Return to Top
#2087940 - 07/14/16 01:50 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) ahkcompliance
Minion Offline
Minion
Virginia
We attended a webinar with Equifax and below is what they said.

Equifax expects to offer Release 1 (System-to-System 5.0 via 5.0 format extension) in Production environments by mid-July 2016, subject to completion of DoD/CRA final contract. Release 1 programming is available in Equifax's Customer Testing environment starting May 11, 2016. Release 2 programming in Customer Test environments will occur in waves within an estimated four to eight weeks after Release 1, in late summer/early fall, followed by Production implementations in stages August through September. Release 2 includes prescreen and account review products, online ACRO 6.0 and platform implementations (Interconnect®, NextGen, Decision Power, and Equifax ePort®).

Return to Top
#2088408 - 07/15/16 08:50 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thanks Minion! I've sent emails but we have not received any response.

Return to Top
#2089916 - 07/26/16 03:11 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) Minion
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By Minion
We attended a webinar with Equifax and below is what they said.

Equifax expects to offer Release 1 (System-to-System 5.0 via 5.0 format extension) in Production environments by mid-July 2016, subject to completion of DoD/CRA final contract. Release 1 programming is available in Equifax's Customer Testing environment starting May 11, 2016. Release 2 programming in Customer Test environments will occur in waves within an estimated four to eight weeks after Release 1, in late summer/early fall, followed by Production implementations in stages August through September. Release 2 includes prescreen and account review products, online ACRO 6.0 and platform implementations (Interconnect®, NextGen, Decision Power, and Equifax ePort®).

Interestingly enough, I just went out and checked Eport and there is nothing on that websight that gives any information, yet, on MLA.

Return to Top
#2090115 - 07/27/16 03:01 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Last I knew they were still in contract negotiations, but that was weeks ago. This part of the process is moving slowly, but is obviously important.

Return to Top
#2090149 - 07/27/16 03:54 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
With the effective date October 3, does that mean APPLICATIONS as of October 3 are covered, or loans CLOSED as of October 3? Trying to find it in the text but haven't so far...

And I'm still trying to get my head around checking for military status in the 30 days prior to application...because we're psychic or something...

Return to Top
#2090152 - 07/27/16 04:03 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) TaraTLR
CULady Online
Gold Star
WA
I think this was gone over in another thread, but I believe it will be loans closed on or after 10/3. So loans that were started before that will have to be checked if they will close/funded on or after 10/3. We are hoping the credit bureaus (for us Transunion) will be ready to go prior to that date.

Return to Top
#2090153 - 07/27/16 04:05 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) CULady
CULady Online
Gold Star
WA
This thread is the one I was thinking of. Towards the bottom.

Return to Top
#2090238 - 07/27/16 07:07 PM Re: Military Lending Act (MLA) mtngrrl
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By mtngrrl
With the effective date October 3, does that mean APPLICATIONS as of October 3 are covered, or loans CLOSED as of October 3? Trying to find it in the text but haven't so far...

And I'm still trying to get my head around checking for military status in the 30 days prior to application...because we're psychic or something...

Here's how the 30 days prior to application was explained to me and it has to do with the credit report. Say you have a policy that says you can use a credit report obtained within the past 90 days for a new credit request (customer has another loan with you). The new rule says that you can only rely on that credit report if it was obtained within the 30 days prior to the new credit request if it is for a covered borrower.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z