Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2087253 - 07/08/16 07:18 PM Modification/Refinance Subject to Reg Z or not?
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
An interim construction loan went bad because a builder failed (not so much as even laid a foundation) & bailed. As such, the FI providing the perm has backed out. So now, the note has matured and the borrowers (and loan officer) simply want to "modify" the original loan (variable rate, interest only) to make it a fixed term (still a variable rate) in order to sell the property/land...as no dwelling was ever constructed.

First, could this even be considered a modification, especially after maturity? Or, is it most definitely a refi?

Second, although the original purpose was to provide financing to construct (and another FI provide permanent financing) a personal home, since the borrowers now just "want out," can they claim this was a business investment?

Bottom line: Reg Z applies, correct?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2087254 - 07/08/16 07:22 PM Re: Modification/Refinance Subject to Reg Z or not? M Cockrell
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
since the borrowers now just "want out," can they claim this was a business investment?

Was it at the time the loan was made? If not under what reasonable belief could it even remotely be claimed as a business purpose loan now?

If the loan has matured then in IMO you must treat it as a refinancing.

Return to Top
#2087266 - 07/08/16 07:51 PM Re: Modification/Refinance Subject to Reg Z or not? M Cockrell
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Agree with Dan on all counts.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2087270 - 07/08/16 07:53 PM Re: Modification/Refinance Subject to Reg Z or not? M Cockrell
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
Thanks, that's what I figured, but never hurts to ask, right?

Return to Top
#2087534 - 07/12/16 02:40 PM Re: Modification/Refinance Subject to Reg Z or not? Dan Persfull
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
Getting more info from the Credit Officer.

Due to multiple issues (e.g. failed builder, retaining wall improperly built on neighbor's land, mechanic's liens, tax liens, etc.), do we have any flexibility (to prevent us from losing position) under TDR guidance?

Return to Top
#2087768 - 07/13/16 06:24 PM Re: Modification/Refinance Subject to Reg Z or not? M Cockrell
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'm not sure how refinancing the loan properly would affect your position.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2087777 - 07/13/16 06:34 PM Re: Modification/Refinance Subject to Reg Z or not? M Cockrell
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I wouldn't mess with this without legal counsel being involved. I say that with my old "workout loan" hat on. This is not a situation where you want to make a mistake.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2087792 - 07/13/16 07:03 PM Re: Modification/Refinance Subject to Reg Z or not? RR Joker
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
I believe the CCO was concerned replacing the "existing obligation" would require filing a new note.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z